Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Barefoot Contessa Tzatziki

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 10:39 am
This was a very good version of Tzatziki - Ina Garten always comes through for me. Smile

I did use Greek yogurt so I didn't need to get rid of the liquid. I think this recipe dates from a tine before Greek style yogurt was widely available.

As the notes indicate this can be made well ahead of time and for best results should be left to let flavors blend anyway

TZATZIKI

Excerpt From: Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa Parties!

MAKES 5 CUPS

This appetizer is easy to assemble, although it takes a bit of planning. But oh! is it worth the wait. As part of a light summer meal it is a cool and satisfying salad; it’s also terrific with pita as a dip. It can be prepared days ahead of time.

4 cups plain yogurt, whole milk or low-fat
2 hothouse cucumbers, unpeeled and seeded
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. Grate the cucumber and toss it with 2 tablespoons salt; place it in another sieve and set it over another bowl. Place both bowls in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours so the yogurt and cucumber can drain.

Transfer the thickened yogurt to a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumbers as you can and add the cucumbers to the yogurt. Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. You can serve it immediately, but I prefer to allow the tzatziki to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend.

Good-quality, plain white paper towels can be used instead of cheesecloth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics