Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Why should I not register my children as Israeli citizens?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
If you are eligible to live here (eg. on a student visa) than you can join bituach leumi. You don't need to be an actual citizen.
Fascinating, so they get the same benefits of insurance that citizens do? Why would Israel do that? (pay for non citizens to get subsidized insurance)

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:09 pm
Hey,I registered my kids as citizens, so I guess I'm biased in that direction. Smile I agree with you, OP. I don't see a benefit to avoiding it either.

Enjoy visiting your family!

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:17 pm
mommy9 wrote:
I think citizens also have to pay a tax when they leave the country.

No they don't.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Fascinating, so they get the same benefits of insurance that citizens do? Why would Israel do that? (pay for non citizens to get subsidized insurance)

I don't know, but I was just at the hospital here and saw two Fiipino workers hospitalised for major surgery. Usually these workers work here as live-in aides for the elderly. I'm sure they have insurance.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:13 pm
If I come in and use my brother as first degree relative but my father is Israeli what issues will I have and will my kids have any issues in the future?

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
I don't know, but I was just at the hospital here and saw two Fiipino workers hospitalised for major surgery. Usually these workers work here as live-in aides for the elderly. I'm sure they have insurance.

When you hire a foreign worker, you have to pay for his/her (subsidized) insurance at one of the kupot cholim.

kalsee

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Because presumably someone living here, even if it's temporary, is working and paying taxes and therefore eligible for national health insurance.

You have to be here for 6 months before you are eligible (but you can be reimbursed afterwards)

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 10:49 pm
hello3 wrote:
Same here, I’m Israeli, my husband isn’t. My oldest son is, the rest of the kids are not.

I don’t want to make them citizens because of all of the above. I might make them Israelies in the future but it’s an extremely long process. You have to provide documentation that they are YOUR פרי בטן. They force you to bring either a sono from your third trimester or the hospital release papers. This is In ADDITION to the birth certificate and an apostle. Also the process can take up to a year which you can’t travel. I sure hope they cancel this law. It’s so frustrating.
FYI this law was established in 1952 to raise the population but was never enforced up until COVID when they were allowing only citizens into the country and they weren’t sure under which category these kids fall into.

I just did this recently and it definitely did not take a year.
yes getting all the necessary paperwork prepared took me about 7 weeks or so on my end (due to NY hospitals and county offices being sluggish) but once we went to the consulate appointment we had our passports and ids for them just 19 days later. We brought all the children to that one same appointment.
for older teens though they might want fingerprints with criminal background check? still not longer from israel process but the FBI has been taking a good 3 months to apostille those. I don't know if this is needed or not my kids are younger.

grace413

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
citizenship only passes to children born abroad if the parent was born in Israel.

I am a citizen because my father was born in Israel and an Israeli.

My children are not citizens even though I am because I was born in NY.

I currently have the same dilemma as the OP. I am thinking of getting citizenship for all of them so we can go visit. They cant get in at the moment because none of the kids are vaccinated.

Unless the laws have changed this is not true. I was born in the States, made aliyah and my children born in the States were automatically Israeli citizens.

grace413

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 11:01 pm
mommy9 wrote:
I think citizens also have to pay a tax when they leave the country.

This was true once upon a time but this tax was cancelled many years ago.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 12:00 am
If they are born in Israel, you must have renounced their citizenship in order for them not to be considered Israeli. (It's a very simple process, I think you can do it when registering the birth. Many people do it.)

That's not entirely true.
A child born to non-israeli parents in Israel does not automatically become Israeli. You have to apply for citizenship (it's super easy).
This did not use to be this way and you would have had to renounce citzenship but they changed the laws and now children born in Israel to non-israeli parents are not Israeli

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
My father who’s birth place is listed as Jerusalem has been afraid to travel to Israel for years because they might make him problems. I think it becomes kind of a hassle with draft notices and stuff once they’re registered.
If your father is over a certain age (I forgot the exact age), they will not make him go to the army. Just pointing this out.
Why not have him find out what the law would actually be. So chaval for him not to be able to come to israel because he is scared.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 1:52 am
I just want to point out, getting an exemption is fairly easy, and there is no problems afterwards for girls. For boys it is slightly more complicated especially if they want to go to yeshiva in Israel or live there as an older teen or adult of army age. They can only be in Israel for up to a few months, and then have to leave. I am not sure of all the details but I know my brother and other boys/men who had this issue. My brother had to leave after 6 months even though he'd ideally have wanted to stay. I was able to live there but I had many problems with getting bituach leumi at the beginning since I was officially israeli on the system but I couldn't prove residency since I'd never lived there. I seem to remember they were also insisting on back payment for all the years I hadn't been paying into insurance. We did manage to sort it all out but it was alot of hassle.
I'm really not sure of all the details it was a number of years ago, but this was my experience and of others I know personally
Obviously if your boys intend to go to the army then all this is moot.
Some of my children are Israeli because that was the only way they could have medical insurance when we lived there, even though they weren't born in israel. My other children are not Israeli as of now, but I'm not sure what will happen as they get to army age.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 3:07 am
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
citizenship only passes to children born abroad if the parent was born in Israel.

I am a citizen because my father was born in Israel and an Israeli.

My children are not citizens even though I am because I was born in NY.

I currently have the same dilemma as the OP. I am thinking of getting citizenship for all of them so we can go visit. They cant get in at the moment because none of the kids are vaccinated.

True but if your kids are born in Israel they’re Israeli, in your case.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 3:09 am
shev wrote:
My children were born in Israel, and it says in theyre pssprts that they were born in Jerusalem but that doesnt make them automatically Israeli. Because, my husband and I are not Israeli my children arent either.

Right but in the past the law was that whoever was born in Israel is Israeli. That law changed.
Now whoever is born in Israel is Israeli only if one of their parents is Israeli.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 3:26 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Now whoever is born in Israel is Israeli only if one of their parents is Israeli.

Adding for clarification "and if they have no other citizenship."

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 3:41 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
Adding for clarification "and if they have no other citizenship."

AFAIK they’re israeli even if they have another citizenship, as long as they’re born in Israel and have an Israeli parent.

Even when born abroad they’re israeli if they have an Israeli parent, but then it’s only if their Israeli parent was BORN in Israel, not just israeli because of their own parent/s.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So aside for army service which can get an exemption for, no one has said any valid reason not to register them. think ill go ahead with it

It's not always so simple to get an exemption for an Israeli who was living and learning abroad.
You need to prove that they were in Yeshiva between certain ages (not sure exactly which ages) and they don't always recognize all yeshivas abroad.
Someone in my husband's kollel had a problem with this and was told that if he doesn't leave Israel within the next day, he will be drafted. He had to quickly pack up and leave with his wife, even though their entire life was now based here. I know others who've had issues as well.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:45 am
It's not always so simple to get an exemption for an Israeli who was living and learning abroad.
You need to prove that they were in Yeshiva between certain ages (not sure exactly which ages) and they don't always recognize all yeshivas abroad.
Someone in my husband's kollel had a problem with this and was told that if he doesn't leave Israel within the next day, he will be drafted. He had to quickly pack up and leave with his wife, even though their entire life was now based here. I know others who've had issues as well.

My friend had to fly out alone for a planned birth abroad. It was her first birth and she wanted to go home for that but her dh was israeli and something went wrong with the form he filled out requesting leave, (even though he was studying at the time and not serving in the army) and he couldn’t leave the country. He did make it to the birth in the end but they didn’t know if he will.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 5:50 am
Laws have changed and will continue to change.
With citizenship comes responsibilities and privileges.
As computerization becomes more centralized and tightened then loopholes becomes less possible.
Do your due diligence.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions