Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Period Pain
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:54 pm
Any tips and advice to help my 18 year old with really painful & unbearable period (stomach) pain.
What helped you the most?

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 5:57 pm
Lying on my stomach and watching TV? Lol maybe that doesn't help

Some people swear by Tylenol or Midol, or a hot water bag.

Genius

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 6:59 pm
Advil helps

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:13 pm
I have PCOS and spent many periods laying on a heating pad during class.

Pamperin is my favorite - they make a caffeinated and drowsy one.

I highly recommend 3 Advil 1-2 does nothing

Pilates or yoga made a difference too.

The other thing was finally going on birth control helped minimize my pain. But that was only once I started shidduch dating

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:20 pm
My doctor used to say take Motrin around the clock starting the day before you expect your period. I actually had prescription strength Motrin. I used to curl around a heating pad and a pillow and miss a day of school.

After having 3 kids, I can say that sometimes they were as bad as contractions. Hugs to her. It's absolutely miserable.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:27 pm
My doctor told me to take aleve from when the first cramps start, before I even see blood. 2 for the first dose and then 1 every 12 hrs.
Taking the medicine before my body was in extreme pain was really game changing, bh

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:28 pm
Maybe go check it out at a gynecologist.
A run-of-the-mill period should not be very painful. Uncomfortable, yes. Painful, no. She may have endometriosis.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:29 pm
A warm bath, sometimes tea.
If it's really really bad maybe see a doctor about it?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:

The other thing was finally going on birth control helped minimize my pain. But that was only once I started shidduch dating

Everyone should ask their doctor about this one. That's more than the label recommends - I've been told by my doctor to take 3 sometimes, but the risk might be higher for some individuals.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:14 pm
magnesium, DIM, low carb diet

hcrbg

Post Sun, Jul 18 2021, 8:29 pm
I’ve always had extreme pain when I was single during my period. I remember being younger and out of Advil I had to go to secretary at school for Advil. Some people just get it really bad and nothing is wrong. I would ask what type of pads she uses since I switched it made a huge difference to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:35 am
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:

Which Pilates or yoga exercise helped you the most? Because I checked already online and there are so many different ones

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 12:38 am
hcrbg wrote:
I’ve always had extreme pain when I was single during my period. I remember being younger and out of Advil I had to go to secretary at school for Advil. Some people just get it really bad and nothing is wrong. I would ask what type of pads she uses since I switched it made a huge difference to me.

Disposable "always"

hcrbg

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:48 am
"]Disposable "always"

Those are the worst. I came to Realize after I gave birth to my first that I was allergic to it as there are very processed and it is not synthetic. Try hypoallergenic ones. I use organyc I buy them in bulk in Walmart. They are hard to find but so worth it. Try it not only helped with the pain but also the length. And heaviness.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 3:50 am
Visit to the gyn.
Tampons.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:05 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:

Tampons.

ummm assuming she's a virgin, no to tampons

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:06 am
Good quality Magnesium supplements on a daily basis. The cramping is the uterus muscle contracting. Magnesium is very effective in relaxing muscles. It can also give relief once the cramps hit.

You can also add Calcium, vitamin D, and Omega (from fish oil or vegetarian).

Please please do not overload her liver and stomach with these huge amounts of Tylenol/Advil before you try these supplements. Do some research, there’s a lot of clinical evidence on vitamins/supplements helping.

It helped many people that I recommended to try it. Even if they only take magnesium, the difference is astounding.

nursemom1

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 4:09 am
If nothing else works then please suggest birth control. I had debilitatingly painful periods for years and I really suffered. Taking Aleve even before my period started helped a bit, and so did a heating pad, but it was still a horrific experience. And no, I don’t have any other gynecological issues besides this. I am still so upset that my doctor never suggested I try birth control because it is the only thing I know of that really works. I had to wait until I was married and using birth control for other reasons to discover this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:08 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
ummm assuming she's a virgin, no to tampons
Using a tampn will not make her loose her virginity. Many non married females or non sexu@lly active females use tampons.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:19 am
My DD has PCOS, and used to have horrible periods. She would miss 2 days of school every cycle, and just curl up and cry.

She recently got diagnosed with Celiac. When she went 100% gluten free, her body became completely normal. Light periods, hardly any cramping, smooth skin, no mood swings, and her weight normalized. She got off of hormonal birth control, and doesn't need any pain meds at all.

I'm not saying that everyone who gets cramps has Celiac or gluten intolerance. Still, it's worth it to try going completely gluten free for a couple of months, and see how your body reacts. If there's an improvement, now you know that it's a fairly easy thing to fix. Just Google "kosher keto recipes" and you're all set. There's a lot of Facebook groups out there for kosher recipes and support.

PM Andrea Levy for more info on keto. She's the expert here.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics