Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
'My Orthodox Life'
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 9:55 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Yes. Some people feel like that. Are you surprised?

It is nice that this way of life fits perfectly with your personality, but it shouldn’t be surprising that it doesn’t work for others.

The only problem is that there isn’t enough positive coverage about people with positive experiences.

We don’t have anyone to blame for that but ourselves.

Maybe it wasn’t necessary to air who we are 20-30 years ago.
Times have changed and it’s time to change that.

Shtissel was pretty popular.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 9:57 am
sequoia wrote:
You won’t sell the elephant like that.

I’m MO and it sounds terrible to me, imagine how it sounds to a secular person.

This! And I'm Chassidish.
I'm not silent and never will be.
My husband is my best friend.
He runs the household just as much as I do.
I like a lot of the other things you wrote, but this part turned me off. Totally didn't resonate with me. I totally do not enjoy talking about cooking and cleaning and "woman stuff". I love intellectual, stimulating discussions and my husband is the best partner to discuss this with, for me.
I love my home, husband and kids more than anything in the world, but I also love my freedom, my independence, to let my voice be heard, to make my mark in the world with my talents and interests, very much outside of the home.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:10 am
Bechirah chofshis includes being able to choose the community you want to live with and the lifestyle you want to live.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I believe that no matter how you live your life religiously if your happy with it there is no reason to change. The same for our children they only go off the Derech when they are unhappy with their life or environment.

Make our homes a place to be happy and a safe environment so that we and our children have no need to leave.

Thats so true.

Please correct me if Im wrong, but I believe this thread started in response to a Netflix series that will air today, that examines the good aspects of, more than the bad aspects of, the life of someone who has no use for Torah or Judaism in her life and it seems to me, she mocks and tramples and bashes Torah and Judaism (by intermarriage).

This is very far from Modern Orthodox.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:52 pm
Ive read that Julia is proud of being a Jew.

"“The only thing I could do for my children is expose them to the world,” she said, adding that most of her own friends and family members cut her off once she left the Orthodox community. “I’m [considered] a dangerous person — someone you don’t want your children around . . . Of course it hurts.”

Still, she said, “I’m really proud to be a Jew. I have no anger towards the community. I think everyone there is a victim. People innately just want to be good.”"

https://nypost.com/2021/07/14/.....odox/

Has anyone read anywhere of her speaking about what she likes about Judaism?

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:03 pm
Wow. I'm crying. I needed to read that so badly. I want to print it and put it on my fridge

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:09 pm
Yknow Id love to watch her show on Netflix but I dont have Netflix.

Anyone know how I can access it? Trial membership?

Why? Because if ever in my life, at low points, I had the slightest thought of going OTD, now , years later, seeing her make an --- of herself, will make me thrilled I didnt go down that path.

Thank you Hashem. Thank you Hashem. Thank you Hashem.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:21 pm
You know most secular people aren’t doing reality shows.

One woman I know still teaches classes on Jewish history and halacha. She just eats non-kosher and doesn’t keep shabbos. She is the last person to come across as OTD.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:37 pm
From the trailer: "Every low-cut top, every miniskirt is an emblem of freedom" (Julia Haart.)
You're right, lawngreen, she's a moron who is setting the cause of women's equality back fifty years or more. Make an object of yourself, why don't you, and make it that much harder for other women to be seen as people and not zex toys.

Like her former community, I wouldn't want to be around her, and would keep impressionable kids away from her. I'm not charedi, but the woman dresses like a streetwalker and her daughters are following (birthday) suit. I can't believe her yarmulka-wearing sons agreed to appear in her show and have to wonder what kind of threats she had to make to get them to do so.

She's so "proud of being a Jew" that she married a shegetz and created a show to flaunt how NOT Jewish she can behave. Let's see how many of her great-grandchildren end up Jewish, shall we?

https://www.jpost.com/j-spot/m.....73734
The woman grows more repellent the more I read. I'm so in awe of her ability to use profanity! That's real freedom! Such a role model! (NOT.)

She could have been a woman to look up to. Instead, she's a woman to look away from.

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Jul 14 2021, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:38 pm
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
Wow. I'm crying. I needed to read that so badly. I want to print it and put it on my fridge

Read what?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:45 pm
I don’t think we need to create our own series as I think this specific series is less about her leaving orthodoxy and more about her ‘glamorous’ new life -had she chosen a female partner, became an accountant, eaten at grief potluck dinners and moved to the Midwest I highly doubt that the series would be existing. This is much more about fashion money and power than anything else.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:52 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I don’t think we need to create our own series as I think this specific series is less about her leaving orthodoxy and more about her ‘glamorous’ new life -had she chosen a female partner, became an accountant, eaten at grief potluck dinners and moved to the Midwest I highly doubt that the series would be existing. This is much more about fashion money and power than anything else.

Not only that, but if not for her oooozing money, theres nothing to be jealous about. Thats it, only money.

I think most non-Jewish people will squirm with discomfort when watching and listening to her.

If anything it'll reveal way more vices of hers than virtues.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 5:17 pm
There have been some documentaries about the frum community that didn't make us look like freaks.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 5:37 pm
zaq wrote:
From the trailer: "Every low-cut top, every miniskirt is an emblem of freedom" (Julia Haart.)
You're right, lawngreen, she's a moron who is setting the cause of women's equality back fifty years or more. Make an object of yourself, why don't you, and make it that much harder for other women to be seen as people and not zex toys.

Like her former community, I wouldn't want to be around her, and would keep impressionable kids away from her. I'm not charedi, but the woman dresses like a streetwalker and her daughters are following (birthday) suit. I can't believe her yarmulka-wearing sons agreed to appear in her show and have to wonder what kind of threats she had to make to get them to do so.

She's so "proud of being a Jew" that she married a shegetz and created a show to flaunt how NOT Jewish she can behave. Let's see how many of her great-grandchildren end up Jewish, shall we?

https://www.jpost.com/j-spot/m.....73734
The woman grows more repellent the more I read. I'm so in awe of her ability to use profanity! That's real freedom! Such a role model! (NOT.)

She could have been a woman to look up to. Instead, she's a woman to look away from.

That article is sick Puke

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:08 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
That article is sick Puke

The article is sick the way the mirror is ugly.
It's the woman in the article that's sick; the article is just telling it like it is.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
If anyone has a good idea for a TV series that would show our lives in a positive way, let's hear it. I have the connections to make it happen.

Maybe be in touch with Allison Joseph’s. She seems to be trying to get a network to produce stuff I think she even has

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 6:30 pm
I think we should seek more representation in general interest scripted shows. Just regular characters who happen to be frum Jews.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:18 pm
"Blaming others and the system isn't always the answer." is what I heard another mother say.

I want to know when you watched the show did you stop to think that maybe she's not blaming, but expressing her pain. Maybe some of her choices of words were not one hundred percent accurate or tasteful at all. But in her mind, this is her reality. It may not be THE reality, but its hers.
I dont think the show is amazing, I dont think everything about it is right, but if we can learn one thing, maybe that can be acceptance. How horrible do you feel that your life is being portrayed as stifling, from reading all the comments Im noticing that most of us dont feel great, lets not discuss her life in the same way.
There are people in every religion and nationality that come out and speak about the trauma they've been through in their personal journey in religion. There are so many people who wrote books and movies and documentaries about leaving the Mormon life. Do you know what shunning them did? well not nothing, it pushed them even farther away.
Lets not show the world that our religion is so fragile that a TV series throws us off the rails. Lets show them that our religion is unbreakable, that nothing can shut us down, lets do this by continuing to serve hashem with love and compassion

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 8:51 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
"Do you know what shunning them did? well not nothing, it pushed them even farther away.

How much further can she be pushed?

adinalow

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
"Blaming others and the system isn't always the answer." is what I heard another mother say.

I want to know when you watched the show did you stop to think that maybe she's not blaming, but expressing her pain. Maybe some of her choices of words were not one hundred percent accurate or tasteful at all. But in her mind, this is her reality. It may not be THE reality, but its hers.
I dont think the show is amazing, I dont think everything about it is right, but if we can learn one thing, maybe that can be acceptance. How horrible do you feel that your life is being portrayed as stifling, from reading all the comments Im noticing that most of us dont feel great, lets not discuss her life in the same way.
There are people in every religion and nationality that come out and speak about the trauma they've been through in their personal journey in religion. There are so many people who wrote books and movies and documentaries about leaving the Mormon life. Do you know what shunning them did? well not nothing, it pushed them even farther away.
Lets not show the world that our religion is so fragile that a TV series throws us off the rails. Lets show them that our religion is unbreakable, that nothing can shut us down, lets do this by continuing to serve hashem with love and compassion

Thank you. As I was reading I was waiting for someone to take this compassionate stance. The poor woman is obviously in so much pain. She must have suffered greatly in her previous life for her to go so far and become so antagonistic. I am in no way condoning her lifestyle or vitriol against our community. May Hashem let her feel His love for her, and heal her poor lost neshama.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics