Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you pack unhealthy snack for your kids school everyday?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:53 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I didn't real all of this thread, because the topic makes my blood boil.

Why don't schools have a "no sharing food" policy? All public schools have this, and they are extremely strict about it because there are a variety of allergies, not to mention different religious beliefs. You eat what you bring, or you take a fruit from the "share table". No swapping allowed EVER.

Public schools also don't give out junk on a daily basis. There's a huge emphasis on nutritional education starting in the earliest grades.

For those of you who allow junk, or who allow the schools to give junk, how are your kids coping in school? I wonder how many of you have had the school insist that you get your kids evaluated, put on ADD meds, or who punish your kids for acting out?

How many kids come home and have huge meltdowns because all they've eaten that day is starch and sugar?

Whatever you eat, becomes the building blocks of your body. This is especially true when you are young and growing fast. Garbage in, garbage out.

Since when did we start letting our parenting be dictated by "Everyone else's parents let!"

My kids aren't supposed to share their snacks. They don't have ADHD or behavioral issues. Some of them have muscle tone issues or sensory issues that have nothing to do with food. My kids are overall strong students.

Look, I would love it if my kids ate healthy snacks all day. But my energy resources are limited and it's just easier to have them take packaged snacks and focus on healthier food at home.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:06 pm
This doesn't have to be so black and white.

Not all packaged food is junk food that is deliberately created to be addictive.

There's a lot of food in the middle of the spectrum, healthwise, between apples and oreos.

And 1-2 extremely picky kids who will literally rather starve than eat something that isn't a potato chip, eating pretzels instead of fruit, is not the same as 80% of a class eating cookies for snack while the other 20% stare enviously.

I don't judge parents who send nosh to school. It's their kid, they know the story better than I do. And in any case it's not my business.

I think a 'no packaged food' rule would be overkill.

But I do think schools need to get involved if there's a situation where junk food is becoming the norm. We're talking frum schools, yeah? They intervene in order to create the standards they want all the time. Nothing to do with judging individual parents, it's just finding a standard that everyone can live with.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:32 pm
What I meant about not doing well in school was that lots of kids don’t do well, and their not doing well is very much tied to what they eat, whether they recognize it or not. Same as with everything else in the world, a proportion of kids will do well no matter what [they eat], and a proportion will have to work really hard on their health. It’s a fact that schools are full of kids struggling behaviorally, academically and emotionally, and many of these children would be a lot better off on a clean diet. It’s in schools own best interest to feed kids nourishing foods.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
What I meant about not doing well in school was that lots of kids don’t do well, and their not doing well is very much tied to what they eat, whether they recognize it or not. Same as with everything else in the world, a proportion of kids will do well no matter what [they eat], and a proportion will have to work really hard on their health. It’s a fact that schools are full of kids struggling behaviorally, academically and emotionally, and many of these children would be a lot better off on a clean diet. It’s in schools own best interest to feed kids nourishing foods.

Some kids don’t do well because that’s how the world was created. In every class there are the smart, average and lower level students.

I would venture to say that a low level of concentration would be related to screen time rather than having some cookies and pretzels as a snack in school.

Honestly you seem a little over the top when it comes to healthy food.

There is a always the golden middle way.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:52 pm
Our kids school have a rule "no Shehokol" snacks/food.
That only rules out candies and similar junk.
Super snacks, wafers and cookies are mezonos.....
Oh well...

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:56 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Some kids don’t do well because that’s how the world was created. In every class there are the smart, average and lower level students.

I would venture to say that a low level of concentration would be related to screen time rather than having some cookies and pretzels as a snack in school.

Honestly you seem a little over the top when it comes to healthy food.

There is a always the golden middle way.
Nope. Adhd, processing disorders and learning disabilities have causes, and they have been heavily linked in scientific literature to gut health. Food dyes especially have been linked to hyperactivity. I dont care if you think I’m extreme (in ideology only, irl unfortunately my kids eat pretty similarly to their peers), I think feeding kids foods that have been shown in the literature to beinflammatory, neurotoxic and endocrine disrupting is extreme.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:10 pm
My son had a Rebbi once year that said only fruit and vegetables. Most days my son ate no snacks. A fruit or vegetable that's been in his backpack since 8 am is not very appealing. Also not very filling.
I think a no candy rule is a good idea. But most kids aren't bringing candies. They are bringing cookies and chips.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
Kids who eat danishes and Pringle’s consistently may not be hungry, but they don’t do well in school either.

My kids are all well behaved top students.

I agree wiyh everything in theory. Just practically it's not so simple.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:07 pm
My 14 yr old daughter is very picky and doesnt eat any takeout. There's be nothing to eat at mcdonalds for her. She also doesn't like snack bags. She does eat a certian kind of wafer. She usually takes 6 for snack.

My kid was just eating a lolly he got from school but threw it out when he saw I was washing cabbage. It doesn't mean he will bring cabbage to school. (Although my 12dd does).

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
Really? My kids have great eating habits thank you. They are not so young anymore. And you made a massive jump from "a cookie and bag of chips" to "eating yummy addictive treats all day". Hyperbole wont help make your point. I do not consider a bag of chips and a cookie to be a treat. My kids have a balanced diet of healthy and less so.

I didn't make a jump at all. For most people, chips are yummy and addictive. Just watch people with an open bag of chips...most people keep going and going. Adults too.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:46 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Yes. Reading this thread and very glad my younger kids' schools insist on a sandwich (or similar) and fruit or vegetable for lunch. When junk food isn't right in front of their face, they don't beg for it.

In general I don't get this mentality of 'if you don't let them have it, they'll just try to be sneaky about it.' Like, yes, that's true, but it's also true of pretty much anything that other kids are doing right in front of them. If the school allowed the kids to sit around watching cartoons instead of learning history, I'm sure my kids would be begging to do that, too. And... ?

YES! So for everyone who is saying let the kids make their own choices, do you also let them make their own choices about whether they should bathe and brush their teeth? Isn't childhood about us teaching them how to make GOOD choices?

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:50 pm
keym wrote:
Good to know.
I'll tell my kids who eats 1-2 snack bags a day that they really didn't do well in school notwithstanding what their report card says.

Are you this militant about all other safety needs.
Because I get more irritated about my kids friends who don't wear helmets while biking and roller blading and making comments if my son does wear a helmet.
Because helmet wearing is actually not a sum total thing.
If I wanted to start up with my neighbors, it would be about helmet wearing, and boys hitching, and buckling in the cars.

Yes, we are 100% on top of helmets and seat belts. Nobody rides without one and I won't drive an inch if someone isn't buckled.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Please tell me what ds should eat at school for snack. For sensory reasons, it has to be crunchy. He has braces, so no whole fruit, no carrot sticks, and the like. As per school rules, no nuts or anything containing them. He won't eat anything that goes brown or mushy, even around the edges, and yes, we've tried the rubber band trick. And most importantly, it will be eaten while standing up in the playground or blacktop, quickly, with whatever it's in getting discarded.

So yes, usually chips or thin pretzels or crunchy cookies. I challenge anyone who requires the snacks to be fruits and veggies to help with this.

There's a lot in between. That's the point everyone seems to be missing.
Examples:
-whole wheat pretzels
-nut-free granola balls (sold at costco and trader joes, as well as kosher stores)
-popcorn (healthier type)
-baby corn
-whole wheat knockers
-string cheese
-yogurt tube
-Landau's makes a lot of healthier snack options, such as baked potato crisps etc.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:55 pm
Zehava wrote:
And here my kids are bored in school because they get the material three days before their friends do.
But I guess you know how they’re doing no better than me?

I don't think she means academically

keym

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Yes, we are 100% on top of helmets and seat belts. Nobody rides without one and I won't drive an inch if someone isn't buckled.

Are you this militant about your kids FRIENDS helmet use?

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
YES! So for everyone who is saying let the kids make their own choices, do you also let them make their own choices about whether they should bathe and brush their teeth? Isn't childhood about us teaching them how to make GOOD choices?

I do give choices. I don't fight with kids to shower. I don't care. If you smell. You wont have friends.

As they get older they shower.

I think picking your battles is very child dependent. I'm not going to fight over everything. Different kids have different battles.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I don't think she means academically

Ya got me some have ADHD and they’re all gifted. But hey so we’re dh and I. We gave our teachers hell, healthy snacks notwithstanding.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:02 pm
small bean wrote:
I do give choices. I don't fight with kids to shower. I don't care. If you smell. You wont have friends.

As they get older they shower.

I think picking your battles is very child dependent. I'm not going to fight over everything. Different kids have different battles.

I don’t pick battles. I aim to live in peace with my offspring.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:04 pm
keym wrote:
Are you this militant about your kids FRIENDS helmet use?

Oh, I go on the same rant about kids not wearing helmets. I just don't get it. The same way I don't get this.
I have written to local publications about the helmet and seat belt issue.
I'm not being militant about anyone else's kids in either area, just expressing surprise that in a well-educated community, parents make such poor choices. (not referring to the occasional super picky eater, but the general population). both food wise and safety wise.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:05 pm
Bh my kids school doesn't let kids brings junk food to school. They get fruit from the school in primary and then every day there is a time just for eating fruit or vegetables. Now in day camp they are allowed one snoep a day.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children