Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How do girls handle getting their period in camp?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 2:59 pm
My daughter is new to this.
How do they handle discreetly taking pads into the bathroom?
My heart goes out to my daughter- thinking of her waking up with a heavily soaked pad in the morning and not having enough privacy to change.
How do they handle period stained underwear in camp??

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:03 pm
We actually bought dark underwear (navy or black) and just a handful of light for white skirts and such.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter is new to this.
How do they handle discreetly taking pads into the bathroom?
My heart goes out to my daughter- thinking of her waking up with a heavily soaked pad in the morning and not having enough privacy to change.
How do they handle period stained underwear in camp??

Get her a pretty cosmetic bag to keep her pads and other personal items in and she can take it to the bathroom with her.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:07 pm
It was really hard. I remember there weren't trash cans in each stall and I was embarrassed to walk out with a wrapped toilet paper. I would bring tampons along with pads and use both so it's less likely to leak. I ended up throwing out the blood soaked underwear, so make sure your dd brings extra underwear.

imaima

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:10 pm
A cosmetic case or a fanny pack that she always has on, so noone will ever know that she needs to change a pad when she walks to the bathroom.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:12 pm
What would she do in school or any public place? She can just carry it in her sleeve or waistband. If you want to get more complicated, I actually sewed a "secret pocket" just the size of a pad, inside of the regular pocket of a sweatshirt I wore often.
For washing underwear, it's definitely good to have dark so that a small stain won't matter. However, to rinse them out in privacy, take them into the shower. Then find a place to let them dry mostly before putting in the laundry. I'd put a towel on the top shelf (or wherever she stores her things) and place on that-so it's exposed to air but not in full view.
Also, I'm a big fan of keeping your person business private, but also being aware that it isn't bad. Don't have to announce to your bunk, but if someone hears plastic crinkling in the bathroom, it isn't a big deal.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:12 pm
Unless she got her period unusually early, most likely most or all other girls m her bunk will have it. Just don't make a big deal. As someone else said, send her with mostly dark underwear and just a few light ones for white skirts. A pretty little cosmetic bag to carry pads in is a cute idea. But main thing is to be matter of fact about it. This is a normal fact of life for all girls - just do what needs to be done and get on w having fun.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:13 pm
Luckily my friends were pretty open about it and we often all got our periods together- that strange camp phenomenon. Still, there were quite a few incidents of clogged plumbing because girls tried to flush their pads/tampons to get rid of the evidence.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:16 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
Also, I'm a big fan of keeping your person business private, but also being aware that it isn't bad. Don't have to announce to your bunk, but if someone hears plastic crinkling in the bathroom, it isn't a big deal.

Agreed. It's a bodily function and you're all girls. Do you hide that you use the bathroom in general? And that's grosser than periods if you ask me. But pubescent girls can be awkward about it.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:21 pm
Also summer Amenorrhea is a real thing for many many HS girls.

She might not get it in camp.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:23 pm
sequoia wrote:

Wild. I've never heard of that.

happy chick

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:37 pm
sequoia wrote:

ive been in camp once with a girl who said this. she said every summer when she comes home, she goes heavy on orange juice to bring it on. never heard of that one either.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 4:38 pm
I was in camp for 3 years amd never got my period while.in camp

banana split

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:09 pm
How old is your daughter ?
It’s not embarrassing in our jpf circles - my daughter and her friends are totally open about it

honey36

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:15 pm
Just one tip I shared with friends who found it helpful. (I thought it was obvious buy maybe not). There are sometimes no toilets in the shower room, so before I went to the shower I would stick my pad on the underwear. This way I could dry off and quickly slip on the underwear.

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:27 am
I remember talking about it very openly. I also didnt get it early so maybe younger girls are more embarrassed, but we all knew about periods and I don't remember being ashamed.
Stained underwear I would just throw out in camp, send her with extra, and dark colors.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:39 am
I have five girls, all pretty close in age. Periods, pads, liners are all totally normal to talk about for all of them - even my youngest daughter who is 10 yo and hasn’t gotten her period yet. Which is soooo the opposite of me growing up - I was surrounded by brothers. None of my friends were open about getting their periods so I literally felt like I was the only one in the world going through it. Everything related to periods was mortifying for me.

I feel the same as other posters that it should be normalized and natural just like going to the bathroom. It’s all a matter of conditioning.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:49 am
In seventh grade we had a shelf in the bathroom where everyone kept their pads (in bags, of course).

Whoever never got their period in camp, count your blessings. I was one of those lucky girls who got her period three times in two months.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 1:02 am
honey36 wrote:
Just one tip I shared with friends who found it helpful. (I thought it was obvious buy maybe not). There are sometimes no toilets in the shower room, so before I went to the shower I would stick my pad on the underwear. This way I could dry off and quickly slip on the underwear.

That’s interesting… I wonder if we could stick a pad on a few pairs before she goes??

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s interesting… I wonder if we could stick a pad on a few pairs before she goes??

You mean pack her bag like that.. don't.. it's just not sanitary.

This actually seems like the right situation for thinx. Or I just tried bambody from Amazon for the first time not on my heavy day but it was perfect for the days after and a fraction of the price

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....70fde
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children