Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Tipping counselors
Previous  1  2

I tip my childrens counselors...
The recommended amount  
 68%  [ 85 ]
More  
 12%  [ 15 ]
Less  
 8%  [ 11 ]
I don't tip  
 10%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 124

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 8:02 am
Chayalle wrote:

If you send to a camp that has a tipping schedule, then you knew that up front. Or if you didn't, you were lax in finding out about it. If you don't want to pay that amount (camp fee plus the tip) then send your kid elsewhere. But don't deprive the counselor of her earnings.

I totally agree with this. But if a camp is relying on this for counselor's wages, wouldn't it make more sense for the camp to make the parents pay this up front and then the camp just pays it forward to the counselor?

I feel like this system absolves the camp of wage responsibilities and leaves it to the campers and parents to sort out on a suggestion/honor basis. Let's be real, the camp would never accept this payment system for themselves because they know it's unreliable. ("Suggested camp tuition is $3,000 to be paid on the last day of camp, thanks, have fun!") This system just takes advantage of kids imo.

Anyway, sorry, this was just my slightly ot rant, yes, parents should of course still pay campers their wages.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 8:07 am
WhatFor wrote:
I totally agree with this. But if a camp is relying on this for counselor's wages, wouldn't it make more sense for the camp to make the parents pay this up front and then the camp just pays it forward to the counselor?

I feel like this system absolves the camp of wage responsibilities and leaves it to the campers and parents to sort out on a suggestion/honor basis. Let's be real, the camp would never accept this payment system for themselves because they know it's unreliable. ("Suggested camp tuition is $3,000 to be paid on the last day of camp, thanks, have fun!") This system just takes advantage of kids imo.

Anyway, sorry, this was just my slightly ot rant, yes, parents should of course still pay campers their wages.

Yeah but what would happen if they did that was, they'd up their own salaries and still pay the counselors the same amount.....

catch 22

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 8:22 am
Chayalle wrote:
Yeah but what would happen if they did that was, they'd up their own salaries and still pay the counselors the same amount.....

catch 22

I guess the fantasy in my head was that it would be listed up front, with tuition, just on a separate line as "counselor tip/JC tip". They'd be up front with the campers about that too, that this is where their wages were coming from, there would be no additional tips at the end of the summer.

Anyway, all a dream because that's obviously not happening while camps want to pretend they're cheaper at the counselors' expense.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 8:29 am
I have to say the whole system exploits the teenage workers. Many camp directors are verbally abusive to the kids and they financially take advantage of them.

My child is 15 and a JC and making about $400 for the summer. Why is she getting tipped less than the 16 year old counselor she's working with? In fact why is she getting paid less? The counselor comes late to work every day and has been absent 5 times already!!! My daughter comes early and has never been absent.

The whole system is sick. Don't get me started on the sleep away camps that exploit the kids too. My child will be a lifeguard and get paid $100. They take advantage because they know the kids want to have fun but that doesn't make it right. Being a lifeguard is a serious responsibility and they should be paid accordingly!

Anon because I wrote so much about my kids.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
I have to say the whole system exploits the teenage workers. Many camp directors are verbally abusive to the kids and they financially take advantage of them.

My child is 15 and a JC and making about $400 for the summer. Why is she getting tipped less than the 16 year old counselor she's working with? In fact why is she getting paid less? The counselor comes late to work every day and has been absent 5 times already!!! My daughter comes early and has never been absent.

The whole system is sick. Don't get me started on the sleep away camps that exploit the kids too. My child will be a lifeguard and get paid $100. They take advantage because they know the kids want to have fun but that doesn't make it right. Being a lifeguard is a serious responsibility and they should be paid accordingly!

Anon because I wrote so much about my kids.

My DD was the JC one summer in a popular Lakewood daycamp for the youngest group - going into primary. There were two counselors and a JC (DD) and 25 kids. A week into daycamp, one of the counselors quit, leaving one counselor and one JC (DD). If you think they hired another counselor or upped DD's salary to counselor, I have a bridge to sell you.

It was really hard, and when they had a trip, DD and counselor requested additional help. They were reprimanded and told they have to do their job. When they pointed out that 12 kids + per person in an amusement park is dangerous, they were grudgingly given an extra person to help them.

The next year this place had a harder time getting counselors....

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 12:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My DD was the JC one summer in a popular Lakewood daycamp for the youngest group - going into primary. There were two counselors and a JC (DD) and 25 kids. A week into daycamp, one of the counselors quit, leaving one counselor and one JC (DD). If you think they hired another counselor or upped DD's salary to counselor, I have a bridge to sell you.

It was really hard, and when they had a trip, DD and counselor requested additional help. They were reprimanded and told they have to do their job. When they pointed out that 12 kids + per person in an amusement park is dangerous, they were grudgingly given an extra person to help them.

The next year this place had a harder time getting counselors....

The verbal abuse the kids take is unreal. I don't know how the directors think it's ok to talk to the counselors like that. I'm talking about raising their voices, being sarcastic, manipulating the kids to do things they don't want to do, publicly humiliating kids etc.. I have personally witnessed and experienced this. I do not allow my children to work in those day camps.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics