Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sending girls home on Friday from camp

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:06 pm
So I want to hear other people opinion . Many camps Including the one where dd went send home the entire camp for shabbos/ tisha baav on Friday morning . The first half girls didn't get a full 4 weeks of camp but was charged for 4 weeks . The other girls are returning on Tuesday for second half . Of course all the transportation costs are on the parents . I was very upset about not giving the full 4 weeks . When we were in camp we always stayed for tisha baav . This year it came out very convenient for the camps and they took full advantage of it

They stopped visiting day so probably they figure this is instead of visiting day

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I want to hear other people opinion . Many camps Including the one where dd went send home the entire camp for shabbos/ tisha baav on Friday morning . The first half girls didn't get a full 4 weeks of camp but was charged for 4 weeks . The other girls are returning on Tuesday for second half . Of course all the transportation costs are on the parents . I was very upset about not giving the full 4 weeks . When we were in camp we always stated for tisha baav . This year it came out very convenient for the camps and they took full advantage of it

You knew the schedule before she went to camp, yes?
You chose to send her anyways despite it not being 4 weeks?
If both the answers to these questions are yes then sorry- you have nothing to be upset about. You weren't tricked into anything.
If you didn't know in advance and it was the camp's fault that you were unaware, then we have something to talk about.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:08 pm
Heard of a few camps who did this. With constantly increasing prices I find it very unfair to the parents.
(Let's not even mention the fact all the laundry that will need to be done on Monday....)

Pear- yes, but it's still annoying. Increase in prices for a decrease in service is annoying, even if we're told about it up front.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
If both the answers to these questions are yes then sorry- you have nothing to be upset about. You weren't tricked into anything.
If you didn't know in advance and it was the camp's fault that you were unaware, then we have something to talk about.

I doubt anyone knew the exact schedule when they gave the deposit in March.

Additionally many camps decided to do it last minute, and many families now needed to squish their teens into their small bungalows.

Completely senseless.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:10 pm
You are right. However, the camps are still gipping the parents. Pretty much all the chassidish girls camps did it this year so the only choice was not to go to camp. So, yes, we had the option but the camps are still taking advantage....

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I want to hear other people opinion . Many camps Including the one where dd went send home the entire camp for shabbos/ tisha baav on Friday morning . The first half girls didn't get a full 4 weeks of camp but was charged for 4 weeks . The other girls are returning on Tuesday for second half . Of course all the transportation costs are on the parents . I was very upset about not giving the full 4 weeks . When we were in camp we always stayed for tisha baav . This year it came out very convenient for the camps and they took full advantage of it

They stopped visiting day so probably they figure this is instead of visiting day

It's very upsetting. There's no reason to send home an entire camp during the summer and have the parents figure out and pay for transportation.
The girls are also upset that they're not getting the full 4 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:12 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Heard of a few camps who did this. With constantly increasing prices I find it very unfair to the parents.
(Let's not even mention the fact all the laundry that will need to be done on Monday....)

Pear- yes, but it's still annoying. Increase in prices for a decrease in service is annoying, even if we're told about it up front.

Yes thank you ! That's another thing I didn't mention the dirty laundry laying around till it can be washed

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:12 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:

Actually, parent’s didn't know about this before. And even if they did, it's still unreasonable of a camp to do and they're totally taking advantage of parents.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 5:16 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:

Actually I didn't know about it. In advance . In January when I gave a deposit they didn't say anything . When I got the papers I looked through it and yes saw that they coming home on a Friday and thought it was weird . Yes dd only wanted to go first half because that's when all her friends went . But then don't charge full price! And I pay more than most parents because we don't qualify for the lunch program! One mother complained before camp so they told her oh there is a choice to come home on Monday! Guess what it was not true and was no choice !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children