Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is he being pushy?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:45 am
We visited a local furniture showroom (Jewish business) earlier this week.

We left and said we aren't quite sure what will work, we will think about it. And will bit if we would like to go ahead. There was no single piece of furniture we were into, the guy was trying to persuade us about 1 particular piece but we weren't convinced it suited our needs.

I now got an email, that I should kindly get back to them to confirm what we'd like to order.

Why are some people so pushy? Why should we confirm an order when we were clearly not going for anything? Is it even appropriate?

I know it's business but there's trying to make a sale and then there's being pushy.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 2:48 am
It's a sales tactic. Some people respond to this approach, others are turned off by this approach.

You fall into the latter category (I can't blame you).

Shop elsewhere, unless there is really something there you like.

amother
Cherry

He's being very pushy and using wrong tactics to get you to buy. You should reply back that his furniture don't suit your needs and you won't be placing an order.

LisaS

Sounds like he is just starting out. He doesn't realize his pushiness is a big turnoff. Don't pay any attention and move on to the next store.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:00 am
He’s not trying to offend you, he’s trying to make a sale. Don’t buy if you don’t want to. No reason to take it personally.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:01 am
He's been in this business for a long time.

Yes, I'm so turned off.

I would buy there if I would have liked something or been worth the price.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:03 am
Also, he asked for our details when we left, as if we made a deal that visiting the showroom means we will definitely buy something.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also, he asked for our details when we left, as if we made a deal that visiting the showroom means we will definitely buy something.

But why did you give him your details? And after you did, you really didn’t expect him to contact you? You gave him your contact info!

The pushy part was asking for contact info from casual browsers. You could have said no at that point too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 3:12 am
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
But why did you give him your details? And after you did, you really didn’t expect him to contact you? You gave him your contact info!

The pushy part was asking for contact info from casual browsers. You could have said no at that point too.

We are polite and answered to his questions. And no, I didn't expect him to contact regarding confirmation.

I wouldn't mind though if he updates us if there is new stock coming in. I don't mind giving him parnossa if there is something suitable.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:52 am
Yeah it's pushy, but that's what salespeople do. Especially if they work on commission.

The pushiest salespeople I've ever encountered were a) a Mary Kay person trying to not just get me to buy products but mainly to get recruited into the business b) a lower level sales person in a Judaica gift store (I already came in knowing I wanted to buy a specific item, she kept trying to push something else obviously because it came in a higher price range & she wanted the commission). I've shopped there when the owner waited on me, and she was not pushy in the slightest.

Usually people who make it to higher level sales are a bit smoother and less obvious about it, so I understand it seems a bit jarring for the owner to be a bit unpolished about it. However, you are under no obligation to buy if you don't want to, even if you did give him your details. But once you did, you can expect to be contacted. Eventually he will move on, if you don't respond.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:55 am
Is sent him an email thanking for his time and help but I won't be ordering as it's not suitable.

He replied with pics of more items asking if I'd like any of those.

The answer is NO.

His stuff is not the style I want. Why doesn't he get the message after he's told.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is sent him an email thanking for his time and help but I won't be ordering as it's not suitable.

He replied with pics of more items asking if I'd like any of those.

The answer is NO.

His stuff is not the style I want. Why doesn't he get the message after he's told.

Just ignore him. You are under no obligation to communicate with him further.

Flag his email as SPAM so it will get sent to your SPAM folder and you won't have to deal with it.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:59 am
If you responded once, simply ignore subsequent emails. He will get the hint. No reason to get upset. You can always block his emails.

I promise you, he is not as pushy as that sales lady at the gift shop. She actually started yelling at me and was scowling angrily as I stood my ground and paid for the original item. I honestly didn't care. I bought exactly what wanted and that was all.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 7:16 am
There are high-pressure salespeople and low-pressure salespeople. They can be equally successful, and neither method is illegal. What you call pushy the local retail marketing association calls assertive or persevering. If you don't like their sales tactics, don't shop there.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 8:05 am
I’ve had a similar story, we were both so nice with each other, he showed us samples (not furniture but some other big purchase), and we were genuinely interested and looking at options, but in no way made it look like we’re ready to purchase immediately.
At the end we went with somebody else. Next thing we knew, we got a long email cursing us with G-Ds name, because we didn’t order by him.
In no way did we lead him on, so I’m not sure what he was thinking, but it was upsetting that somebody in the industry who had a reputable and professional name, acted this way.
It took us a while to come to peace with the feeling that it’s totally his problem and not ours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette