Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How do girls handle getting their period in camp?
Previous  1  2

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s interesting… I wonder if we could stick a pad on a few pairs before she goes??

What issue will this solve? She would still need to bring a pair with her to the bathroom, no?
If the problem is opening them, you can try opening part of the packet, so that they are still covered but quicker to open.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:14 am
Why all the secrecy?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:17 am
DD went up with a fanny pack. She carries it around even on non-period days, with a snack bag inside. On period days, she put a few tampons in behind the snack. (tampons are much easier to conceal than pads).

I sent her up with LOTS of underwear. She told me she ended up throwing one out. No bigee. And darker denim and black skirts for when needed. And a small vial of advil with just a few pills inside, for the beginning when she cramps and might not be able to get to the camp nurse. (Yeah, I'm waiting for the rotten tomatoes.)

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:41 am
Chayalle wrote:
DD went up with a fanny pack. She carries it around even on non-period days, with a snack bag inside. On period days, she put a few tampons in behind the snack. (tampons are much easier to conceal than pads).

I sent her up with LOTS of underwear. She told me she ended up throwing one out. No bigee. And darker denim and black skirts for when needed. And a small vial of advil with just a few pills inside, for the beginning when she cramps and might not be able to get to the camp nurse. (Yeah, I'm waiting for the rotten tomatoes.)

Rotten tomatoes? Whatever for?
This is perfect!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:44 am
essie14 wrote:
Rotten tomatoes? Whatever for?
This is perfect!

Some will object to a 13-year-old having a few advil on her. But I feel she's mature enough to know when she really needs it, and I don't give her enough that it should be a problem.

If a girl gets her period in the night, she will not want to wake the camp nurse for that, and I don't feel DD has to suffer with cramps....

honey36

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:48 am
The shower tip was more for convenience than privacy. Just because the shower stalls are small and wet and you don't want to have to start fiddling around with the pad in there and then accidentally drop pad or underwear on the floor 🤢, or wet hair dripping on it etc.
Or if you wait to go to the washroom after shower, start leaking on underwear or bath robe on way there...

gefilte

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 11:58 am
I remember my counselors was very involved in keeping us girls comfortable

with all bodily issues...maybe share with her your concerns.

camp life can definitely be a eye opening learning experience regarding

so many of FIRST time events..

maybe we should open a thread recounting..."what I learned in summer camp"..

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:10 pm
I totally get it op when I was in camp not too long ago it was taboo, at least for the younger years. Can’t remember when we were staff…
This is what I did- first of all, whenever I thought I would need one, I would stick it in my underwear (still in its wrapper). In front of it. Kind of like the waistband area. That way I could ‘carry’ it. I will say that when I was younger I felt the need to change it so often as soon as it got dirty, maybe explain to your daughter that she doesn’t need to do it every hour and by that time she can run back to the bunkhouse.
As for the bathroom, I had a black plastic bags with pads laying in one of the bathrooms tucked behind the toilet or even on top of the toilet. No one knew it was I casually left it there one day. That’s the bathroom I would use every day. If someone opened it up curiously I never knew…
If she doesn’t want to do that she can have an unobtrusive bag on her shelf next to her bed and when she wakes up in the morn causally bring it under her blanket and take one out and tuck it into her waistband etc.
I definitely wouldn’t say something to the counselors as it would be embarrassing for her.

gefilte

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:31 pm
"""I definitely wouldn’t say something to the counselors as it would be embarrassing for her.[/quote]"""

One of my counselors made us feel so comfortable by announcing that certain "things" will

happen that will surprise/embarrasses/ confuse/enlighten us regarding ourselves and our bodies.

That was my best summer ever..where I became introduced to things that helped shape the

rest of my life in a healthy way...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children