Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why do Chassidishe ladies wear
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:57 pm
I know some ladies in Williamsburg who wear it. They want to be super ultra tznius. Are they bothering anyone?

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:58 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
My gosh every time I see them I literaly sweat buckets for them.
I wonder if this is a thing to be admired as an extra chumra. The halachos and chumros were not created for us to hurt ourselves with. These ladies are clearly suffering

I'm a hot person by nature and when I saw this woman I'm like I'm hoooot. Hot for you.
I wish I could ask her. Why? But I wouldn't

Pls don't turn this lame thread into a bashing one. We just finished Tisha bav.

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:59 pm
nchr wrote:
While some individuals do, it is not a standard clothing item for mainstream chassidishe women.

Was it raining? Did you see someone in a raincoat to protect them from getting wet? I would put on a regular raincoat if it was pouring rain and I was outside because I don't find a me'il to be practical.

Nope. No rain on the horizon

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 7:59 pm
Stars wrote:
I know some ladies in Williamsburg who wear it. They want to be super ultra tznius. Are they bothering anyone?

Not at all. Just asking thats all

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:01 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
Nope. No rain on the horizon

OK, so if no rain, it's so there is no shape visible. Not many women wear this, it's not mainstream, but some of these women are very nice just like all over.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:03 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
I'm a hot person by nature and when I saw this woman I'm like I'm hoooot. Hot for you.
I wish I could ask her. Why? But I wouldn't

Pls don't turn this lame thread into a bashing one. We just finished Tisha bav.

I've posted about this before. One of my good friends is a shal lady, and she is really special. I love her to pieces. It's so interesting, that I've never seen a single drop of sweat on her forehead, when I can barely handle wearing a single layer. I think that Hashem gave her a metabolism that allows her to take on what she wants to, and Hashem knows that this is not my derech.

I don't think I'll ever take on a shal, but I admire how classy and elegant she always looks. As soon as I can afford it, I want her to take me shopping where she gets her outfits. She has the most gorgeous long skirts with matching vests, and pretty blouses underneath. It's almost Victorian looking.

Ima Piano

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've posted about this before. One of my good friends is a shal lady, and she is really special. I love her to pieces. It's so interesting, that I've never seen a single drop of sweat on her forehead, when I can barely handle wearing a single layer. I think that Hashem gave her a metabolism that allows her to take on what she wants to, and Hashem knows that this is not my derech.

I don't think I'll ever take on a shal, but I admire how classy and elegant she always looks. As soon as I can afford it, I want her to take me shopping where she gets her outfits. She has the most gorgeous long skirts with matching vests, and pretty blouses underneath. It's almost Victorian looking.

Sorry, a shal meaning a burka?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:13 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
Sorry, a shal meaning a burka?

My friend is part of an offshoot of mainstream Breslov. She used to wear a burka, but her son said it embarrassed him when she came to pick him up from school, so she took it off. Her children come before her chumras.

She also doesn't expect her daughters to wear the shal unless they want to, and their husbands agree to it. Shalom bayis comes before chumras, too.

A shal is basically like a nice, oval piece of fabric that goes over the head, and is open down the front sometimes. It's sort of like a cross between a poncho, a shawl, and a ruana.

It's purpose is to hide the gap between your arms and your sides, so that the outline of your upper body can't be seen. I've seen them in lace, and even with a soft fringe around the edges. It's usually black or navy blue, sometimes dark gray.

If you look at very old pictures of women at the Kotel, they are all wearing shals, so it's not a new, made up thing.

realsilver

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My friend is part of an offshoot of mainstream Breslov. She used to wear a burka, but her son said it embarrassed him when she came to pick him up from school, so she took it off. Her children come before her chumras.

She also doesn't expect her daughters to wear the shal unless they want to, and their husbands agree to it. Shalom bayis comes before chumras, too.

A shal is basically like a nice, oval piece of fabric that goes over the head, and is open down the front sometimes. It's sort of like a cross between a poncho, a shawl, and a ruana.

It's purpose is to hide the gap between your arms and your sides, so that the outline of your upper body can't be seen. I've seen them in lace, and even with a soft fringe around the edges. It's usually black or navy blue, sometimes dark gray.

If you look at very old pictures of women at the Kotel, they are all wearing shals, so it's not a new, made up thing.

Your right, this is alot better and more parve than colorblocked tops.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:18 pm
Also to clarify, I don't know what and who the op saw, but summer coats aren't generally part of a cult like the burkas. It's just not a mainstream practice and is an extreme tznius chumra, but they can take off the coat when by a chasuna or at home or when teaching so it's different than the burka with a random leader in Israel or Helbranz, if that makes sense.

BokerTov

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:19 pm
realsilver wrote:

LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:20 pm
realsilver wrote:

LOL, fair enough!

The thing is, at least where I am, you rarely see a shal lady. What you do see is a sea of color blocked tops, and not much else. If someone is not wearing color blocks, they really stand out.

Maybe I'm just old. Color block clothing was huge in the 80's. BTDT. They say that if you're old enough to remember a trend, then you're too old to wear it the second time around. Wink

BokerTov

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:21 pm
I’ve seen a select few ladies like that.
Definitely wouldn’t lump them together with mainstream chassidish.
I’d lump them with shall ladies who believe the more they’re covered the less attention they attract and the more schar they get.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL, fair enough!

The thing is, at least where I am, you rarely see a shal lady. What you do see is a sea of color blocked tops, and not much else. If someone is not wearing color blocks, they really stand out.

Wouldn't this mean it is in style?
I don't buy new clothing that often. I still wear most of my shtefir, and others do the same I think. Not sure I have much color block though but I'm not in Israel.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:27 pm
BokerTov wrote:
I’ve seen a select few ladies like that.
Definitely wouldn’t lump them together with mainstream chassidish.
I’d lump them with shall ladies who believe the more they’re covered the less attention they attract and the more schar they get.

I pointed out to my friend that the way she dresses attracts a lot of attention because it's so different. She said "Yes, that's true, but it's not zexual attention." I guess she has a point.

Not my derech, but she's not putting anyone down, and she's not hurting anyone. She's never once in the years I've known her, made me feel like I was less than, or on a lower level. Too bad more people can't be like that.

realsilver

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:27 pm
nchr wrote:
Wouldn't this mean it is in style?
I don't buy new clothing that often. I still wear most of my shtefir, and others do the same I think. Not sure I have much color block though but I'm not in Israel.

Im pretty sure it is in style!

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:52 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
My gosh every time I see them I literaly sweat buckets for them.
I wonder if this is a thing to be admired as an extra chumra. The halachos and chumros were not created for us to hurt ourselves with. These ladies are clearly suffering

Like the story about cutting off the end of the roast, not everything people do is a Chumrah. A chumrah is a more stringent but nevertheless legitimate practice with a demonstrable halachic basis. Some things are just plain mishegoss or minhag shtus, and the fact that ultra-Orthodox people are doing them doesn’t make them any less of a mishegoss. So, no, it’s not admirable. It’s misguided at best, mental illness at worst.

Would you say that the Essenes were admirable because they would not “defile” Shabbat by eliminating body wastes on that day, nor would they “defile” themselves through marital relations so they remained celibate? They thought they were the ultimate in holiness.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:53 pm
I’ve seen the “trench coats.” I admire that level of tznius but it would not be appropriate for me. As it is, I wear longer skirts and more conservative tops than is typical in my community.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 8:58 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....1/amp

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:07 pm
Also, what does “color blocked” mean?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics