Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why do Chassidishe ladies wear
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

scruffy

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:28 pm
zaq wrote:
Like the story about cutting off the end of the roast, not everything people do is a Chumrah. A chumrah is a more stringent but nevertheless legitimate practice with a demonstrable halachic basis. Some things are just plain mishegoss or minhag shtus, and the fact that ultra-Orthodox people are doing them doesn’t make them any less of a mishegoss. So, no, it’s not admirable. It’s misguided at best, mental illness at worst.

Would you say that the Essenes were admirable because they would not “defile” Shabbat by eliminating body wastes on that day, nor would they “defile” themselves through marital relations so they remained celibate? They thought they were the ultimate in holiness.

I was curious and googled this.

Thank you zaq for expanding my knowledge as you often do Smile

4everdiet

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:32 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I want to know why they wear black skirts and color blocked tops. Usually the blocks of color run in a very unflattering direction, that makes you look bigger than you actually are. Color blocking is 5 years out of fashion in the rest of the world.

When I'm on the bus and I'm bored, when going through the Chassidish neighborhoods, I try to count how many color blocked outfits I see. I usually lose track. I'd say at least 8 out of every 10 outfits.

Is this for real?

honeymoon

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 9:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL, fair enough!

The thing is, at least where I am, you rarely see a shal lady. What you do see is a sea of color blocked tops, and not much else. If someone is not wearing color blocks, they really stand out.

Maybe I'm just old. Color block clothing was huge in the 80's. BTDT. They say that if you're old enough to remember a trend, then you're too old to wear it the second time around. Wink

What is wrong with color blocked tops? Do I look 1980's if I wear one? I am not the most fashion savvy chassidishe woman around, but I don't live under a rock. My life must be one big mistake.

lkwdmom2

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill

You think everyone mocks chassidim, no matter what they say. If I say it's raining outside, you'll get offended. It's not a good look on you.

I thought this was a thread about why "certain groups" wear X type of clothing. I get really bored on the bus. I can't read tehillim because I get motion sickness - therefore I look out the window.

I just happen to think that color blocked clothing is a very unflattering trend, and I don't see the attraction in it. Maybe they wear it because it's unflattering, who knows? What

Would you like to discuss why I wear ankle length denim skirts and flowered tops? We can discuss D/L fashion choices, and I promise I won't accuse you of attacking me.

What is wrong with color blocked tops? I’m in Lakewood and everyone is wearing color block or ribbed tops with some color on sleeves. It’s very in style. I hate to tell you but long denim skirts and flowered tops are out of style. I haven’t seen flowered tops in a few years. Should I count how many people don’t worry flowered tops? I don’t understand u count how many people wear color block and think it’s unflattering??! I can’t believe this

jkl

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 10:07 pm
lkwdmom2 wrote:
What is wrong with color blocked tops? I’m in Lakewood and everyone is wearing color block or ribbed tops with some color on sleeves. It’s very in style. I hate to tell you but long denim skirts and flowered tops are out of style. I haven’t seen flowered tops in a few years. Should I count how many people don’t worry flowered tops? I don’t understand u count how many people wear color block and think it’s unflattering??! I can’t believe this

Floral prints are all the rage this year. Color blocked tops were in the last few years and are on their last legs.

Some local Jewish areas are always a bit late with the fashion styles. Their latest styles are what was the latest fashion in the previous year or two.

naomi6

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:37 am
I don't wear a raincoat in the summer but women wearing wigs down to the waist fitted tee shirts and trendy long skirts or short skirts better the raincoat. I know there's an in between but more women go around trendy then the other way

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:24 am
M
Quote:
aybe I'm just old. Color block clothing was huge in the 80's. BTDT. They say that if you're old enough to remember a trend, then you're too old to wear it the second time around. Wink

I've actually never heard anyone say this, and I think you are the only one who quotes it here.

To go back to the colorblocks, a fair amount of those women probably weren't around in the eighties. And if they were, why do they have to submit to this arbitrary rule that they aren't allowed to wear it again? What if they like it?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 6:47 am
finallyamommy wrote:
Also, what does “color blocked” mean?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073.....psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....psc=1

It's just my opinion! If you can complain about lace top sheitels, or wearing snoods in public, I can have my say, too. There's no law that says you have to agree with me.

My complaint about color blocking is shallow and silly. To my eyes, the diagonal chunks of color divide your body in a way that makes you look heavier and wider than you are. It's not slimming. But hey, if that's what you kids are wearing these days, more power to you.

The fashion police are not going to come and pry your color blocks out of your cold, dead, hands. I was just wondering why this was a "thing". Last year in Israel, everything was sequins and fur trim and pompoms. Puke

I just don't get frum fashion, I guess. Maybe I'm the one who's out of style. It's OK, I can live with that. I'm wearing a 10 year old tie-dyed dress right now, but that's for just around the house. You can have your frummy clothes, if I can have my hippy clothes. As long as all the important parts are covered, it's all good. (I would be perfectly accepted in Tzfat. Wink )

abound

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:02 am
deleted

Last edited by abound on Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:19 am
abound wrote:

This should have been said in private.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Jul 20 2021, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:35 am
Deleted

I don't want to fight with anybody. I thought we were talking about clothes and stuff. I didn't realize things would get so heated.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

abound

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:37 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
This should have been said in private.

you are right, I am sorry, please delete the post I think she is a great person and do not want this to derail

abound

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:38 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wow. Way to misunderstand every single word I wrote. I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

I am glad I misunderstood, please delete my post when you quoted, I should not have posted

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:47 am
abound wrote:
I am glad I misunderstood, please delete my post when you quoted, I should not have posted

Deleted

I don't want to fight with anybody. I thought we were talking about clothes and stuff. I didn't realize things would get so heated.

Are we OK now?

abound

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Deleted

Are we OK now?

Sure are!
Have a great day!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 7:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TWSG1Q?tag=picclick0f-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....psc=1

It's just my opinion! If you can complain about lace top sheitels, or wearing snoods in public, I can have my say, too. There's no law that says you have to agree with me.

My complaint about color blocking is shallow and silly. To my eyes, the diagonal chunks of color divide your body in a way that makes you look heavier and wider than you are. It's not slimming. But hey, if that's what you kids are wearing these days, more power to you.

The fashion police are not going to come and pry your color blocks out of your cold, dead, hands. I was just wondering why this was a "thing". Last year in Israel, everything was sequins and fur trim and pompoms. Puke

I just don't get frum fashion, I guess. Maybe I'm the one who's out of style. It's OK, I can live with that. I'm wearing a 10 year old tie-dyed dress right now, but that's for just around the house. You can have your frummy clothes, if I can have my hippy clothes. As long as all the important parts are covered, it's all good. (I would be perfectly accepted in Tzfat. Wink )

Very Happy I just bought my daughter colorblock shirt that is very complimentary on her, even slimming.
We are not chassidish.

acemom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:44 am
I know it's off the original topic, but wouldn't having lots of people in a specific community/area wearing a certain style, color, design etc. Make it "fashionable" and "stylish" for them?

Frum fashion cannot totally mirror "Paris" fashion for so many reasons. Trends cycle in frum areas differently than in secular ones.

Just my two cents.

Carry on.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 2:54 pm
Well, I have certainly learned my lesson. I will never post about anyone's fashion choices, ever again. Especially about "the communities that must not be named."

Sometimes you don't realize where the thin ice is, until you step on it. ❄

smile18

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 3:10 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Well, I have certainly learned my lesson. I will never post about anyone's fashion choices, ever again. Especially about "the communities that must not be named."

Sometimes you don't realize where the thin ice is, until you step on it. ❄

Glad this post was already reported

pknt

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 1:15 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I pointed out to my friend that the way she dresses attracts a lot of attention because it's so different. She said "Yes, that's true, but it's not zexual attention." I guess she has a point.

Not my derech, but she's not putting anyone down, and she's not hurting anyone. She's never once in the years I've known her, made me feel like I was less than, or on a lower level. Too bad more people can't be like that.

The bolded is a good point! I'll use this statement in the future when students (love to) argue about similar ideas.

Your friend seems like an amazing person!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics