Home

Do you bake challos in a meat or dairy oven
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:49 am
because I was told to keep my oven parve.

I don't have three ovens and want to be able to bake dairy in the oven.

Your ideas or solutions?
Back to top

cinderella22




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:51 am
Clean meat oven. No residue. Try to make sure it is not ben yomo. Since the challah counts as davar yavesh, it is fully parve unless you are baking any meaty liquids at the same time.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:51 am
I use a small toaster oven for dairy. Except for before Shavuos, I make my big oven dairy and then self clean it to go back to pareve. I bake only in my pareve oven otherwise.
Back to top

amother




Birch
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:51 am
I have just one oven where I bake everything.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:55 am
cinderella22 wrote:
Clean meat oven. No residue. Try to make sure it is not ben yomo. Since the challah counts as davar yavesh, it is fully parve unless you are baking any meaty liquids at the same time.

Yup. Clean fleishig oven with no drips. Try for ben yomo, and challah is parve.


Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
I have just one oven where I bake everything.


Me too.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:11 pm
do different communities have different halachos when it comes to this?
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:14 pm
I burn my oven out by self cleaning it if it’s not pareve , before I bake challah.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yup. Clean fleishig oven with no drips. Try for ben yomo, and challah is parve.
Can you smear cream cheese on such challah?
Back to top

amother




Birch
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:18 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Can you smear cream cheese on such challah?


I don't. I only use my challa for the meals.
Back to top

losingweight




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:18 pm
fleishig oven. My shabbos meals are fleishig. Leftover challa, if there's any, gets made into breadcrumbs to be used on chicken.
Back to top

SafeAtLast




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do different communities have different halachos when it comes to this?


Yes. Ask your LOR.
I think some people bake it in a different shape if they use a milchig oven.
Back to top

amother




Petunia
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:20 pm
My “dairy” oven is pareve. All baking, fish and veggies go in there.
I rarely cook dairy and when I do, I use my toaster oven.
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:24 pm
I bake challah in the meat oven, since it is primary used on Shabbos during the seudas, which are always meat. The only exception is before Shavuos, since we do have 1-2 dairy meals, so in order for them to be truly pareve I self-clean my oven before baking. This way they can all be baked the same shape and I don't have to keep track.
Back to top

amother




Oldlace
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do different communities have different halachos when it comes to this?


Franky it’s those who live in ore affluent communities who have this Shaila. The rest of the world has 1 oven and you use it for everything. There are well publicized psakim about how to make it work halachically.


(I’ve never met anyone in real life who has 2 ovens)
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Franky it’s those who live in ore affluent communities who have this Shaila. The rest of the world has 1 oven and you use it for everything. There are well publicized psakim about how to make it work halachically.


(I’ve never met anyone in real life who has 2 ovens)


I actually have two full size ovens - one for meat and the other for dairy. I still bake my challahs in the meat one. I know others who do as well. I do not have a fancy house or a fancy kitchen, but do have enough room for 2 oven and 2 dishwashers and it makes life so much easier.
Back to top

amother




Vanilla
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
do different communities have different halachos when it comes to this?

Chabad, and as per the Alter Rebbe's Shulchan Aruch, we hold that you can't switch over from meat to dairy on a constant basis. If you want to convert it once and use it that way, that's fine, but we don't go back and forth.
Back to top

amother




Oldlace
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I actually have two full size ovens - one for meat and the other for dairy. I still bake my challahs in the meat one. I know others who do as well. I do not have a fancy house or a fancy kitchen, but do have enough room for 2 oven and 2 dishwashers and it makes life so much easier.


1000% it’s easier. But either you redid your kitchen at great expense or you bought a custom home or you have a kitchen large enough to accommodate this. Either way it comes down to (and I don’t say this to sound rude or gd forbid jealous) $ and not frumkeit. Sorry to say but 2 ovens and 2 dishwashers only exists in large kitchens. As I said I don’t knew Anyone in real life who has this (only on Imamother) for those who have the space and the $, kol hakavod!
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:49 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Chabad, and as per the Alter Rebbe's Shulchan Aruch, we hold that you can't switch over from meat to dairy on a constant basis. If you want to convert it once and use it that way, that's fine, but we don't go back and forth.
I'm not chabad but chassidish and we hold this as well.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:57 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I'm not chabad but chassidish and we hold this as well.

My rav is not Chasidish or Chabad and he holds this as well. I do change from pareve to fleishig but not milchig to fleishig . The reason why we can’t do it on a constant basis is because we could come to forgetting what it was last changed to and can accidentally bake fleishigs in a milchig oven or vise versus.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
French labeled meat, what to do? 5 Yesterday at 10:02 am View last post
by zaq
Lakewood dairy restaurant open tonight
by amother
1 Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:23 pm View last post
Where to buy meat boards
by amother
2 Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:22 pm View last post
Best Dairy Restaurant in Boca Raton
by amother
1 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:08 pm View last post
Easy healthy ground meat recipe 13 Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:18 pm View last post