Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it poor form for rabbi's mishpacha to be buying up 'hood?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:18 pm
we're in a smallish OOT community. our rabbi here is a real mensch. but certain of his mishpacha who are rabbis of nearby communities have been trying to buy up the neighborhood and it's off-putting.

the community has been slowly but steadily growing. the jews in the neighborhood saw the potential for growth -- and potential for rising housing prices -- way, way before the the non-jews in the neighborhood here saw it.

the rabbi's mishpacha have bought a couple dozen houses in the neighborhood and are building a little real estate empire. they were able to approach non-jews over the last few years and get them to sell off-market.

they're now renting these houses, and mostly renting to non-jews. we own and are happy, so we're okay. but there are jews who are renting here who want to buy and there's absolutely nothing for sale in the neighborhood. and there are surely more jews who would move here from other places if there were houses available to buy.

it's a free market, but I find the whole thing off-putting and not really derech eretz. this is: 1) stagnating the growth of the community because it's limiting the ability of new jews to come here; and 2) profiteering at the expense of jews in our community and driving up prices for them to buy and pricing them out of the neighborhood. the worst part, to me, really is renting to non-jews -- when they'd tell you they're buying these houses from non-jews so jews can own more land and take over the community.

if they want to play the real estate game, I feel like they should go speculate on real estate in some other neighborhood rather than harm our community.

what does everyone think?

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 9:57 pm
Either go into real estate or the rabbanus, not both. This doesn't sound like it's going to end well for the community.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:09 pm
I think there are other communities that have made rules against that sort of thing.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:17 pm
There is Halacha and then there’s hashkafa. This is a hashkafic issued. And for people who see black and white, they won’t budge. Cuz if it’s not a halachic issue to them that is a green light.
The oddest part of this story is that it’s the rabbis family. I wonder what the rabbi thinks of it. Usually this happens with random outside investors who see an opportunity...

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:27 pm
Where is the rabbi getting all this money from

Bleemee

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:48 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I think there are other communities that have made rules against that sort of thing.
How can communities enforce something like that?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 13 2021, 10:53 pm
This is very odd because it is in the rabbi's best interest to expand his shul by bringing more people to the neighorhood, not stagnating due to lack of growth. How weird.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:28 am
Sounds like the community is headed for trouble. But why are you asking? What we write here on ima is not going to change things. To me this sounds like gossip for the sake of gossip. Yes it is poor form, no there is nothing you can do about it, yes they are in the wrong, no this will not end well.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:59 am
Your OP is presented a little presumptuously, as if you are completely sure of all the details. It is unlikely that you have all of the information necessary to pass judgment on these people.
The best thing you can do for your community is to foster peace and help make it a non- judgemental place.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:25 am
I hear what you're saying and why it would be off-putting.

Based on your post, he saw the potential for real estate and bought early - meaning prices are going up because people are buying more. Who else is buying? Are prices only going up because of his real estate?

It sounds like he bought knowing that as frum people buy, prices increase. Are more frum people not buying?

If not, why are prices going up?

So I don't really understand...

As a last point, there are so many conversations, like in last week's Mishpacha magazine, about people not going into klei kodesh because it doesn't pay enough. I know people who have gotten around this by buying into real estate, which allows them to make money on the side while doing Hashem's work. So while I see the off-putting aspect, I think, without further detail, that it's a win-win.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:43 am
It's great for rabbis to have a form of independent income, but someone who has a financial interest in his own community is not a neutral party and, at least in my experience, can let his self-interest get in the way of the bigger picture.

If he and his family want to invest in real estate, that's great, but the investments need to be separate from his community and rabbinic duties. And I would not be confident in the judgement of a rabbi who couldn't figure this out on his own.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:45 am
Why can’t a rabbi make a living?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:48 am
SuperWify wrote:
Why can’t a rabbi make a living?

He can, but not in such a way that he creates a conflict of interest. There are plenty of places to buy real estate. Don't do it in your own community.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:31 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
He can, but not in such a way that he creates a conflict of interest. There are plenty of places to buy real estate. Don't do it in your own community.

The person buying the real estate is not the rabbi of this community. It is the rabbi of a nearby community who happens to be related to the rabbi. I'm not sure what OP would like. Is your rabbi supposed to tell his relative that they can't purchase real estate? Or you just want to know that they are wrong?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Is your rabbi supposed to tell his relative that they can't purchase real estate? Or you just want to know that they are wrong?

that's also a question -- whether our rabbi should tell the mishpacha that they're acting inappropriately. if it's wrong what they're doing and the rabbi knows its wrong, isn't it leadership to step in and at least tell them they're wrong?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
that's also a question -- whether our rabbi should tell the mishpacha that they're acting inappropriately. if it's wrong what they're doing and the rabbi knows its wrong, isn't it leadership to step in and at least tell them they're wrong?

Whos to say he hasn't?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:02 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Whos to say he hasn't?

I have no knowledge one way or the other, other than to know that the rabbi hasn’t used so much pressure — because the other is warmly welcomed at his events and shul

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ok I misunderstood. It’s not even the rabbi. It’s his family. How do you know he hasn’t spoke to them? Since when is our family’s actions a responsibility of ours?

Id hate to be judged by my sisters deeds, honestly.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:14 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Sounds like the community is headed for trouble. But why are you asking? What we write here on ima is not going to change things. To me this sounds like gossip for the sake of gossip. Yes it is poor form, no there is nothing you can do about it, yes they are in the wrong, no this will not end well.

I want to know if my instinct is right that it’s poor form, or if I’m wrong and it’s perfectly on the up and up. Sometimes you need a reality check

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:15 am
SuperWify wrote:
Ok I misunderstood. It’s not even the rabbi. It’s his family. How do you know he hasn’t spoke to them? Since when is our family’s actions a responsibility of ours?

Id hate to be judged by my sisters deeds, honestly.

I should also say that the family member is officially the president of the shul.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette