Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When is shabbos night?

What does "shabbos Night" mean
Friday night  
 89%  [ 86 ]
Motzei shabbos  
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 96

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:11 pm
Every now and then someone says something about 'shabbos night'. And then a discussion ensues as to what each person considers shabbos night to be. Friday night or motzei shabbos. And if you say it depends on the context of the conversation, in this scenario, it obviously isn't clear which night they mean.

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:13 pm
How could Shabbos night mean motzai shabbos? Motzai shabbos isn't Shabbos

observer

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:18 pm
I have also wondered about this!
agreer wrote:
How could Shabbos night mean motzai shabbos? Motzai shabbos isn't Shabbos

I think some people translate Saturday night to Shabbos night.

happy chick

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:22 pm
Shabbos is equivalent to Saturday. So shabbos night would be Saturday night.
There's a class someone started called "shabbos night live". Lol

ETA - I'm not saying this is the correct way. Just thinking this makes more sense.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:30 pm
happy chick wrote:
Shabbos is equivalent to Saturday. So shabbos night would be Saturday night.
There's a class someone started called "shabbos night live". Lol

ETA - I'm not saying this is the correct way. Just thinking this makes more sense.

Thursday night is the night of Thursday. Because shabbos starts at night, the night of shabbos would be Friday night. (In my mind) There’s shabbos/Friday night and shabbos/Saturday day, and then Mitzi shabbos is after shabbos.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:34 pm
I heard someone give a shiur about this. Fascinating, but I can't remember who. Some people davka call motzei Shabbos Shabbos night as a way to add on to Shabbos. I don't remember what Friday night is called then. But to me, Shabbos night is Friday night.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:10 pm
I don't know, which is why I never use that expression. I say Friday night or Motzaei Shabbat. Unless you're deliberately obfuscating, in which case you are either a politician, a lawyer, or a seller of used cars, why be ambiguous when you can be perfectly clear?

shanie5

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:41 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't know, which is why I never use that expression. I say Friday night or Motzaei Shabbat. Unless you're deliberately obfuscating, in which case you are either a politician, a lawyer, or a seller of used cars, why be ambiguous when you can be perfectly clear?

I don't use the term, but someone used it with me. As in "I'd like to make an appointment for Shabbos night". The first time it happened, I realized we were discussing different nights. Now I specify "Friday night? Sure!" Though for me it means Motzei shabbos (and DH insists it's Friday night).

I agree, it's much easier to say Friday night or motzei shabbos.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:43 pm
From the Times of Israel: https://blogs.timesofisrael.co.....r-le/

Leil means: the evening of. So leil shabbat is: Shabbat Eve or Friday evening. Leil pesach is: Passover Eve, (the first) Passover evening.

Emor me'attah, "Shabbos night" is Friday night. But you still won't find me using that term. And even many Israelis use the term to mean Saurday night. Of course, when the preponderance of people uses a term incorrectly, that becomes its new official meaning. So, who knows? maybe by now leil Shabbat is Saturday night.

And let's not get into "or leYom ______" which nobody but Talmud scholars really understands. Please, people, save your Mishnaic erudition for the study hall and write your wedding invitations in language people can understand. Most people think "or leyom rishon" means Sunday morning. It really means--counterintuitively--Saturday night. You can remember this by thinking "Or learbaah asar bodkin et hechametz." The night before the 14th of Nissan is when you do bedikat chametz. If I see one more wedding invite saying the event will be "or leyom shlishi" I'll burst.

Now all you Yiddishists: What does "Shabbas by nacht" mean?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics