Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Same or change

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:08 pm
Same pay.

Option 1
Stay at job.
Pros: nice coworkers
Job stability
Good at what I do (though it’s not at all interesting)
Nice employer

Cons:
Probably not much room for financial growth
Not getting out of my comfort zone and seeing what my potential is

Option 2:
Take job offer elsewhere
Pros:
New, interesting position. I’m not sure if I would do well at it but they really want me and they think I will do well.
More meaningful and interesting work
Possibly a little more room for financial growth

Employer and coworkers seem nice but who knows??

Cons:
Unsure about job stability because I don’t know if they’ll be happy with me (although I have made most of my employers very happy in the past, this is a new skill set)
Slightly more stressful because it’s a change!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:32 pm
How long have you been at your current job? How is the compensation (both pay and benefits) at the new offer? What do you mean by “possibly a little more room for financial growth” (ie, how much growth is possible and over what timeline)? Which job looks better on your resume for your next job change?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 12:43 pm
challahchallah wrote:
How long have you been at your current job? How is the compensation (both pay and benefits) at the new offer? What do you mean by “possibly a little more room for financial growth” (ie, how much growth is possible and over what timeline)? Which job looks better on your resume for your next job change?

4 years at my current job.
If I would stay, I would probably be at the top of what I could make here.

Whereas if I start out at the new place, I’d be starting with the same pay but have potential for small raises yearly.

But who knows if they’ll like me at the new place and if my skills will indeed be a match for the job even though they seem to think I’m a good fit. (Maybe I am selling myself short by talking this way- who knows.)

Resume: both look good.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 1:09 pm
Since you’ve already been at your current place for four years, now could be a good time to switch. Change is always scary, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. You’ll only get more set at your current place the longer you stay. Plus, you have the chance to develop new skills while doing more meaningful and fulfilling work. I would try to negotiate for an increase in pay, though. You say they really want you, and often when you change jobs is the best opportunity for large pay jumps. Good luck in whatever you decide!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 1:18 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Since you’ve already been at your current place for four years, now could be a good time to switch. Change is always scary, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. You’ll only get more set at your current place the longer you stay. Plus, you have the chance to develop new skills while doing more meaningful and fulfilling work. I would try to negotiate for an increase in pay, though. You say they really want you, and often when you change jobs is the best opportunity for large pay jumps. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Thanks. This is really helpful!
Change is scary but you’re right that I’ll only get more set.

It is a pay increase (a large one). My current place would raise my current salary to match it. That’s why I feel limited, because if I’m asking my current place to jump so much I can’t ask for a raise next year. Whereas in a new place, I don’t feel as limited.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 1:24 pm
My friend had a dilemma where she thought she was biting off more than she could chew with a new position, but she figured it would look good on her resume.
Sure enough, it didn't work out, but it was a stepping stone on her resume and looks good for future employers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 1:26 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
My friend had a dilemma where she thought she was biting off more than she could chew with a new position, but she figured it would look good on her resume.
Sure enough, it didn't work out, but it was a stepping stone on her resume and looks good for future employers.

Why did she think it was biting off more than she could chew?

And how long did she stay there that it made a difference On her resume?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. This is really helpful!
Change is scary but you’re right that I’ll only get more set.

It is a pay increase (a large one). My current place would raise my current salary to match it. That’s why I feel limited, because if I’m asking my current place to jump so much I can’t ask for a raise next year. Whereas in a new place, I don’t feel as limited.

If you’ve already told your current place that you have this other offer and they’ve given you a counter offer to match it, I really do recommend moving on unless there’s a compelling reason not to. As you said, once you’ve taken a counter offer, future raises are limited. Also, they may think of you as partly out the door (even subconsciously), and as a result you may not get the projects you would have or you could be first on the chopping block if there are layoffs, etc.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why did she think it was biting off more than she could chew?

And how long did she stay there that it made a difference On her resume?

It was a higher level position than she previously had at her other jobs
It was a few months, and yes it made a difference.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 7:41 pm
My experience is showing me that moving jobs does end up earning more in the long run - don't get stuck in the job. Getting stuck can cause stagnation. It's hard to change but you should move on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics