Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Devora heller challah recipe- advice time sensitive

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:28 pm
Just put into the oven bli ayin hara stunning looking challot using devora heller's recipe. The recipe calls for the challah to be in the oven for 45 min. The last batch I made looked and sounded finished in 25 min. I have no idea if they are doughy inside, but had I left them in longer they would have burned. Would should I do about the batch I just put in the oven.
Has anyone had to modify their cooking time? I have an electric oven if that makes a difference.

estreya

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 1:48 pm
An average sized challah should only take approximately 25 to 30 minutes to bake at 350F/180C. If your oven isn't calibrated properly (meaning you set it for 350 but it may be higher or lower inside), it may take less or more time to bake.

Usually a good test to see if it is done, barring it not having baked at too high a temperature, is to turn it over and see if the bottom is golden and knock on it with your fist gently. It should sound hollow.

Not sure if that helps or not.

If you're uncertain it is baked enough, lower the temperature and put tin foil over them to stop them browning further.

45 minutes seems like a long time to bake.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:48 pm
So funny thing-TMI warning- "nature called" and no one else was home to take the challah out. It was in for about 45 min. The outside B"H did not burn, its just a darker golden color. But in the future I am going to stick with 30 min. Thanks for your help.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 22 2021, 4:59 pm
I do 36 minutes for medium/ large challos and 30 minutes for small.
That’s what works with my oven.
The rule is that when you tap the challah on the bottom it should feel hard and sound hollow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries