Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How big of a job is wardrobing your family?
1  2  3  4  Next

Getting clothes for children next season...
Is something I think about a few days a season, when I go to stores. Then done.  
 36%  [ 76 ]
Is something I think about for a few weeks each season, and then again briefly at clearance time.  
 43%  [ 90 ]
Is something I think about regularly because it's on instagram, but it doesn't occupy much mental space.  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Is something I think about on a regular basis most weeks, like a hobby.  
 14%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 209

wiki

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:18 pm
I'm curious if I'm normal or if I'm an outlier on this.

For moms with kids at home, how much of your mental space do you devote to shopping and planning and buying and getting deals on clothes for the next season for your kid/s?

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:19 pm
I hate shopping and going to stores. I shop mostly online and try to get over with it as fast as possible.

Fave

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:21 pm
It takes us way too much of time and mental space. I hate every minute of it.

bsy

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:22 pm
Maybe a couple hours. sometimes a few days before pesach. I rarely shop and even more rarely current season's clothes.

lfab

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:29 pm
I don't really spend much time on it. I have several good sources for current style hand me downs so get a lot of my kids clothes from that. After that I make a trip to Serendipity (in Lakewood) to fill in as much as I can of what's missing. Any filler items needed I generally order online.
But shoes, don't even get me started on how much time/mental energy I end up spending getting my kids shoes! I refuse to pay frum store prices so end up ordering a lot from Amazon and then am busy returning. I have a couple who are harder to fit and a couple who constantly destroy their shoes so feel like I'm forever busy buying shoes.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:30 pm
I enjoy thinking about it. It brings me pleasure to see my kids dressed pretty and cute. I don’t obsess over it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:32 pm
I dont really care about the styles, but when I'm sitting and bored I'll explore a few sites to see what's on sale and order what catches my eye for the next season.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:32 pm
I’m astounded by this question. This is not something I give even a second of mental space to. We buy the clothes and launder them and lay them out each night for the next day out that doesn’t occupy any ‘space’ in my brain.

What on earth on people thinking about this for? And I’ve never even heard of wardrobe as a verb

bsy

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:35 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I’m astounded by this question. This is not something I give even a second of mental space to. We buy the clothes and launder them and lay them out each night for the next day out that doesn’t occupy any ‘space’ in my brain.

What on earth on people thinking about this for? And I’ve never even heard of wardrobe as a verb

you know all those threads about matching kids? That takes time and energy and mental space. Being current and trendy means shopping every season. I personally dont do it, but it seems like many do.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:37 pm
bsy wrote:
you know all those threads about matching kids? That takes time and energy and mental space. Being current and trendy means shopping every season. I personally dont do it, but it seems like many do.

Oh yes but they always say that it’s easier to match them lol! I guess I’m an alien. I like seeing my kids looking cute but it’s not a preoccupation or hobby of mine.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

You’re astounded that people enjoy things that you don’t? It’s not that hard to understand.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
You’re astounded that people enjoy things that you don’t? It’s not that hard to understand.
m

That’s silly. I enjoy hiking. And travel. And ice cream. Doesn’t mean I think about to all day. Nor does any of that take up mental space.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:42 pm
I enjoy shopping and coordinating my kids. On Instagram I’ll see the new items coming in. If I like it I’ll buy it. Then a few weeks before the season I go into the stores and buy what I still need and I’m done. I’m usually done way in advance. For exp. I’ll have my kids summer wardrobes march/April. Then at the 50% off sales I’ll go into stores to see if there’s anything I could buy for the next season.
It’s something I enjoy but doesn’t stress myself out.
I see it, I like it, I buy it. If it’s sold out I move on.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
m

That’s silly. I enjoy hiking. And travel. And ice cream. Doesn’t mean I think about to all day. Nor does any of that take up mental space.

I don’t think you are understanding. It takes up as much space as those things take up. Like you see an ad for ice cream and you think oh I want to try that flavor next time. Or when you pass an ice cream store you say I like ice cream so I’m going in. In the ice cream store you take a few minutes to think about the different flavors and which ones you want to try today. Later you might tell someone I really enjoyed that ice cream you should try it. That’s about it. No need to act like people are crazy just because you don’t enjoy it.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 1:55 pm
I hate shopping DH does most of it for the boys and he has discovered he has pretty good taste at picking out clothes for our toddler girl. A lot comes from goodwill and other second hand stores.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 2:18 pm
I love shopping mine takes a few weeks in dribs and drabs and then I spend the rest of the season using all my self control to not buy every last cute outfit I see in the stores 😂
I don't have kids yet but when I do I'll probably spend even longer on them and enjoy every minute of it.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Do you provide clothes for the members of your family?? If yes, that takes up mental space and energy. Nope? Not the same as getting a cone from the ice cream truck
If you don't buy clothes for your kids and dh, then I can see why you would be "astounded ".

And in language, anything can be made into a verb so save your ridicule.

I'm MO and live in Manhattan so my kids dress super simple zara, hm, etc, never match or wear trendy frum styles and yes, it's still of course takes up mental energy. That's life. Hold the condescending tone.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:37 pm
It's something I end up needing to think about regularly but not on Instagram and not as a hobby.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:45 pm
I don't find myself in any of these options. I hate shopping, wish I could just do it all in one day and be done. And not think about it till next season. But having a large family of growing kids, they always need new clothing. Or underwear. Or pajamas. Or something. Takes me a good few weeks at the beginning of each season to outfit the whole family, yom tov clothes, school clothes, socks... And then in middle of the year this one grows, or that one's pants tore. And so on, it always goes on. Constant pressure. But not because I want to. Not because I enjoy it. And I'm never on Instagram, so that's not causing me to have so much preoccupation with clothing shopping. It's just the vast quantities of clothing I need! I always wish I had a personal shopper. Life would be so much easier.

I just barely finished shopping for camp clothes. I got a couple weeks break, but it's almost time to start shopping for the new school year and sukkos! I'm having conniptions just at the thought!

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:48 pm
Now my kids are grown, but when they were growing, looking for tznius girls clothes definitely took up head space and time . Always checking out stores to look for the one or two appropriate skirts/ elbow covering shirts that my out of town stores might stock that year. The worst were the camp years, when they needed so much stuff.

I don't enjoy shopping, and honestly I am thankful to be done with that chore.

At least girls were willing to shop and try on clothes. Don't get me started on boys...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics