Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
My master list for pesach
1  2  Next

imokay

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:23 pm
if anybody is making pesach for the 1st time, this list cud be helpful. it was compiled after careful thought and lots of polling. let me know if u thought of anything that I left out (besides for dishes and cutlery- I opted to go for plastic)
:-)
Appliances
Urn
Mixer
Electric Hand Blender
Food Processor
Microwave

Kitchen Items
Counter Covers
Pot holders
Pots
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cups
Bowls
Big Bowls
Peeler
Can Opener
Goggles
Salt/ pepper shakers
Cork screw
Blech
Seeve
Ladel
Milchig Frying Pan
Spatula (Frying)
Spatula (Baking)
Fish Pot
Cutting Board
Knives
Salad Bowl
Egg Slicer
Salad Tongs
Place Mats
Pitcher
Alluminum Burner Things
Sponge Holders

Paper Goods
Plates
Bowls
Cups
Knives
Spoons
Spoons
Forks
Aluminum Pans
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
Regular Aluminum Foil
Plastic Containers and Lids
Napkins
Hot Cups
Plastic Tablecloths
Sponges
Steelwool
Disposable Gloves
Toothpicks
Muffin Holders
Disposable Aprons
Skewers
Cup Cake Holders

Household Items
Towels
Broom
Shovel
Washing Cups
Paper Towel Holder
Vacuum Bags
Cookbook
Table Cloths
Soap
Lighter/ Matches
Candles
Matzah Holder

Clarissa

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:44 pm
Goggles? Is there something I don't know? I'm picturing somebody so stringent about cleaning and checking vegetables that they actually don snorkeling gear so they can dunk their heads in to look when the broccoli, or whatever, is underwater.

GetReal

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:45 pm
Maybe the goggles are to wear when grating the marror, to protect the eyes?

Clarissa

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 1:22 pm
Ah, that makes sense.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 3:45 pm
If someone's on a budget, rather than buy everything I might need and then some, you could leave out about half of the list.

Some of those things, I don't even have for chometz.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 4:03 pm
its a great list to work with.if u are on a budget obviously u shouldn't purchase what is absolutely needed.
1st time people should start w/these items it makes life much easier(except the microwave,I dont have and dont want)
shal maybe come up w/a list for on a budget???

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 4:05 pm
shalhevet wrote:
If someone's on a budget, rather than buy everything I might need and then some, you could leave out about half of the list.

Some of those things, I don't even have for chometz.

exactly... for pesach I make do with the minimum.. I have enough expenses as it is that I'm not gonna buy an urn for the one shabbos tyaht I'll be home .. and a microwave... what for?? I can do with out!!!

I was teh same when I bought my oven recently.. I wasn't gonna spend another 1000 nis for 2 ovens s I said ifi needfor fleishigs I'll but a cheap toaster...

oh btw I do have a food processor but you know aht I don't use it.. I bought it 4 years ago and hardly used it... but teh hand mixer is very handy...

oh and why do you need a seeve for?? I also bought my stuff over a few year period sdo itmade things easier eg one month dishes say 2 months later becher etc...

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 4:08 pm
I assume that in the poorer Shtetls of Europe they had a pot or two, a few plates/bowls/cups and some cutlery. Don't know what the Mizrahim did, I imagine much the same. For people with money, the sky was probably the limit as it is today.
How's that for a budget?
I don't think that in the olden days Pesach was such a gourmet holiday. I wonder if it was fun?

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 4:35 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I assume that in the poorer Shtetls of Europe they had a pot or two, a few plates/bowls/cups and some cutlery. Don't know what the Mizrahim did, I imagine much the same. For people with money, the sky was probably the limit as it is today.
How's that for a budget?
I don't think that in the olden days Pesach was such a gourmet holiday. I wonder if it was fun?

Yes Thumbs Up

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 5:10 pm
I agree, except for the fact that I am working during chol hamoed so I really want a food processor so I can actually enjoy yom tov too.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 8:31 pm
I also don't have some of those items for chometz, and certainly not for Pesach !!!!!

imokay

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 9:28 pm
oh guys, I dont have all of that either, it's just when asking all the dif. ppl, if they mentioned something I didnt have on my list, I just added it- this way I have b/4 me e/t I cud poosibly conceive of needing- and then I go thru it and I'll buy what I think I need.
oh and actually the goggles are my own addition. I cant cut onions without them Very Happy

cassandra

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 9:34 pm
Tamiri wrote:
How's that for a budget?

That's what I have. I don't do major cooking though (We are only home Chol Hamoed). I guess now I can say I have so little to make the Pesach experience more authentic. So much for $500 pillow cases.

mimivan

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 9:56 pm
imokay wrote:
oh guys, I dont have all of that either, it's just when asking all the dif. ppl, if they mentioned something I didnt have on my list, I just added it- this way I have b/4 me e/t I cud poosibly conceive of needing- and then I go thru it and I'll buy what I think I need.
oh and actually the goggles are my own addition. I cant cut onions without them Very Happy

imokay...
Well kol ha kavod on a great and comprehensive list. I am sure those of us on a budget can just take a pen and cross things out.

better to have things not everyone uses and an incomplete list, no?

Fox

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 10:01 pm
imokay wrote:
oh guys, I dont have all of that either, it's just when asking all the dif. ppl, if they mentioned something I didnt have on my list, I just added it

Right -- these are most of the conceivable things someone might need. Obviously, some people find a food processor to be indispensable and others find it a really great weight to hold open the cookbook . . . The idea is to avoid forgetting something you really do need.

salad

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 10:36 pm
Imokay - thank you so much for posting this list - it's going to be really helpful!!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 1:04 am
I have everything and it's brother and sister for Pesach (besides goggles and a liver rack). Milchig, Fleishig and Parve too. Mixer and food processor. One "good" Chef's knife for vegetables. Cutting boards, seder plate. Kiddush cups. Serving pieces, baking pans, plastic storage containers. You name it, I probably have it. I made Pesach myself for many years, and there was no reason for it to be a tircha. I also baked everything from scratch in the past so needed *whatever* to make it work. I was on WW one year so got measuring cups and spoons for Milchig, in addition to the parve I already had. It's nice to have but takes up storage space. I don't love using paper plates + plastic cutlery so I have that too. Nothing is fancy, all utilitarian but I have it all.

Last edited by Tamiri on Wed, Apr 02 2008, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 4:04 am
yeah over 20 year period you can get bit by bit ... I've seen many yerushalmi's kashering all their chametz for pesach.. pots, silverware etc...

whoever doesn't have makes do without...

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 6:15 am
I can't imagine going w/out a food processor,or a hotwater urn.
the goggles are a great idea,I do a whole bag of onions at once(my eyes stay red all dayeven though I use a food processor to chop them up,I've tried the running water/salt everthing) and freeze them after sauteeing them.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 6:43 am
Appliances
Urn - (Do without)
Mixer (kasher chametz pieces and clean base well, or use hand mixer on Pesach)
Electric Hand Blender (kasher chametz blender)
Food Processor (kasher chametz FP pieces, clean base well)
Microwave (Don't have one for every day)

Kitchen Items
Pot holders (do without)
Pots (cleaning them before kashering is VERY hard work buy one or two each year until you have enough)
Measuring Spoons (manage without)
Measuring Cups (manage without)
Goggles ( shock )
Blech [kasher chametz/do without/buy a new one for chametz and use first on Pesach (looks like we might be doing that this year)]
Sieve (?? How much flour do you need to sieve on Pesach? What else do you need it for?)
Fish Pot (You have a special pot for fish?)
Salad Bowl (You need a special bowl for salad? See remaining items on list below)
Egg Slicer (do without)
Salad Tongs (do without)
Place Mats (do without)
Alluminum Burner Things (not sure what this means)
Sponge Holders (not sure what this means, either)

That leaves you with the following:
Counter Covers
Bowls
Big Bowls (incl. salads)
Peeler
Can Opener
Salt/ pepper shakers
Cork screw
Ladle
Milchig Frying Pan
Spatula (Frying)
Spatula (Baking)
Cutting Board
Knives
Pitcher

What I have done is that every year I have usually bought one big item for Pesach. Quite often it is something that I need for everyday (chametz) and then make use of it for Pesach and take it into everyday use after that. Even so, after seventeen years of marriage, b"H, we have accumulated quite a stock of Pesach equipment, including crockery and silverware (we don't use disposables on Pesach if we can avoid it). This year, I have a new 4 burner gas stove that I bought a few months ago at a second hand store for 50 NIS - it was new in the box!
No more kashering the gas stove for me - Yay!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics