Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Trampling Torah in the 9 Days / #MyUnorthodoxLife spinoff
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:41 pm
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
Meghan Markle went on national TV to bash the royal family. It was watched by millions all over the world. What did the royal family do in response? They remained royal and classy and private.

Just because someone wants to go play in the mud in the public square, doesn't mean we should join them. There's no need to stoop to their level and no need to defend ourselves. Staying quiet and remaining who we are is sometimes louder than retaliation.

In last week's Hamodia, R' Professor Aaron Twerski said that he didn't think the Schumer Yisroel ads in the wake of Schumer's silence on attacks on Israel were helpful.
There's a lot going on behind the scenes we don't know.
We need to be measured.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 4:56 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I just don’t get the point of Frum jews saying that a show that depicts frum jews badly is “not okay.” Of course they’re not going to like it. That’s the point. Julia will just say that no fundamentalists like to have their fundamentalism exposed to the world.

Btw, this article has an interesting, nuanced perspective. https://www.google.com/amp/s/f.....fgamp

But that’s because it doesn’t come across as angry and defensive. Again, that kind of sentiment will not convince anyone.

yes, but why can't we blow open the blatant LIES on the show????
like her marriage was FORCED???? oh really know...
like batsheva's marriage was "forced"- um NOT
like she was living under a rock- um, her ex husband was CEO of secular company- that's not exactly living in a cave...
like her parents are Hasidic- no, they are not, I know them personally...
these are all LIES to smear the orthodox - probably to assuage the guilt she is feeling and to silence her soul that is screaming in pain- not they I know for sure- but I DO know that this is all LIES.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:00 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
yes, but why can't we blow open the blatant LIES on the show????
like her marriage was FORCED???? oh really know...
like batsheva's marriage was "forced"- um NOT
like she was living under a rock- um, her ex husband was CEO of secular company- that's not exactly living in a cave...
like her parents are Hasidic- no, they are not, I know them personally...
these are all LIES to smear the orthodox - probably to assuage the guilt she is feeling and to silence her soul that is screaming in pain- not they I know for sure- but I DO know that this is all LIES.

just wondering why my post was hugged? please explain- not getting it.

rikkik

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:19 pm
Shloime Zionce was trying to start a youtube blog "black white and human" Not sure why he hasn't been posting much on it.
I think most non-Jews will find the show boring (based on the reviews). The main ones who are interested in these things are not-yet-frum Jews, as it validates an inner guilt that they feel.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:21 pm
just wondering why my post was hugged? please explain- not getting it.

why did you hug this post as well? please explain.
or just be passive aggressive and hug this post as well!! go ahead.
btw, you can disagree with something I said, but to passively aggressively hug someone's post that you disagree with is just immature, sorry. just be brave and post what you disagree with- no one bites here- instead of anonymously hugging ppl.
I'm not the huggy type, so no thanks!! send your hugs elsewhere pls!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 5:22 pm
rikkik wrote:
Shloime Zionce was trying to start a youtube blog "black white and human" Not sure why he hasn't been posting much on it.
I think most non-Jews will find the show boring (based on the reviews). The main ones who are interested in these things are not-yet-frum Jews, as it validates an inner guilt that they feel.

I totally agree with you abt the inner guilt.
I actually sat next to Julia/Talia in her previous life at a long Shabbos meal- so, so sad that this is where things have ended up....
we need to daven for her and her children.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 6:04 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
People are interested.
The Israeli series had great ratings, and Peter Santellos videos were enjoyed by many non Jews.

People enjoy learning about other cultures.

The Israeli series is authentic.
Peter Santellos videos is pure PR. - he exchanges a "nice view" of the hasidic world in exchange for access. Trust me , he knows about the dirt under the rug but would never air it. bec. it is not in his best interest career wise. So, is that what you want. Propaganda? I dont care much for these stories, but its her story, and her right to share it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 6:16 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
Peter Santellos videos is pure PR. - he exchanges a "nice view" of the hasidic world in exchange for access. Trust me , he knows about the dirt under the rug but would never air it. bec. it is not in his best interest career wise. So, is that what you want. Propaganda? I dont care much for these stories, but its her story, and her right to share it.

her right to lie and twist things about our community?

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 6:26 pm
her right to lie and twist things about our community?

She’s sharing her truth, yours might be different.

TriAspora

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
She’s sharing her truth, yours might be different.

Julia is entitled to her own truth, choices and opinions, but not to her own facts. It looks like the show tells many lies about the community she left. I find it disturbing.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:46 pm
Quote:
Curious. Is there pushback in places like Jew in the City?
Just what I was going to say. Anyone emailed her?

I am still puzzling over what's attractive about baring all the stuff. Honestly.

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 12:24 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
People are interested.
The Israeli series had great ratings, and Peter Santellos videos were enjoyed by many non Jews.

People enjoy learning about other cultures.

Please call me when Real Housewives of Teaneck and Real Housewives of Lakewood gets picked up.

rikkik

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:01 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:

No, I completely disagree. Peter showed a side that NEVER gets shown. The other side, the dirt- that has been shown enough by the media, and OTD people.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:03 am
rikkik wrote:
No, I completely disagree. Peter showed a side that NEVER gets shown. The other side, the dirt- that has been shown enough by the media, and OTD people.

enjoy your propaganda.
he's not a journalist.
I'm not saying that he's not showing a side that never gets shown, but its a "all roses" view, which is fine. Its good for his you tube pr series, but not a movie,

Shtisel is realistic
even 93Queen is positive and more realistic

PS is fake .. come sit at my shabbos table so we can tell you how amazing we are BS. We are not very inviting to outsiders. so all of a sudden PS is invited at jewish tables. bec. we're so inviting to outsiders. even other jews. ... (you can argue on the merits of that and all..)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 8:17 am
why did you hug this post as well? please explain.
or just be passive aggressive and hug this post as well!! go ahead.
btw, you can disagree with something I said, but to passively aggressively hug someone's post that you disagree with is just immature, sorry. just be brave and post what you disagree with- no one bites here- instead of anonymously hugging ppl.
I'm not the huggy type, so no thanks!! send your hugs elsewhere pls!!

I hate hugs too, but IME the anonymous hug choir finds it hilarious to hug posts that point out the immaturity of hugging.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:06 am
Honestly, I think what saddens me the most about all this, is that- at least the Mother and her oldest daughter - left a life of Torah, which is solid gold, and claim that a tawdry life of cheap instagram "looks" makes them happier. I call BS on that.

They were given a priceless gift - to live as Orthodox Jews, and they traded it for garbage.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Honestly, I think what saddens me the most about all this, is that- at least the Mother and her oldest daughter - left a life of Torah, which is solid gold, and claim that a tawdry life of cheap instagram "looks" makes them happier. I call BS on that.

They were given a priceless gift - to live as Orthodox Jews, and they traded it for garbage.

So, starting from the premise that a life of Torah is "solid gold", is emes, is truth, is all good things in abundance....

It may be more useful to understand how someone or some people do come to reject it to try to find more happiness and fulfillment elsewhere. It must be something very big, very major, maybe even very traumatic, that could lead someone to discard "solid gold".

I'm not defending anything against the Torah, but usually there is something or are many things that have led to this, and many times if we take the time to understand what happened, we may see exactly how it happened and not judge others so harshly. We might actually help our communities and ourselves after we set aside our opinions and assumptions and understand others.

I don't know these people personally, but I do know that when I've taken time to understand how others have gone "OTD", it's not so bizarre or hateful or unreasonable. What I've seen are often painful stories and extremely difficult or impossible situations. And none of us are immune from those trials from Hashem in galus.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:02 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
So, starting from the premise that a life of Torah is "solid gold", is emes, is truth, is all good things in abundance....

It may be more useful to understand how someone or some people do come to reject it to try to find more happiness and fulfillment elsewhere. It must be something very big, very major, maybe even very traumatic, that could lead someone to discard "solid gold".

I'm not defending anything against the Torah, but usually there is something or are many things that have led to this, and many times if we take the time to understand what happened, we may see exactly how it happened and not judge others so harshly. We might actually help our communities and ourselves after we set aside our opinions and assumptions and understand others.

I don't know these people personally, but I do know that when I've taken time to understand how others have gone "OTD", it's not so bizarre or hateful or unreasonable. What I've seen are often painful stories and extremely difficult or impossible situations. And none of us are immune from those trials from Hashem in galus.

This

And those of you who can’t understand it- consider yourself lucky

TriAspora

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:51 am
We are dealing with several issues here.

#1 Julia (and part of her family) going OTD. I would not judge them. People have challenges that not all of us understand: immigration, integration of BTs and their children into the community, family dynamics, mental and s-xual issues. We never know what is happening in other people's lives. Fire and brimstone rhetoric is not suitable here IMHO.

#2 The show itself: The Haarts have the right to speak their truth. Just as our virtual community, Imamother, can be both warm and supportive, but at the same time judgy and aggressive, so are Jewish communities in real life. Their family may have had their triggers. As much as we, frum Jews, are sad about this case of bad PR, I don't think we can do much about it.

#3 Apparent lies about their former community specifically added to cause more hype. This is where I hope we can do something. It would be great if we can publish several nuanced well-written letters to the editor and blog posts addressing this issue (and maybe the absurdity of presenting the fashion industry as somehow liberating for women).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
Meghan Markle went on national TV to bash the royal family. It was watched by millions all over the world. What did the royal family do in response? They remained royal and classy and private.

Or maybe the royal family stayed quiet because they had what to hide.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics