Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Expired passport - dual citizen

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:05 pm
What happens if a dual American/Israeli citizen wants to enter Israel with an American passport and expired Israeli passport, especially now, when renewals are so difficult?

feigeleh

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:09 pm
Technically it’s ok to do that. Bring the expired one too. They will tell you off that it’s expired but they should have to let you in. Better if you try to get an appointment in israel to renew the passport while there if you’re there for long enough. And show them you have an appointment when they tell you off and that you’re working on it.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:10 pm
Don’t know about now but in the past they have yelled at me about it and threatened that I wouldn’t be able to leave if I don’t renew while I was in Israel. Never tested to see if that was true though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
Don’t know about now but in the past they have yelled at me about it and threatened that I wouldn’t be able to leave if I don’t renew while I was in Israel. Never tested to see if that was true though.

Meaning you renewed before you left?

This happened to me, too.

I'm wondering if they are as strict now (because Covid makes offices etc more complicated) or even stricter because of Covid.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:

Similar thing happened to me except I was a minor and didn’t have an Israeli passport. They don’t me that I couldn’t leave the country without getting one. So I did.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 2:21 am
Make an appointment for the day after you arrive. Renewing an Israeli passport within Israel is not very difficult.
You need an appointment as misrad hapnim, fill out the form online before you go and pay online as well.

ilic

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:30 am
We had this with 1 dd, a minor, a couple of years ago. We checked before we traveled and were told that as long as she has one current passport it's fine. At the airport on the way out of Israel, the woman at passport control told us it's a problem and dd cant travel even though her other passport was valid. After much back and forth the manager was called and she confirmed that it was fine for dd to travel with her other passport, although not before giving us a lecture about renewing her israeli passport.
Long story short it's fine but expect them to make a fuss.

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 6:04 am
essie14 wrote:
Make an appointment for the day after you arrive. Renewing an Israeli passport within Israel is not very difficult.
You need an appointment as misrad hapnim, fill out the form online before you go and pay online as well.

Uh, bidud?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 4:51 pm
essie14 wrote:

What if we're only going to be in Israel for a week? How long does it take for misrad hapnim to get you the new passport?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 5:55 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
What if we're only going to be in Israel for a week? How long does it take for misrad hapnim to get you the new passport?

You can renew an Israeli passport on the spot at the airport up to 48 hours before you flight for a fee.
Getting an appointment at misrad hapnim is a challenge (I’m told to try very early in the morning), and it takes at least a week before it will arrive. If you are going the expedited route, then better to do it at the airport on your way out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics