Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm getting a deduction
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 9:55 pm
I'm a great employee. My boss recruited me because he heard about my work in a different company and he is BH extremely happy with my work. the clients I deal with are very happy with me as well. Over time I BH got raises and keep getting complimented on my work.

My boss just hired someone to do "managerial" work and be on top of me and my coworkers. In my position, working under a "manager" will slow my rate of progress with my clients (although it will speed up the process with my coworkers- hard to explain why w/o giving away too many details). the big problem for me is that she will get a large chunk of my paycheck, since the way it works in this field is that the manager gets a percentage of everyone's pay, which means that my pay will be reduced.

I feel very offended about the upcoming changes and am really upset. All I did today was cry. Crying

Vent over. I need advice.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:04 pm
This doesn't seem like a legitimate wage plan. Sales managers get bonuses based on sales for those under them but I have never heard of having an employee forfeit wages to a "manager"

Personally I would take the opportunity to update my resume and start networking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
This doesn't seem like a legitimate wage plan. Sales managers get bonuses based on sales for those under them but I have never heard of having an employee forfeit wages to a "manager"

Personally I would take the opportunity to update my resume and start networking.

It's not sales. I didn't write which field I'm in b/c I didn't want to give away too many details. This is the way it works in my field, the one on top gets a piece of the pie. The difference is that I didn't have someone on top of me till now, so I got the full amount. Now, the business is growing and I got new coworkers, thus, he hired someone to be on top of us and she is getting a chunk of everyone's paycheck

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:10 pm
Amarante wrote:

As far as networking, there are a lot of companies that are ready to grab me BH, however, there are many perks to working with this particular company and I don't want to leave. I am extremely disappointed about this wage cut though and Idk what to do about it.

librarylady

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:12 pm
Can't you sit down and have a discussion with the boss and explain how you feel? Say something like you love working here for so many reasons and you feel that you are a valuable member of the team and it came as a surprise to you that you are getting less of a salary now despite all your hard work and skills.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As far as networking, there are a lot of companies that are ready to grab me BH, however, there are many perks to working with this particular company and I don't want to leave. I am extremely disappointed about this wage cut though and Idk what to do about it.

Get an offer and use it as leverage to ask for a significant raise.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:17 pm
librarylady wrote:
Can't you sit down and have a discussion with the boss and explain how you feel? Say something like you love working here for so many reasons and you feel that you are a valuable member of the team and it came as a surprise to you that you are getting less of a salary now despite all your hard work and skills.

This. Honest discussion with boss. It sounds like there are lots of opportunities out there for you. One option is to look for other opportunities and then meet with boss once you have another offer. Explain what prefer to stay with this company, but it came as a big blow to you that you are getting a paid deduction despite all your hard work and good results. The other option is to meet with boss now, say what the above poster said. If you are not getting a good response from the boss, you can kind of feel it out but consider letting them know that you are hoping he will reconsider but if not, you are going to start looking for other opportunities.

And yes, I understand you say this is how it works in your field. However, it is actually not normal to get a pay cut if you are doing good work and producing results for the company. Unless the company is going through a hard time and they need to make cuts to avoid firing people or something like that.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:17 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Get an offer and use it as leverage to ask for a significant raise.

Totally agree.

I don't know what industry has a pay structure which reduces salary when a manager is hired but it seems exploitative to have this kind of structure especially when it actually reduces the salary of someone doing an exemplary job - it seems to kill any kind of incentive to be rewarded with a pay cut.

Imax5

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:30 pm
Sounds like a classic MLM excerpt that usually the “manager” is the person who brought you in and here he’s pushing you under someone else. I agree with the above posters that you need to talk to the boss about the numbers. He can give her an amount based on your sales without actually taking it from you.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:33 pm
Imax5 wrote:
Sounds like a classic MLM excerpt that usually the “manager” is the person who brought you in and here he’s pushing you under someone else. I agree with the above posters that you need to talk to the boss about the numbers. He can give her an amount based on your sales without actually taking it from you.

MLM came to my mind as well except that the cut for those above you is transparent and so someone doesn't have a manager brought in over who takes a cut of that person's pay.

However it is, the pay structure is exploitative as the company should be paying for the "services" of a manager if they think a group needs a manager and not have the lower level employees essentially be paying the salary of a manager hired by a company,

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
MLM came to my mind as well except that the cut for those above you is transparent and so someone doesn't have a manager brought in over who takes a cut of that person's pay.

However it is, the pay structure is exploitative as the company should be paying for the "services" of a manager if they think a group needs a manager and not have the lower level employees essentially be paying the salary of a manager hired by a company,

Exactly! so I am the only one getting the pay-cut, as the other employees are new to the company and have never worked on their own without a "manager".

edit: I didn't realize what mlm stands for. no. ttly not mlm type of business

Imax5

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:39 pm
Amarante wrote:

Well, she described it as transparent. I still vote mlm and those tend to be shady at the best of times.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly! so I am the only one getting the pay-cut, as the other employees are new to the company and have never worked on their own without a "manager".

Well as other have posted, the ball is in your court.

Your employer will be happy to continue to exploit you if you do nothing.

You can have a discussion with your employer in which you discuss your dissatisfaction with effectively getting a pay raise.

I have honestly never heard of a legitimate company that takes a cut from its employees in order to pay for a manager. I wouldn't want to be in either position - either being exploited or being someone exploiting lower paid workers under me.

A legitimate company pays salaries to its employees and doesn't expect employees to pay for their managers.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:42 pm
Imax5 wrote:
Well, she described it as transparent. I still vote mlm and those tend to be shady at the best of times.

What I meant by transparent is that with a classic MLM someone knows that the person who recruited them is earning a commission based on sales of those brought in under them. That is the nature of the pyramid scheme since you don't make money by actually selling the product by only from collecting money from those under you.

So they don't suddenly bring in an upper tier person and ask you to pay for that person.

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:48 pm
Mlm was my first thought too. Even if it’s not an mlm go find yourself a different job, that sounds horrible. I know, easier said than done.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:52 pm
Stars wrote:
Mlm was my first thought too. Even if it’s not an mlm go find yourself a different job, that sounds horrible. I know, easier said than done.

not mlm.
in any company in this field, the manager gets a percentage of everyone's pay. since I was the only one working in this site, I got the full amount.
if I choose to leave, I won't get the amount I earned till now, since there will definitely be a manager already.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:56 pm
So you are saying that if you got another job, you would likely take a pay cut anyway. Is that correct? Are you sure, or are you underestimating your worth?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 10:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
not mlm.
in any company in this field, the manager gets a percentage of everyone's pay. since I was the only one working in this site, I got the full amount.
if I choose to leave, I won't get the amount I earned till now, since there will definitely be a manager already.

Can you look for a job as a manager in the field as you already seem to have experience?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Can you look for a job as a manager in the field as you already seem to have experience?

I do have experience and wish I can get a job as a manager, however, it's a very difficult job to get. Another painful part of the story is that I thought I would get promoted to become manager in this company, however, the new manager offered something that I can't, so I do understand my boss, but it hurts Crying

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 12 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
So you are saying that if you got another job , you would likely take a pay cut anyway. Is that correct? Are you sure, or are you underestimating your worth?

any other company is already set up with managers, therefore, I would already be "giving up on a piece of the pie".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics