Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it poor form for rabbi's mishpacha to be buying up 'hood?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:32 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
interesting. so, in my neighborhood, yehudim are moving out and selling to non yehudim bec they are offering more money than yehudim. This also stops my community from growing.

Do you think this is wrong too?

Why does me and my neighbors desire to grow my community affect how a yehudi will make money by selling it to a nonyehudi?

So too, you want the community to grow, but you are saying this relative is buying homes for nonyehudim to rent, since when is growing your community something that a yehudi has to look out for to prevent his parnassa?

As the previous poster succinctly pointed out, your logic fails because you fail to distinguish between the moral responsibilities to the community of a rank-and-file congregant versus the rav of the community. The rabbi isn't just any random Jew in the community. He has a heightened responsibility to the community to ensure that his parnasa doesn't sabotage the interests of the shul/community.

Growing his community is something the rav of the shul DOES have to look out for, especially if he's publicly running around telling everyone he's trying to grow the community. And especially if he's raising donations for things related to growing the community.

How do you not see the difference between the rav of the shul and rank-and-file Jews? You surely must. You're just fighting to fight.

your logic and analogy also fails because our neighborhood isn't a case where non-Jews are offering to pay more money than Jews. A Jew would surely have paid the same -- or even more -- for one of the houses that the mishpacha secretly bought and rented to a non-Jew. Nobody's saying the mishpacha should *lose* money and sell his house for 10% less in order to sell it to a Jew. The question is whether the mishpacha should just go somewhere else and play the real estate game -- why can't he go play the real estate game in any other of the millions of square miles of real estate in the country, rather than in our one square mile community?

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:02 am
I wanted to bring up this thread due to a story I heard that may help be dlkz. As soon as the person told it to me I thought of this thread.

Someone told me they are moving to a community. But homes are hard to find.
When they asked the rav what will be he assured them that he has house a plan and houses set aside for ppl to buy near the shul
The person has no clue what he is talking about but trusting

When they told me the story I thought maybe it’s the rav in this story!

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ Ebony ] wrote:
I wanted to bring up this thread due to a story I heard that may help be dlkz. As soon as the person told it to me I thought of this thread.

Someone told me they are moving to a community. But homes are hard to find.
When they asked the rav what will be he assured them that he has house a plan and houses set aside for ppl to buy near the shul
The person has no clue what he is talking about but trusting

When they told me the story I thought maybe it’s the rav in this story!

Even if true, that's a very bad idea. The rabbi now has a financial interest in keeping housing prices inflated.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 8:23 am
I didn't read all the comments. I'm not sure where you live, however I know of a community that is starting out and to the outside eye looks like what you're describing. However, in reality what they were doing is buying off as many houses as they could, then selling them to frum families who want to live in the area for very minimal profit. This way the community grows and there are houses out there for the people who want to live there. Also they scatter the houses around so that no one block becomes "the"block.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 10:04 am
OP it sounds like you’re describing new square

Yes it’s wrong what the rabbi and his cronies are doing. It’s well known and it’s a control tactic.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
Even if true, that's a very bad idea. The rabbi now has a financial interest in keeping housing prices inflated.

Only if he is looking to make money.

If he is doing it to build community it could help keep the prices level and have houses ready to entice ppl to move there.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Ebony ] wrote:
Only if he is looking to make money.

If he is doing it to build community it could help keep the prices level and have houses ready to entice ppl to move there.

Why would it "keep the prices level" if there's a middleman? If there's a middleman, the price goes up. And if they only sell to who they want to sell to, that influences the community too.

kmyy

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:13 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
The person buying the real estate is not the rabbi of this community. It is the rabbi of a nearby community who happens to be related to the rabbi. I'm not sure what OP would like. Is your rabbi supposed to tell his relative that they can't purchase real estate? Or you just want to know that they are wrong?

Exactly. I have the same question. For all you know, the "relative" has great faith in his relative's (your rabbi's) attraction power as a rabbi and is therefore speculating. It is against the interest of your rabbi for his relative to do this, so I'm not sure why your post is coming off as criticism of your rabbi. We don't live in a generation where people automatically follow what a Rabbi says, so why would you think he has any input in what his relative does? For all you know, he is losing sleep over this.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette