Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If your husband is in the IT field
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 11:09 am
So im just trying to figure things out. What is considered nice salary in this field? Trying to see what the potential is. My husband is in the feild for many years now and I feel like we need to somehow start making more money. He is very hardworking and dedicated. But what happens now if he is at a job where he gets a set salary thats where it will stay...cuz he's comfortable with his job?
Any job with a set salary. How does it work you just get those small raises every year and thats it no potential?
Sorry for the rant im just frustrated thinking that this is where we will be forever. He is so hardworking and dedicated but I really want him to be able to grow and make a nice income so we can be comfortable and not have to penny pinch.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 12:56 pm
Is he iworking in a corporate environment? What's his area of expertise?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:07 pm
Dh works in IT for many years and I'm very frustrated about his salary. I hope your dh does better

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Is he iworking in a corporate environment? What's his area of expertise?

He works for someone thats doing pretty well. The guy has many businesses under him. My husband is the main guy -does the most. The other 2 are pretty new.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Dh works in IT for many years and I'm very frustrated about his salary. I hope your dh does better

Thats my ? Do they always stay at the same place? The guy he's working for is doing amazing. Im trying to push him to go on his own or idk somehow grow or earn more, he's just comfortable there.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:22 pm
IT has many different areas, so I'm not sure exactly what he's doing. In general, I've found that if you work in the corporate world, then you can make more than working for a private guy, but the culture is completely different and very difficult for a frum person. There are some companies that are known for hiring frum people, so it may be easier there. A lot of IT work is done on Shabbos in these companies, so it depends what exactly in IT your DH does. If he's been doing it for a long time and is good at it, maybe he should consider branching out on his own. It may be scary at first, but the potential could be huge, depending on what he does in IT.

Another thing to consider is how a change would affect him. If he's happy now and comes home in a good mood and doesn't have headaches to deal with after hours, would he be the same person if this all changed?

Of course everything comes from Hashem, so we need to do our hishtadlus and continue praying. I hope this helps. Hatzlacha.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 1:38 pm
My dh is in low voltage - similar situation.

When working for someone they pay salary. Yes small raises. Person is always replaceable.

If go on own have potential to make much more. But lots more responsibility. You need to be the type to find and retain clients . Send bills. Figure out disputes. Pay taxes. Etc. no set salary. So if a slow month no $$$

What my dh did is get some private clients over evenings and weekends.
This way he is establishing his company. Create business legally. Getting clients. Setting his accounting. Billing. Etc. it’s extra side money but can still get his gauranteed salary.
He cleared all of this with his boss first.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:27 pm
Another thing to keep in mind is that IT is constantly changing. The industry does not like older workers who's skills may not be up to date especially if they can hire a younger guy who is willing to work for half the salary, and in the frum world there are always younger guys who are willing to work for less.

I would discourage someone from going into the field unless they find a well paying niche.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:33 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
My dh is in low voltage - similar situation.

When working for someone they pay salary. Yes small raises. Person is always replaceable.

If go on own have potential to make much more. But lots more responsibility. You need to be the type to find and retain clients . Send bills. Figure out disputes. Pay taxes. Etc. no set salary. So if a slow month no $$$

What my dh did is get some private clients over evenings and weekends.
This way he is establishing his company. Create business legally. Getting clients. Setting his accounting. Billing. Etc. it’s extra side money but can still get his gauranteed salary.
He cleared all of this with his boss first.

So thats what I keep saying just get a few private clients on the side. Hes not a go getter type so its tough. He also feels that in this feild if a client will have an issue he needs to be available and cant during the day if he has a set job. So Doesnt want to take on businesses or anything like that he can technically just do service/ private ppl- small jobs... its just tough knowing that he will be stuck with such set salary and not much more. Again its nice to know you have a steady income but expenses do grow....

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:34 pm
There's a lot of different types of IT, so it's hard to make comparisons. My dh works for a frum company which means he gets yom tov off automatically. He also can work flexible hours and work from home when needed, which is amazing when the kids are ill and home from school.
Yes, he doesn't earn as much as he could but there are other benefits that outweigh the wage increase that he might get working for one of the big companies. Also he's happy where he is, he likes the type of work he does and generally the work environment is good.
I'm a big believer in loving what you do over making millions. I would rather he came home happy than stressed. I'm not negating there has to be enough money to get by, but between my wage and his wage we make enough.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So thats what I keep saying just get a few private clients on the side. Hes not a go getter type so its tough. He also feels that in this feild if a client will have an issue he needs to be available and cant during the day if he has a set job. So Doesnt want to take on businesses or anything like that he can technically just do service/ private ppl- small jobs... its just tough knowing that he will be stuck with such set salary and not much more. Again its nice to know you have a steady income but expenses do grow....

A lot of starting your own company is being a go getter. If that isn’t his personality it’s a bad fit to go on own.
Are you a go getter? Could you create the llc. Setup the bookkeeping. Find the clients. If he gives permission. That may be a good push to get started.
But you have to be sure it is something that will make him happy.
Also remember if he is working weekends snd nights he will have very little free time. And paperwork snd bookkeeping also need to get done.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 3:22 pm
Being an IT director for a large company does well. That's what my husband does and he makes over 200k a year. But he did have to work for awhile to get the experience needed for that sort of job. You need about a decade of serious IT experience to be considered for that level.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 3:37 pm
I do IT for the government. I'm an analyst not a programmer.

My salary is around 90k plus benefits.

My potential currently is up to 115k but will take a good number of years to get there. I could earn more if I went into IT management but I don't like dealing with people. Computers are easier.

If I went corporate I'm sure I could earn a lot more but I like the job security, benefits, and flexibility.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
There's a lot of different types of IT, so it's hard to make comparisons. My dh works for a frum company which means he gets yom tov off automatically. He also can work flexible hours and work from home when needed, which is amazing when the kids are ill and home from school.
Yes, he doesn't earn as much as he could but there are other benefits that outweigh the wage increase that he might get working for one of the big companies. Also he's happy where he is, he likes the type of work he does and generally the work environment is good.
I'm a big believer in loving what you do over making millions. I would rather he came home happy than stressed. I'm not negating there has to be enough money to get by, but between my wage and his wage we make enough.

True I agree. But looking down the line. Expenses just add up how are you supposed to live in this expensive world. We bh cover all our bills, but I want to be able to vacation every so often, buy a wig/jewlery every few yrs...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
A lot of starting your own company is being a go getter. If that isn’t his personality it’s a bad fit to go on own.
Are you a go getter? Could you create the llc. Setup the bookkeeping. Find the clients. If he gives permission. That may be a good push to get started.
But you have to be sure it is something that will make him happy.
Also remember if he is working weekends snd nights he will have very little free time. And paperwork snd bookkeeping also need to get done.

So im not either to much of a go getter ;( what bothers me is my husband now is a workaholic as is. But doesnt get paid overtime.... its complicating. Officially not supposed to work sundays but he does for a few hrs...

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:42 pm
Do you work op? Maybe you can increase your income. It's much easier to change yourself than to change others.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
Do you work op? Maybe you can increase your income. It's much easier to change yourself than to change others.

I do work. Not making much. Dont love my job im to bored but theres not much options here. Not worth it for me to travel to much for a part time job.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:50 pm
My husband doesn't work in IT, but I do.
What do you consider a good salary? I am a developer for the federal government. I've been working there for 21 years. I work full time, which is 8 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Very limited overtime, but most people work "overtime" to make up for yom tov. No extra pay, but extra time earned. No real bonuses. I can't ask for a raise because the salary is on a set schedule, but there is opportunity for growth. I have a flexible job, with a good work/family balance, and pretty decent benefits.
It took time, but I make just barely over 6 figures. Does that answer your question?

blessedflower

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:54 pm
My dh works in IT. He is learning now network management. He hopes it will open the door to a nice raise

Also he works in a different city. When he comes home he works for private people. People ask him to come or bring their computers to him. He doesn't have a lot of work but he earns nicely from that

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:31 pm
As some posters said, there's developers, there's network side, there's infrastructure, also architecture, help-desk.

And if your aim is to get into management, managers (and up the line, directors, as another poster pointed out), make more.

I know dh is always on call, always checking his phone. If a system goes down on Sunday or at midnight and that's his responsibility, he might have to go in. Sometimes he was up at 2am for scheduled maintenance to systems, from home.

Shabbos and yt was never a problem as arrangements are made for others to cover for him during those times. On the plus side, it's an accepted industry for working from home some days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics