Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Nussach Ashkenaz/Sfard

Revafe

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:14 pm
I've always been curious why the ashkenazim daven nussach sefard and sefardim (or different ashkenazim) daven nussach ashkenaz.

Anyone ever researched this or know anything about it??

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:51 pm
nusach sefard is an ashkenazic nusach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusach_Sefard

amf

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 5:56 pm
Sefardim don't daven nusach Ashkenaz, its nusach eidut hamizrach

b.chadash

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 7:41 pm
Revafe wrote:
I've always been curious why the ashkenazim daven nussach sefard and sefardim (or different ashkenazim) daven nussach ashkenaz.

Anyone ever researched this or know anything about it??

There was nusach Ashkenaz and nusach Sefaradi- which is eidut hamizrach.

Afaik, the chassidim, who are more into kabbala, took on to use a variation of the nusach sefardi which the Arizal used, since there are more kabbalistic inflections in the nusach. That version is nusach Sefard. It's used by chassidim who are Ashkenaz. I am not sure where nusach Ari (used by chabad) would fit in over here.

If I recall correctly, Nusach Ashkenaz is the original nusach, as codified by Anshei Kneses Hagedola. Nusach Sefard is a hybrid of the two other nuschaos (Ashkenaz and Sefaradi .) I remember hearing a teshuva from Rav Moshe that a woman who davens nusach Ashkenaz and marries a man who davens Sefard does not need to change to Sefard (though generally a woman needs to take on her husband's minhagim), but if it were the reverse, she would change to Ashkenaz. The reason given was that Nusach Ashkenaz is the "real" or original nusach for Ashkenazim.

I recently heard a shiur on this by Rabbi Glatstien, which I can try to find if you are interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics