Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need decorator or expert's help in judging Porcelain Tiles

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 21 2021, 11:21 pm
After seeing so many different porcelain tiles, all in reputable tile stores, and all looking pretty similar (the marble look, or the wood look), every store owner (all with good reputations) says his porcelain tiles are better than other porcelain tiles out there.

Prices per square foot range from $2 to $5 in most places.

If I dont want to rely on any store owner telling me his porcelain tiles are better and Id like to learn to judge quality myself, what can the experts here, teach me?

One told me that the heavier and thicker the porcelain tile is, the better quality, but they also said that no matter how thick or heavy a tile is, all porcelain tiles are made to outlast most humans.

What are the pros and cons of using very large tiles, like 12 X 24, or larger? Someone told me, the bigger the tile, the larger the room looks.

My dream tile would be a beigey busy marble-y tile, with a matte finish in about 12 X 24, or a herringbone pattern parquet look, with a matte finish, in porcelain.

Anything I learn here, to help decide about quality, or size, or pattern, or finish, will be appreciated.

What mistakes have you made, and what have you learned after installing a porcelain tile floor, that you would have liked to know before doing the job?

TIA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 8:13 am
bump

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 10:41 am
I'd love to hear about this as well.... Looking into flooring options now and it's confusing!!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:10 pm
It's not only the quality of the tile to consider,but also whoever is going to install the tiles..Tiles not put down perfectly, can crack. Also, the porcelain tiles from today, are not the same like years ago. They scratch & chip and are not as durable. I put in tiles recently, the new large ones that all the tile stores were recommending, and I'm so disappointed. It's beautiful,but I have to be careful that it shouldn't get chipped. It scratches very easily.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:58 pm
My sister just put down those huge porcelain tiles in her entry way and formal living room and dining room. I think I’d prefer herringbone. They are so tremendous there’s and the entry way isn’t so large there is just one very defined grout line running thru. And she went with the thinnest grout!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:49 pm
You need to find a place you can trust and then just let go. Pick out what you like, tell them what you want, and consider what they're telling you because they're experienced. That's what I did. BH it worked out.

menucha18

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 9:51 pm
Tile installer is more important than tile as someone else wrote. Also make sure you are getting a tile that takes a thin line of grout unless you don’t want that. The tile store initially did not tell me I was choosing a tile that would need a thicker grout. Also the type of tile you choose will have a big impact on how much installation will cost you. And installation is very expensive. You pay more to install a square foot that the actual tile costs per square foot. This was my experience…

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 11:12 pm
Another vote on good installation makes all the difference. The sub floor needs to be even and done right. The tiles crack if not installed well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics