Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chicago questions (social life/chassidish community)

tcm92

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:51 am
Hi,
We are considering a move to Chicago next year and had a few questions regarding the Chassidish shuls/community and how to get to know people (social gatherings, playgrounds, apartments with families). We don't have any family or friends there but hope to find our place Smile pilot trip in December iH.
If anyone is willing to chat by phone or by email, I would love to hear your feedback and recommendations!
If anyone prefers to reply here, here are a few things I've been wondering:
a) What are each of the 3 chassidish shuls like? Do any of them have more of a community feel? Eg, events, shiurim.
b) Are women involved in any of the shuls activities?
c) Where do people meet up? What's a good way to get to know others? Playgrounds? Shul?
d) Are there any social activities for the community in general?
e) Playgroup recommendations please! Prefer it to be clean, with kind staff.
f) Are there any apartment complexes that are good for families?
g) Are the streets safe to walk around?
Thank you in advance for all your help!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 11:53 am
tcm92 wrote:
Hi,
We are considering a move to Chicago next year and had a few questions regarding the Chassidish shuls/community and how to get to know people (social gatherings, playgrounds, apartments with families). We don't have any family or friends there but hope to find our place Smile pilot trip in December iH.
If anyone is willing to chat by phone or by email, I would love to hear your feedback and recommendations!
a) What are each of the 3 chassidish shuls like? Do any of them have more of a community feel? Eg, events, shiurim.
c) Where do people meet up? What's a good way to get to know others? Playgrounds? Shul?

I will mainly comment on the Chassidish aspect. I am not sure what shuls you are counting as "3" -- there are more than that.

However, please note that despite that and the 2 chassidishe kollelim here, there is NO chassidishe community. Almost all of the chassidim here are either melamdim or kollel yungerleit. There are only a couple of others who are chassidishe. You do not want to move her for a chassidishe community.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:09 pm
tcm92 wrote:
Hi,

I am in Chicago. I am not chassidish but I daven at Rabbi Twerskys shul when I manage to get to shul and its such a nice group of people. There is a wide range of people from those who appreciate chassidus to people who have taken on the full levush/minhagim. The shul offers childrens programming on shabbos so women do go to shul. The womens side is super comfortable. There is family events during the year.

I have met most of my friends from the park, shul or my kids schools

You are free to PM me if you have more questions. I really like it here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating