Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Order from ali express in 9 days

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:29 am
Can I order cheap jewlery in 9 days from ali if will take forever to get?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 6:36 am
I placed an order for clothes yesterday. There is no simcha about seeing a large chunk of money disappear from my bank account.

The simcha that comes with actually getting the new clothes will be at least a week away. (In the past it has happened that an order arrived during the three weeks. I put it aside and only open it after Tisha b'Av.)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I order cheap jewlery in 9 days from ali if will take forever to get?

While I can't posken, my limited understanding is that if you need something by a certain date after Tisha b'Av and postponing this purchase for another 6 days will prevent you from having it, there is room for leniency.
I personally don't buy that stuff during the nine days but I noticed that the clothes and accessory shops in Woodbourne were open yesterday so maybe people who are shopping now are relying on certain leniencies such as buying while the price is low or their family member is getting engaged next week and they need the item for that.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:26 am
I buy jewerly on ali for like $2. My guess that isnt considered a shehehiyahu purchase. But maybe something more expensive would be. I am curious

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:48 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I buy jewerly on ali for like $2. My guess that isnt considered a shehehiyahu purchase. But maybe something more expensive would be. I am curious

My understanding is that we don't even buy new underwear this week but there is a wide variety of minhagim and my Rabbi might say that the purchase should wait until next week while hers might say that there is a difference between purchasing and wearing.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:50 am
From what I've heard/read, it's not just about getting the stuff, but also, we are supposed to be focusing on the churban now, not on shopping. So I wouldn't order something that can wait a little longer.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 8:52 am
Good point

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
From what I've heard/read, it's not just about getting the stuff, but also, we are supposed to be focusing on the churban now, not on shopping. So I wouldn't order something that can wait a little longer.

I went for a walk during lunch and cut through H and M. I did look at the clothes, thinking nothing was wrong with that, but I see maybe somethingWAS wrong with that.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:40 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I went for a walk during lunch and cut through H and M. I did look at the clothes, thinking nothing was wrong with that, but I see maybe somethingWAS wrong with that.

I don't think that looking is a problem and if OP was buying it for business purposes, such as to resell it or to later give it as gifts to students or workers, it might also be allowed. I think that the issue is making ourselves happy by acquiring something new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note