Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What’s considered normal texting hours
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:24 am
I try to never text after 10 pm and never before 9 am. Someone responded to my 8 pm text at 7 am which I felt was a little too early. Curious what times people think are normal.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:25 am
Texting is for YOUR convenience. Set your phone so notifications are off during certain hours, or manually turn them off for certain hours, and ignore the texts as they come in until you are ready for them (this is my rule in general for a text). If something is time sensitive, they should call you.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:26 am
Any time. Thats the advantage of texting.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:28 am
I put my phone in the kitchen when I’m ready to go to sleep. If an incoming text dings, I don’t hear it from the bedroom.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:29 am
I should I add I don’t have a house phone so my phone is near my bed for emergencies.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I should I add I don’t have a house phone so my phone is near my bed for emergencies.

You can still turn on do not disturb so that you won't get text notifications. If someone needs to reach you by phone, calling 2x will generally bypass the do not disturb function

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Keep your phone on silent or off of you don’t want to hear texts coming in

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:34 am
6a-10p is pretty reasonable. tbh, anytime is reasonable to drop a line, but not try to blitz with messages awaiting a response. I sleep with my phone by my bed. I don't hear texts or messages come in at night once I fall asleep, but if you do you can mute those notifications during your quiet hours.

watergirl

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Again, mute text notifications until you’re ready for them be on. Anyone with an emergency will call, not text.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Currant

amother [ OP ] wrote:

My phone is by my bed too. I don't use notification tones in general, but when I do, I use sleep mode. Either manually or for a set time each night, it switches all notifications off. (You can also have it switch ringing off, and make exceptions for specific numbers or if a number calls you twice in a row.) If someone actually needs you and you don't answer a text, they can call.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:36 am
Texting is whenever. I’ll respond to a text in the middle of the night if I’m up. Your phone should have a “do not disturb” mode if you keep it by your bed.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:37 am
I keep my ring tone off during the night. Sometimes during the day too. I do try not to text people during the night though, unless it's a good friend who I know would be ok with it.
Otherwise from about 7AM until around 11:30 PM is fine. (For calling I'd say more like 8AM-10PM.)

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:38 am
That's the advantage of texting. You can send something when it is convenient for you, and the textee can pick it up whenever it is convenient for them. Its not like a phone call where the person has to answer on the spot.

AS others have said, you can switch off notifications, so the noise doesn't disturb you. (I once went out with a boy who couldn't understand why I didn't respond to his texts at once. Then when I explained that I switched off notifications, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to have my phone constantly pinging with all kinds of notifications.)

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:48 am
I will add that my phone is my business and I do find it odd when people text late (after 11/ 11:30 or so). I do turn my phone off overnight but I still think it's strange because if I didnt, I wouldn't want my phone to have an alert or wake me up. I also wonder sometimes what someone is doing on their phone at 3 am that they would text me to schedule an appointment.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I will add that my phone is my business and I do find it odd when people text late (after 11/ 11:30 or so). I do turn my phone off overnight but I still think it's strange because if I didnt, I wouldn't want my phone to have an alert or wake me up. I also wonder sometimes what someone is doing on their phone at 3 am

Nursing a baby?

Everyone has different schedules and sometimes they are busy and don't respond until late or early hours where they go through their messages

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:00 am
You can text anytime.

I answer others and often get responses at all hours of the day And night. Texting also doesn't demand immediate attention (that is the etiquette of texting). If you have notifications on that are disturbing you, turn on do not disturb.

For a mom of an infant it was highly convenient

Zehava

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:02 am
Anytime. My ringer is always off.

Java

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:07 am
You can always text. I usually put my phone on airplane mode at night so I don't get it till the morning anyway

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:33 am
I think it’s ok to reply at any time.

I wouldn’t initiate a conversation before 9 am or after 10 pm, like you said. Other than with close friends or family.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can still turn text notifications off, and phone ringer on.
It should be 2 separate settings.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette