Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Chronic pain and 9 Av

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:20 am
Yes, I'm going to ask my rav, but I'm wondering what other people have done in similar situations.

I have been in constant pain for months ever since I slipped in the snow and hurt myself. I've had x-rays and MRIs and it turns out that I have bursitis in my leg and a pinched nerve in my back leading to the same leg. I've had cortisone shots and I'm doing PT and I take ibuprofen every day both for the pain relief and the anti-inflammatory properties.

I still feel pain, but at least with the ibuprofen I can mostly manage. Since I take it daily I am very careful to always take it with food so I don't upset my stomach or cause ulcers. I don't know what to do about 9 Av. I'm perfectly capable of fasting, although I can't sit on the floor like I used to. I just don't know how I'm going to get through the day without the ibuprofen. For 17 Tammuz I woke up early to eat and take the meds before the fast began and I just skipped the next doses. By the end of the day I was in agony. The only way I could avoid that on 9 Av without breaking my fast is to stay in bed all day. But I have young kids at home and a husband who is not a great faster.

What should I do?

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:53 am
Ugh, chronic pain sucks and is so debilitating.
Wish I had advice re Tisha b'av.

If you have $$$ to spare and are intrigued by the notion of possibly reversing this problem via non-allopathic means, I'm here to tell you it's possible. Btdt. Been off painkillers for over 7 years. It's too bad Medicaid doesn't cover these wonderful therapies.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:56 am
I had one year I was told to have a couple of shiurim to enable me to take medicine.
Another thing to try is sometimes tylenol arthritis can help.
Ask your Rav

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:07 am
You can take a suppository, and that way it will bypass your stomach altogether.

I would still ask your rabbi about needing to eat a little bit, though. Because of the meds I'm on, I'm not allowed to fast at all (and it feels super weird.)

salt

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:22 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I had one year I was told to have a couple of shiurim to enable me to take medicine.
Another thing to try is sometimes tylenol arthritis can help.
Ask your Rav

I'm pretty sure shiurim is just for Yom Kippur - it makes your eating only an issur miderabanan instead of mide'orayta.
On 9 Av, fasting is miderabanan anyway.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:35 am
salt wrote:
I'm pretty sure shiurim is just for Yom Kippur - it makes your eating only an issur miderabanan instead of mide'orayta.
On 9 Av, fasting is miderabanan anyway.

So in general yes but in a case like this where I was able to fast properly besides for the few crackers to take meds I was told to do the crackers in shiurim and fast the rest of the day . On a year like this where my doctor has said no fasting at all I will be eating regularly

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:11 am
There are tylenol suppositories and while they aren't anti-inflammatory they work very very well.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:18 am
There are time release pills. I take caffeine time release before the fast. It releases 12 hours later. There’s Motrin and Tylenol time release. Take it next shabbos at shalosh seudos and it releases the next day on tisha baav

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:24 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
There are time release pills. I take caffeine time release before the fast. It releases 12 hours later. There’s Motrin and Tylenol time release. Take it next shabbos at shalosh seudos and it releases the next day on tisha baav

This
I take caffeine and Advil time release
Made it possible to fast
The only problem I’m having is that the caffeine pill kicks in early and at 4 am I’m wide awake, otherwise it’s a game changer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note