Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me help my sensory child....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 11:37 am
My 6 yr old son is sensory. I can google this, but I figured it's best to get real ideas from wise experienced women here.

If I buy kinetic sand or do play dough type of activities with my son everyday, will that help him control himself when....? I'm trying to figure out exactly how these sensory activities help.

He does get ot services approved in school during the year.

Tia.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 11:39 am
Every kid is different. Some people like sounds, other like touch, you really should meet with a proffesional.

If you don't want to I guess take your child to be exposed to different things and see what he likes and enjoys.

theoretical62

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 8:27 pm
When you say your child is sensory what do you mean by that? Can you give some more detail?

rikkik

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 9:03 pm
sand will help with tactile seeking, but what input is he really craving? is it more deep pressure, movement?

yaye

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 9:07 pm
Take him to an OT. She will help you figure out what he needs.

What has helped me is a swing set and trampoline. If you can put a swing in your house, that is amazing, I did not have that option.

There are tons of ideas you can do, but you have to figure out what he needs… is he sensory seeking or avoiding? There are so many variables and differences in a “sensory” kid

There is a great book you can read by Miriam Manela called The Parent Child Dance that describes different children and gives ideas of sensory input for each type of child.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 9:30 pm
The idea is that the behaviors you’re seeing are the kids sensory needs not being met, and if his needs are met sensory seeking behaviors will decrease. I don’t buy into the model all the way, but you can read the out of sync child for more information on spd.
Keep in mind that while therapeutic and behavioral approaches may be helpful, ultimately they will be limited. Spd is a neurological symptom, and to really address it you have to get to the root. Very often these kids have major gut issues, systemic inflammation, neurotransmitter imbalances, etc that need to be addressed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics