Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Improving Shabbos Meals

saweetie

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:20 pm
My kids are picky eaters so the food doesn’t keep them at the table. My husband is tone deaf so the zmiros are not enjoyable. How do you keep your kids engaged at the table on shabbos? I already cut it down to one course so they don’t have to wait ans wait. My dh wants to bribe them with treats but I don’t like that idea. Any helpful tips?
Side note: I grew up where we had to be given permission to leave the table, we sang, loved food. My dh grew up in a dysfunctional home with no order at the table and everyone doing their own thing.
Advice?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:25 pm
If they're picky eaters, what foods do they love? I'd focus on that. One dish for each person that they love should be on the table. Once they're sitting and happy, it's easy to start a story of the parsha, speak about the week, and have an easy-going good time.

ckk

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:26 pm
1. Tell them a story. Maybe even a very long story and you say a small part each week.
2. Have kids take turns to show off their projects and tell what they did or learned that week.
3. Even if he is tone deaf singing can still be enjoyable. Go around the table and everyone has a chance to choose a song which everyone sings together. Doesn’t have to sound like a professional choir, can just be fun.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 3:35 pm
I wouldn't try that hard. Kids should ask permission to leave the table and it should be given to them. As they get older, they will want to spend more time at the table if there are interesting discussions going on.

Boca00

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 5:37 pm
My husband and I would tell them stories from when we were little, while they ate. (Got that idea from a columnist in the Mishpacha.)

Then we ran out of stories and started True or False, where we say funny or crazy stories and they guess if they are true or false.

Now we usually read them one story from the book Treasure Chest (Little Medrash Says on Stories from Chazal). I bought the book and made a big deal about it being a special book and nobody is allowed to read it except when I read it to them.

They loved all and it's been keeping them at the table (boys ages 3-9).

Also, whoever says a Dvar Torah gets chocolate chips and they give out to people who are listening. (Could be a healthier treat.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics