Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Chase Sapphire for teen

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:00 pm
Was anyone successful getting this approved for an 18 year old. What did you do?

Mine was denied. Would love those 100 k points!

Application says can only use household income over age 21 (why not down to 18? Makes no sense).

Household has enough income and fantastic credit. Dc was just added as an authorized user on my oldest cards but otherwise has no credit history and only summer income.

Thanks for your advice (I don't know how to navigate Dan's Deals Smile.

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:13 pm
You can definitely try if you don’t mind a hard inquiry to her credit- but keep in mind Chase (like many other cc companies) is particular about credit history. Meaning they need at least a few years of solid good payments on their own or authorized cards, loans, car payments etc.
A good FICO score # means nothing unfortunately. 18 year olds have zero history.

The message you will probably get back with a denial is- there isn’t enough information to establish a good credit history.

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:15 pm
Chase Sapphire in general is a pretty hard card to get approved for even with decent solid credit. But if you don’t mind the ding- go for it! Lots of luck!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:35 pm
When I was that age I tried to apply for a regular chase card and I got denied because no credit history. Finally my local chase bank got me approved for a special student Visa card they had at the time that had a $800 credit limit lol. After a few months it went up to $1300 and then a few months later they rolled it only a regular chase freedom. I made sure to make regular small purchases and pay on time and able if a year or two later I applied for sapphire and got approved with an additional $12k limit. I know this isn’t what you want to hear but it’s hard for young people to get approved foe credit cards in general let alone a more deluxe card

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 3:46 pm
If you want to build her credit, add her on as a user to your credit card account so that she gets a card in her name (under your bill). That's the fastest.
Sign her up for the Credit Karma app, which is free. And you both can check in and watch her credit score go up and know when to apply.
Another good way for her to build credit, and manage her own money (not under your bill) is for her to take out a secure credit card. She'll put up say $500, and then she has that money she put up as her credit limit for the card.
With either of these options, the card needs to be used and the bill paid each month in order to build history.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 4:21 pm
Another way to build her credit is to get her a store credit card like Macy’s

newyorker5

Post Sat, Jul 17 2021, 8:56 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
Another way to build her credit is to get her a store credit card like Macy’s

Yup this is a good way to build credit. I did that and then after a couple months with good Pmt history I got approved with chase

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:36 pm
These are great ideas and I'll start on them.

But has anyone gotten their teen approved without a prior cc of their own? Can you tell me what steps you did?

(Would like to snag the 100k for dc)

So frustrated that household income (aka parents) can only be used over age 22. Why is that and what's different about 18 year olds that they can't?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children