Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it wrong to charge my neighbors - pool rental?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:43 pm
I rent out my pool (thru swimply) and some neighbors are asking if they can rent the pool in the afternoons. Is it funny to charge them? I would give them a discounted rate, but they are taking a paying slot

sky

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:51 pm
If they swim with you - free
If you lend it to them when you rent - pay
If you aren’t using swimply don’t charge them swimply cut.
If you want to be really nice tell them last minute if no one rents it for free or discount.
If you let one neighbor for free you have to let all and it gets sticky.
We pay to use neighbor pool. Neighbors see it that we contribute to keeping pool open.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 5:53 pm
sky wrote:
If they swim with you - free
If you lend it to them when you rent - pay
If you aren’t using swimply don’t charge them swimply cut.
If you want to be really nice tell them last minute if no one rents it for free or discount.
If you let one neighbor for free you have to let all and it gets sticky.
We pay to use neighbor pool. Neighbors see it that we contribute to keeping pool open.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I’m curious - how much do you pay your neighbor? Is $35 fair - in Lakewood?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:13 pm
I personally think it is very tacky to charge your neighbors. But if you rent out your pool dont give them a time where you would get payment. Let them know like last minute type if its available.

ddmom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:35 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
I personally think it is very tacky to charge your neighbors. But if you rent out your pool dont give them a time where you would get payment. Let them know like last minute type if its available.

I think it depends on how many neighbors want to use it! Is it 10 families asking on a regular basis? Or immediate neighbors, like one on the right and one on the left?
It's a huge advantage to have a good relationship with neighbors.
But it can't take over all your rental hours if you're looking to cover the cost of owning a pool!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:42 pm
My neighbors charge neighbors to rent it out. I don’t see an issue.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:47 pm
Don’t see the problem with charging. I have a service business and I charge everyone regular price, friends, families and strangers alike. They are welcome to use someone else.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:51 pm
I’ve rented my neighbor’s pool in Lakewood ($35 weekday, $40 Fri or Sun). Have no problem with it. She’s the one paying for upkeep. Occasionally she looks for someone to go swimming with her, obviously for free.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 6:52 pm
Yes, charge them. They want a pool in a convenient location and are willing to pay. If you want to offer it free sometimes as well because you have an empty slot, go for it. But I see no reason not to rent to your neighbors.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:26 pm
My neighbors charge neighbors to use their pool. Why not? They don't owe us anything just because we're neighbors.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Why are neighbors entitled the use of their neighbors pool free of charge? The neighbor doesn't owe them use of their pool.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:38 pm
I personally feels a lot more comfortable using my neighbors pool if she charges me for it. I would rent out an other pool anyhow, and its a lot more convenient to use the pool on the block.
I would never ask for it if she wouldnt charge.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:52 pm
My neighbor lets ppl rent for an hr for $25

It covers costs of upkeep, maintenance, etc

I'm located OOT

shmosmom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 7:55 pm
$40 an hour seems fair. How much would they pay if they rent it through Swimply?

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:06 am
Of course neighbors should charge. If you rent your pool to others, it's like a business.
If someone is a sheitel macher, she shouldn't charge her neighbors?
If your neighbor does make up, or waxing, or manicures, you shouldn't have to pay?
OP, treat your neighbors just like every other paying customer. Charge the same amount you get from swimply, I don't see the issue. They will be getting a discount because they won't have to pay the swimply fee.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:44 am
just curious are you booked all the time through swimply? that would make a difference.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:50 am
I have a pool and never charge neighbors to use it. I substitute the word "neighbor" for "friend" and it seems obvious. I wouldn't charge my friends so I don't charge my neighbors who are also my friends.

Obviously if it's getting out of hand and 5 families are asking every day then boundaries would have to be set. Otherwise I don't charge. Just like if my kid and a friend miss the school bus and I drive I don't charge an uber fee. Very similar. I want to have a good relationship with my neighbors. The pool is just sitting there. I let them use it with a smile.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I have a pool and never charge neighbors to use it. I substitute the word "neighbor" for "friend" and it seems obvious. I wouldn't charge my friends so I don't charge my neighbors who are also my friends.

Obviously if it's getting out of hand and 5 families are asking every day then boundaries would have to be set. Otherwise I don't charge. Just like if my kid and a friend miss the school bus and I drive I don't charge an uber fee. Very similar. I want to have a good relationship with my neighbors. The pool is just sitting there. I let them use it with a smile.

That's so nice of you, but I dont think the Uber example is comparable.
The example would be - if your neighbor's kid needed a ride to school and you drove him for free. I'm not saying you would charge an Uber fee, but if your own kid wasnt included you might very well feel taken advantage of. Like who would ask their neighbor to take someone else's kid to school for free?
If my kid and a friend were swimming in my pool, of course that child is our guest. But if my 12 neighbors all want to "borrow" my pool, which costs money to maintain, why wouldn't I charge? Especially since the OP does get income from her pool via Swimply.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:06 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:

But that pool just sitting there costs alot of $ to open for the season and maintain. I think the neighbors sharing in that cost is very reasonable. Also, some people open the pool with the plan that renting it out will help cover the costs, and I think that makes alot of sense.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:07 am
essie14 wrote:
That's so nice of you, but I dont think the Uber example is comparable.
The example would be - if your neighbor's kid needed a ride to school and you drove him for free. I'm not saying you would charge an Uber fee, but if your own kid wasnt included you might very well feel taken advantage of. Like who would ask their neighbor to take someone else's kid to school for free?
If my kid and a friend were swimming in my pool, of course that child is our guest. But if my 12 neighbors all want to "borrow" my pool, which costs money to maintain, why wouldn't I charge? Especially since the OP does get income from her pool via Swimply.

I don't agree with that example at all because if I only drove my neighbors kid then I'm giving up my time. My pool is just sitting there and I am not inconvenienced or burdened in any way by allowing neighbors to use it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette