Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Babies sharing a room - yea or nay?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:36 am
I'm very very early pregnancy with my second so this is a bit theoretical atm but I was just thinking about it....

B"H, if we moved baby 2 out at 3ms old, baby 1 would be 18ms (if 6ms, baby 2 would be 21 ms old).

Would the babies benefit if we moved Baby 2 into Baby 1's room? Or is it better for them each to have their own? I grew up sharing a bunk bed with my sister and I loved it. I don't think I would have been happy with my own room (even though I think my older sister might have lol).

I come from a larger family but based on circumstances, we'll probably have a smaller one. All our relatives with smaller families give their kids their own rooms, and DH expected we automatically would too. Isn't it lonely for babies? I could easily see my Baby 1 being super excited if there was suddenly another baby in the room.

I also remember putting my younger siblings to bed and they were all in the same room. With kids 15 months apart is it easier or harder if they're in the same room?

Obviously this is very hypothetical. If one baby sleeps beautifully and the other doesn't, maybe I'd keep them separate until their schedules aligned. But I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts. If you have the bedroom space, do you automatically give baby their own room or are there other considerations?

Teomima

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 2:53 am
My kids are roomed up in pairs, two are twins and two are not. The twins always shared, sometimes waking each other up, sometimes not. For my non-twins I found it easiest to keep them in separate rooms for the first year+, until the youngest one was mostly sleeping through the night. Then I moved them together and I love it, I think it's great having kids share rooms (it's also the only long term practical solution in our home due to limited size).

If your older child is a deep sleeper and the baby wouldn't bother them, then sure, go for the same room from the get go.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 3:39 am
As babies you’ll want to keep them apart so they don’t wake each other up

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 3:47 am
I find it too early to plan
Generally they wake wach other up and certainly don't care that they are alone in the room until much older.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:05 am
I think it’s beneficial for children to share rooms. As others have said, wait until the baby mostly sleeps through the night.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:14 am
Keep them apart until the baby mostly sleeps through the night, so as not to have him waking up the older one. Then let them share a room for the next few years. They will probably have the same bedtime for quite a while, and running between two different rooms will drive you crazy. When they are older, see what they want. They might like sharing a room or they might want to each have their own space. If they are opposite genders, of course you will have to separate them when they are older.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:11 am
I put them together, and they loved it from the beginning. At this point, They actually can't fall asleep without their siblings.

lfab

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:27 am
I've never had the luxury of being able to put baby on their own room. We've just never had the bedroom space to have kids in their own rooms (except for my oldest but as soon as baby #2 got moved out of our room they shared). With that being said I think you need to wait to see how they each sleep. If baby #1 is a light sleeper and baby #2 wakes #1 up it might be worth keeping them in separate rooms. But there's nothing wrong with having them share rooms if it works. I think it's better to start them sharing and you can always separate then when they are older if you still have the space than to keep them separate and then need to put them together when they are older if you end up needing the extra bedroom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics