Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How big of a job is wardrobing your family?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Getting clothes for children next season...
Is something I think about a few days a season, when I go to stores. Then done.  
 36%  [ 76 ]
Is something I think about for a few weeks each season, and then again briefly at clearance time.  
 43%  [ 90 ]
Is something I think about regularly because it's on instagram, but it doesn't occupy much mental space.  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Is something I think about on a regular basis most weeks, like a hobby.  
 14%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 209

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 1:41 pm
Never did. I bought as needed and kept it pushing. My kids are teens and older now and have jobs and allowances and can get themselves their own clothing and stress about it themselves. I surely wasn’t.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
In Israel you don’t have the seasonal differences that we do on the NE coast of the US. We have super cold winters and super hot summers. Some of the clothing that they didn’t grow out of can be worn in the next season but it’s not realistic to wear the same Shabbos outfit in June as in January.

Do you live here? Because we certainly do have seasons. You'll sweat to death if you wear January sweaters and long sleeves in the 95F heat of July or August.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:00 pm
I chose the second option. My kids are small and growing so I basically need to buy new wardrobes twice a year. I also enjoy beautiful clothes, but also unique clothing and also not expensive clothing, so that’s what takes the time. I shop almost exclusively online as I don’t enjoy in-person shopping. I do find shopping tedious so I’m glad if a hand-me-down works or if I randomly find a great sale on something gorgeous I can save for the next year and cut my shopping time.

No need to feel defensive about liking fashion; I enjoy beautiful things, like nature and art, and I consider clothing to be wearable art. I get that many people don’t care for it but I’d never laugh at them for their opinion, or for having different interests.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:10 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I chose the second option. My kids are small and growing so I basically need to buy new wardrobes twice a year. I also enjoy beautiful clothes, but also unique clothing and also not expensive clothing, so that’s what takes the time. I shop almost exclusively online as I don’t enjoy in-person shopping. I do find shopping tedious so I’m glad if a hand-me-down works or if I randomly find a great sale on something gorgeous I can save for the next year and cut my shopping time.

No need to feel defensive about liking fashion; I enjoy beautiful things, like nature and art, and I consider clothing to be wearable art. I get that many people don’t care for it but I’d never laugh at them for their opinion, or for having different interests.

I know you like different, but would you share what websites you use please? Wink

I doubt I live anywhere near you Smile I've had from zulilly before but you have to be lucky.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:46 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
I know you like different, but would you share what websites you use please? Wink

I doubt I live anywhere near you Smile I've had from zulilly before but you have to be lucky.

I shop all over (hence the time Smile ). It’s more about a certain style than brand. I love color, interesting silhouettes, and tend to buy things with faces or interesting graphics. I shop at sites like Zara, HM, Old Navy, NextDirect, AlexandAlexa, ChildrenSalon outlet, YOOX, Farfetch and even Amazon. Free shipping is a must, free returns are best.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:36 pm
DrMom wrote:
Do you live here? Because we certainly do have seasons. You'll sweat to death if you wear January sweaters and long sleeves in the 95F heat of July or August.
I did for a few years.
So your kids wear the same clothing all-year/round?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 4:01 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I shop all over (hence the time Smile ). It’s more about a certain style than brand. I love color, interesting silhouettes, and tend to buy things with faces or interesting graphics. I shop at sites like Zara, HM, Old Navy, NextDirect, AlexandAlexa, ChildrenSalon outlet, YOOX, Farfetch and even Amazon. Free shipping is a must, free returns are best.

Oh man I've now looked at children's salon outlet, it's expensive but such adorable dresses for my 5 year old! I have one dd, I might treat myself to one. It's definitely not for her, it would be for me. I've never cared for designer makes, as long as I love the style, colour etc I'm fine with cheaper stuff but they do have stunning stuff.

I'll probably get something from there for my son's bar mitzvah which is just before pesach iyh.

rgr

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:11 pm
Shopping takes time and energy even when you try to not obsess over it.

Shells, socks, shoes is what really does me in.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I did for a few years.
So your kids wear the same clothing all-year/round?

No, she's saying they don't. It gets cold and rainy and windy and yes, even snowy in the winter, and is dry and sweltering in the summer. We do have seasons in Israel and our kids need different clothes for different times of year. But I don't know anyone who goes out and buys new wardrobes every season.

ilic

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:28 pm
Teomima wrote:
No, she's saying they don't. It gets cold and rainy and windy and yes, even snowy in the winter, and is dry and sweltering in the summer. We do have seasons in Israel and our kids need different clothes for different times of year. But I don't know anyone who goes out and buys new wardrobes every season.

If you dont buy them new clothes then how do they have appropriate clothes for each season? And what happens when they outgrow their clothes?

I dont particularly enjoy shopping, especially not for myself or my teens. But kids bh grow and sometimes need new clothes even midseason. I'm not saying it takes over my life but its definitely a constant in it. Clothes outgrow, sometimes get ruined, get lost, tights tear, shoes break or get too small, and there is alot to keep track of per kid - pjs, underwear, uniforms, shabbos clothes per season, weekday clothes per season, sport clothes eg swim football etc, sometimes snow clothes, where I live summer is all 4 seasons so I need to make sure e1 is kitted with eth for cold rainy days to scorching sunny days.
I do have them wear things until they outgrow it so that also means I often start the season with some old clothes that then need to be replaced midseason.
Hand me downs haven't worked for me in yrs, my girls have developed very different body shapes add they've grown, and age diff between my boys is too big to make sense to keep boxes of clothes for so many yrs
I don't really shop deals much because I don't have enough disposable income to buy things when I don't need it right now, so unless what I need right then is on sale I buy full price

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 11:15 pm
ilic wrote:
If you dont buy them new clothes then how do they have appropriate clothes for each season? And what happens when they outgrow their clothes?

I never said I don't buy them new clothes. But I buy what they need, as needed, and pretty much only for my older couple of kids. Sometimes certain articles of clothing will still fit for a couple of years. And it's not like a girl needs different skirts for winter or summer, just a different choice of what she wears under the skirt. So there's hardly a need for a whole new wardrobe. And I don't buy new clothes for chagim etc. if they already have nice stuff that fits.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:12 am
Not sure where anybody got the idea that I force my kids to wear clothes that don't work for the weather.

Obviously, I don't make my kids continue to wear heavy winter clothing in summer just because the clothing still fits. Why would anyone assume that? I switch to their lighter set of clothing in the summer and put away their heavier clothes (assuming the article of clothing is not worn out) until next winter. If it still fits next winter, they can wear it for another season, if not, it will be replaced.

I hope that was clearer.

tp3

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:51 am
Teomima wrote:

So boys wear long sleeve/pants in the summer or short sleeve/pants in the winter?
How does that work?
Kids summer clothing are thin and cotton while winter clothing is more of a thick knit, heavier materials. Light colors don't work for winter and dark clothing doesn't work in summer.
So how are kids not switching clothing at least twice a year?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:53 am
tp3 wrote:
So boys wear long sleeve/pants in the summer or short sleeve/pants in the winter?
How does that work?
Kids summer clothing are thin and cotton while winter clothing is more of a thick knit, heavier materials. Light colors don't work for winter and dark clothing doesn't work in summer.

Teach me your ways 😀

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:04 am
tp3 wrote:
How does that work?

Who said they are wearing the same clothing tear-round? Some items can cross over, some can't.

Switching clothing for seasons does not mean buying a whole new wardrobe each year. Why is there confusion here?

Teomima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:25 am
tp3 wrote:
How does that work?

I have no idea where you got this from.
My kids wear summer clothes in the summer, and winter clothes in the winter (and while it can be uncomfortable to wear dark clothes in the summer heat, I don't consider light colored clothes to be in any way unsuitable for winter). Some articles of clothing are weather-appropriate no matter what season it is. Some clothing will fit for two or more years so summer clothes will be packed up and stored through the winter, ready to be worn the following summer, and the same goes for winter clothes in the summer.

This thread is not about switching wardrobes, rather purchasing new wardrobes. I rarely buy my kids new clothes though I do so if and as needed. They have seasonally appropriate clothing, but not new wardrobes every season.

Does that help clarify things?

ilic

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:29 am
Teomima wrote:
I never said I don't buy them new clothes. But I buy what they need, as needed, and pretty much only for my older couple of kids. Sometimes certain articles of clothing will still fit for a couple of years. And it's not like a girl needs different skirts for winter or summer, just a different choice of what she wears under the skirt. So there's hardly a need for a whole new wardrobe. And I don't buy new clothes for chagim etc. if they already have nice stuff that fits.

You and others made it sound like most of your kids clothes magically grow with them that they hardly need new clothes! So you do spend time checking clothes fit and buying new, I guess you just call it different? Or maybe you find shopping easier so it isnt such a stress? And also your dressing style must be different too because my girls definitely do need different skirts for different weather, they wear tights under all year round.
I do have 1 child who can wear clothes and shoes for years before it gets too small, so I get that.
But now that my girls have to be fully tznius, they need new clothes more often as they are constantly growing. For eg I'm sending 1 dd to camp this month, and last yr I pretty much bought her eth new for camp in August so I thought she'd have plenty. Last week I had her try everything, and every single skirt and dress was too short. As in not covering her knees too short. Her older sister is way taller and broader than her so her skirts just wont ever fit. Luckily I did have a few tshirts to pass down, otherwise I need to buy her everything new. So even if in theory they don't need a new wardrobe, practically they do.
I also have a ds who knh grows with the rain or sth, he needs new pants and shoes at least 3-4 times a year as they get too small. So that includes school, weekday and shabbos pants, and school shoes, shabbos shoes, trainers. His crocs he wore yesterday for tishabav I noticed were way too small, his heels were half off. I bought them for tishabav last year.
Your lucky hand me downs work for your younger kids, as I mentioned it hasn't for mine for years.
But I find it fascinating how different ppl have such different shopping habits, sometimes I wish I could buy clothes once and be done, I really dont enjoy it most of the time, it's just one of those things I need to keep doing and constantly on top of like laundry and making supper etc.

tp3

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:35 am
It's ok, thanks. I don't have any clothing that fits kids longer than one year (season) so I'm confused but I guess my kids grow differently. Maybe t-shirts, like if they're size 10-12 boys for example, they might last two summers.

tp3

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:40 am
DrMom wrote:
Who said they are wearing the same clothing tear-round? Some items can cross over, some can't.

Switching clothing for seasons does not mean buying a whole new wardrobe each year. Why is there confusion here?

How do they switch clothing for seasons if you aren't buying new clothing for them? I thought maybe you meant you have clothing that works for both seasons, but I guess not that either.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 2:46 am
ilic wrote:
You and others made it sound like most of your kids clothes magically grow with them that they hardly need new clothes! So you do spend time checking clothes fit and buying new, I guess you just call it different? Or maybe you find shopping easier so it isnt such a stress? And also your dressing style must be different too because my girls definitely do need different skirts for different weather, they wear tights under all year round.

The thread poll asks how much time and energy do you spend on buying your child's next season wardrobe. I don't buy my children a wardrobe at a time, so I don't spend any time or energy thinking about it. When I buy what they need, regardless of what time of year it is, I spend minimal time thinking about it because all I have to get is what is needed. If my child outgrows something, I buy the next size up. If they don't have enough of something, I buy more. I either add it to my to do list next time I'm at the mall or go online and order what is needed. But it's only a few articles of clothing at a time, if that.

I agree that dressing style has a lot to do with it. Personal preference, different tzniut standards, etc, of course that plays a role.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics