Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it wrong to charge my neighbors - pool rental?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:12 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I don't agree with that example at all because if I only drove my neighbors kid then I'm giving up my time. My pool is just sitting there and I am not inconvenienced or burdened in any way by allowing neighbors to use it.

Fair enough and that's nice you feel that way.
But every time someone uses a pool, there are maintenance costs associated with it. IMO it's not "just sitting there".
It has to be cleaned, the area around it might get dirty, more chemicals have to be added if people are swimming in it. Etc.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:14 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I don't agree with that example at all because if I only drove my neighbors kid then I'm giving up my time. My pool is just sitting there and I am not inconvenienced or burdened in any way by allowing neighbors to use it.

Except that the op rents it out so she is being inconvenienced if someone uses it at a time she could have rented it and made money.

I actually opened this thread ready to be annoyed at the selfish person who’s charging her neighbors to swim. But then I read the op, and I realized that based on her circumstances, there is nothing wrong with charging the neighbors.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:19 am
I have a coworker who rents out her pool and does the same for friends. You would be amazed at how many people are suddenly your best friend when you have a pool. There is friends/ relatives/ coworkers, kid’s friends, etc. there is no end to how many people will want it

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:26 am
essie14 wrote:
Of course neighbors should charge. If you rent your pool to others, it's like a business.
If someone is a sheitel macher, she shouldn't charge her neighbors?
If your neighbor does make up, or waxing, or manicures, you shouldn't have to pay?
OP, treat your neighbors just like every other paying customer. Charge the same amount you get from swimply, I don't see the issue. They will be getting a discount because they won't have to pay the swimply fee.

The issue is that you are opening the pool anyways whats the skin off your back if your neighbors want to use it when its not in use and you are not renting it out. I would never charge! I would also never ask someone I am not friends with to borrow their pool.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:55 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
The issue is that you are opening the pool anyways whats the skin off your back if your neighbors want to use it when its not in use and you are not renting it out. I would never charge! I would also never ask someone I am not friends with to borrow their pool.

But she does rent it out to others.

And having people hang out on your property is a pain.
If she bothers with it she may as well get compensated.

She may not be in the mood of sending her husband and son's out of the house so they don't see girls swimming in their backyards, of there is no money in it for her.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

rgr

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:57 am
Every person who swims "uses up" some of the chlorine in the pool. Chlorine prices skyrocketed this year

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:03 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Some people open the pool with the game plan of charging to help with the costs. Reality is they really can't afford the extra expense in the summer, but neighbors and renters who pay make them break even.

I have a close friend who has a pool and she does this.

And there's constant traipsing thru her yard, and interrupting her for this, that and the other thing, and cleanup and maintenance and more chemicals....all of which she deserves compensation for.

I purposely did not buy a house with a pool for alot of these reasons, when I moved a few years ago. Just something I did not want.

We pay for the use of a pool during the summer months, we don't expect a free ride...

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:05 am
Pool upkeep and maintenance is practically a full time job. My husband's aunt let's us come and go as we please. And it's sooooo kind of her. But we always wish we could offer to help her maintain the pool (maybe even pay to heat it)

She would never take any money from us. So my husband finds ways to help them in the house instead.

If I had a neighbor with a pool and I wanted to use their pool on a frequent to occasional basis I would absolutely want to contribute somehow.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:09 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Who says she's opening the pool anyways??
My sister only opened the pool because someone else wanted to use it and it was worth it for them to pay the fees. It wasn't worth it for my sister financially.
OP opened it with the intention of renting it out which should help cover the fees.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:09 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I have a coworker who rents out her pool and does the same for friends. You would be amazed at how many people are suddenly your best friend when you have a pool. There is friends/ relatives/ coworkers, kid’s friends, etc. there is no end to how many people will want it

OMG this.

I used to live in a condominium complex that had a pool with separate swimming hours. I remember years ago meeting someone who I knew only vaguely, friend of a friend, and was surprised when she said to me, oh you live there....great, I'm friends with you, can I come to swim as your guest?

Guess what, they made a "no free guests" policy really quickly, because the pool got too crowded with everyone's "friends".

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:58 am
Lol!! I have friends that only call me in July and August too!!! LOL

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:34 am
I would want them to book through swimply. If they dont, are they covered with the insurance if c'v something happens?
if they're your good neighbors invite t hem when you're swimming for company, if they want private family time - then swimply it is. just provide a link to your profile etc.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Many people don't open their pool anyways. We go swimming to a family friend on Fridays and Sundays. We pay her. She only opens the pool on the account that camps and people will rent it out.
Neighbors aren't entitled to free use of the pool just because they're neighbors.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:01 pm
OP, it seems that you consider your pool a business rather than a feature of your home. In that case, it is entirely appropriate to charge neighbors for pool use.

They are paying not only for the pool use, but for the privacy. You presumably agree not to use not only the pool, but the adjacent yard from which the pool can be seen.

It would be entirely different if you were also using the pool, or not agreeing not to be in the yard or anywhere from which the pool can be seen.

As someone else said, you need them to rent through swimply for the insurance.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:04 pm
rgr wrote:
Every person who swims "uses up" some of the chlorine in the pool. Chlorine prices skyrocketed this year

Chlorine does not cost 50-75 dollars an hour, please!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:16 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

Neighbors are not entitled to their neighbors pools. Period.
Having people on your property is a pain.
People coming into your house to use the bathroom is annoying.
Getting the men out of the house when women are there is a bother.

Pool owners deserve to be compensated if their pool is used.

Unless you are invited over by the pool owner to join her, you should offer to pay.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:22 pm
I’ve had neighbors who never had much to do with me ask to use my pool whenever they want, I don’t rent it out because I didn’t think that was legal. But still it’s a weird feeling of being used.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:23 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Neighbors are not entitled to their neighbors pools. Period.
Having people on your property is a pain.
People coming into your house to use the bathroom is annoying.
Getting the men out of the house when women are there is a bother.

Pool owners deserve to be compensated if their pool is used.

Unless you are invited over by the pool owner to join her, you should offer to pay.

You can say the same about anything else. Neighbors cannog use my swingseg withoug paying. Yes in theory you may be right but if no one is renting the pool at the moment and a friend or neighbor would like to borrow it is seems petty beyond to nickel and dime them, whats the difference to you if you are say not home or not using it. Yes if your family is there or ur renting it by all means say no. But charging neighbors and capitalizing on something you are using anyways just looks very annoying

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:

How much does it cost to maintain a pool over the summer?
. Opening, water, chemicals, electricity, maintenance, cleaning, closing.
It’s a few thousand dollars. Many ppl open their pool assuming rentals will cover the cost.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
You can say the same about anything else. Neighbors cannog use my swingseg withoug paying. Yes in theory you may be right but if no one is renting the pool at the moment and a friend or neighbor would like to borrow it is seems petty beyond to nickel and dime them, whats the difference to you if you are say not home or not using it. Yes if your family is there or ur renting it by all means say no. But charging neighbors and capitalizing on something you are using anyways just looks very annoying

When neighbors use your swing you don’t have to tell your husband and sons not to go outside.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette