Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you believe the pandemic will ever end?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 4:59 pm
trixx wrote:
Did the virus mutate into the deadly delta variant... or is that variant the vaccinated body's response to the spike proteins it was infected with (which is why its all the vaccinated ppl catching it now)?

Did the Vogons create covid to kill humans before destroying earth to make room for a hyper-spatial express route.

Just as likely.

The people who are dying of covid are largely unvaccinated. Pfizer, for example, seems to be 96% effective against hospitalization from the delta variant. Nationally, 97% of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, as of July 22. See, eg, https://health.ucdavis.edu/cor......html

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:00 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Trump’s vaccine. He made sure the US helped fund it. He himself took it. And a go fund me is anecdotal at best.

And if you read her post- she had covid. Her symptoms and problems are from covid. 6 days after the second vaccine she wouldn’t have immunity.

Did you read the story? Especially this part:

"The Infectious Disease Dr considered the test results, Jummai's condition, the timeline of the administered vaccine and the onset of covid 19, realizing the vaccine might have caused the adverse reaction. But the Dr always concludes that this is just a theory which cannot be verified because they do not have testing equipment to clearly state that the vaccine has caused Jummai's devastation."

They dont have the testing to verify that the vaccine caused this bad adverse reaction but you clearly know that it wasnt the vaccine when even the doctors cant determine it. Good for you.
But you are blaming Trump so why is Biden and other democrats pushing the vaccine? Shouldnt they remove it and conduct more studies on it before they continue pushing it on people (especially if they dont approve that Trump paid for it)?

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:00 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Government and News Media is trying to stop it from ending.

Government made a huge power grab and they don't want to give back that power
to We the People.

This. Same as they did with 9/11

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:01 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Did the Vogons create covid to kill humans before destroying earth to make room for a hyper-spatial express route.

Just as likely.

The people who are dying of covid are largely unvaccinated. Pfizer, for example, seems to be 96% effective against hospitalization from the delta variant. Nationally, 97% of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, as of July 22. See, eg, https://health.ucdavis.edu/cor......html

They just wanted a setting to torture people with their poetry. And covid viruses are a cool towel pattern. 😉

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
Did you read the story? Especially this part:

"The Infectious Disease Dr considered the test results, Jummai's condition, the timeline of the administered vaccine and the onset of covid 19, realizing the vaccine might have caused the adverse reaction. But the Dr always concludes that this is just a theory which cannot be verified because they do not have testing equipment to clearly state that the vaccine has caused Jummai's devastation."

They dont have the testing to verify that the vaccine caused this bad adverse reaction but you clearly know that it wasnt the vaccine when even the doctors cant determine it. Good for you.
But you are blaming Trump so why is Biden and other democrats pushing the vaccine? Shouldnt they remove it and conduct more studies on it before they continue pushing it on people (especially if they dont approve that Trump paid for it)?

I’m lauding Trump. And I cannot figure out why this is a Democrat thing.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:04 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
They just wanted a setting to torture people with their poetry. And covid viruses are a cool towel pattern. 😉

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:07 pm

Indeed.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:28 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Government and News Media is trying to stop it from ending.

Government made a huge power grab and they don't want to give back that power
to We the People.

And exactly how is the "Government" and the "News Media" trying to stop covid from ending?

I mean, sure the wingnut press is presenting lies about the vaccine, so that low-information people don't get it and continue to be infected and die. (Note that even Fox News is presenting PSA urging vaccination. By "wingnut" I don't mean "right wing.") But eventually those people will all be infected and live. Or die.

So, please, leaving aside your normal diatribe, explain EXACTLY how the government in the US, and every country in the world, are trying to keep covid from ending.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:30 pm
A pandemic is by definition an illness that is prevalent in an entire country or all over the world. Most pandemics last a few years and eventually taper off or end, but some linger. The end of a pandemic doesn't mean the illness is eradicated from the globe. A formerly pandemic illness can decline but remain endemic (regularly found among particular people or in a certain area) in certain parts of the world.

Any communicable disease that has not been eradicated from the globe can resurge, especially if vaccination levels decline. Bubonic plague was pandemic in the 6th, 14th and 19th centuries. It is still endemic in a number of countries around the world. Polio is still endemic in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It was endemic in India some years ago, but intensive vaccination campaigns have successfully changed that. Tuberculosis is endemic worldwide, but it is more common in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.

By 1981-82, measles vaccination in the US was so successful and infection rates so low that many insurance companies stopped paying for routine pediatric immunizations and parents stopped vaccinating their children, either because they couldn't afford to or because they didn't think it was necessary. In 1989-91, a major measles outbreak sickened over 55,000 people and killed over 100, most of them children. Insurance companies learned that paying for routine immunization was cheaper than paying for hospitalization and parents learned that immunizations for diseases they themselves never had are nevertheless important.

Chances are that COVID will ultimately decline but remain endemic at least in places with low vaccination rates and possibly elsewhere as well. Widespread vaccination is the most effective way to control such diseases. Widespread meaning "everyone or almost everyone," not "a lot of people" "everyone on my block" "half the kids in my school" or "everyone except the people in my community because we have herd immunity." What you have is a herd mentality, not herd immunity. When was the last time you heard (ha!) anyone praise the intelligence of a cow or hippo?

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:48 pm
zaq wrote:
A pandemic is by definition an illness that is prevalent in an entire country or all over the world. Most pandemics last a few years and eventually taper off or end, but some linger. The end of a pandemic doesn't mean the illness is eradicated from the globe. A formerly pandemic illness can decline but remain endemic (regularly found among particular people or in a certain area) in certain parts of the world.

Any communicable disease that has not been eradicated from the globe can resurge, especially if vaccination levels decline. Bubonic plague was pandemic in the 6th, 14th and 19th centuries. It is still endemic in a number of countries around the world. Polio is still endemic in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It was endemic in India some years ago, but intensive vaccination campaigns have successfully changed that. Tuberculosis is endemic worldwide, but it is more common in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.

By 1981-82, measles vaccination in the US was so successful and infection rates so low that many insurance companies stopped paying for routine pediatric immunizations and parents stopped vaccinating their children, either because they couldn't afford to or because they didn't think it was necessary. In 1989-91, a major measles outbreak sickened over 55,000 people and killed over 100, most of them children. Insurance companies learned that paying for routine immunization was cheaper than paying for hospitalization and parents learned that immunizations for diseases they themselves never had are nevertheless important.

Chances are that COVID will ultimately decline but remain endemic at least in places with low vaccination rates and possibly elsewhere as well. Widespread vaccination is the most effective way to control such diseases. Widespread meaning "everyone or almost everyone," not "a lot of people" "everyone on my block" "half the kids in my school" or "everyone except the people in my community because we have herd immunity." What you have is a herd mentality, not herd immunity. When was the last time you heard (ha!) anyone praise the intelligence of a cow or hippo?

I am not sure who you are calling a hippo or a cow but it would be an ad hominem attack regardless.
But will point out that Iceland is apparently 71% vaccinated yet 82% of new cases are among the vaccinated so clearly vaccines (or at least the vaccines that are currently on the market) are not the answer.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 5:49 pm
Yes, when the virus eventually mutates to become very contagious and less harmful. That is what corona viruses do, they are motivated to find hosts, so they become less lethal so there will still be hosts left to infect. This takes between 2 and 3 years. Eventually Covid will become like the flu, uncomfortable but only lethal to the very young, old, or immune compromised. The vaccine will be available every winter, like the flu shot.

BUT, we are not there yet, and this winter will be the clim@x/worst part of the pandemic. Please plan to protect your unvaccinated vulnerable family members this winter!! This is basic science, NOT a conspiracy or political agenda against you or the Jewish people. Please mask your unvaccinated family members with good quality, filtering masks!!!!!!

Mommy

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 6:15 pm
I’m hoping Mashiach will come before the pandemic ends…

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 6:40 pm
Poorly worded wish. Mashiach may come in another 400 years. Or another 1000. Better say "I hope Mashiach comes before anyone else gets COVID."

fleetwood

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 6:51 pm
I am not sure who you are calling a hippo or a cow but it would be an ad hominem attack regardless.
But will point out that Iceland is apparently 71% vaccinated yet 82% of new cases are among the vaccinated so clearly vaccines (or at least the vaccines that are currently on the market) are not the answer.

No,that's incorrect. If majority of people are vaccinated then the majority of cases are vaxxed. If there are ten people in the city. 9 are vaxxed. Chances are,the new cases are vaxxed. This makes sense. A better indication is the number of cases,not the percentage.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 6:57 pm

Care to share your source for these data? Even if the data you present are correct, it is entirely possible that Iceland's exceptionally homogeneous population shares an anomalous genetic or other factor that makes them resistant to the vaccine.

However, most of us are not of Icelandic descent or living in Iceland (where, BTW, they are also administering, among others, the Covashield vaccine which has not been approved).

In the US, the vast majority of new cases are in unvaccinated individuals. For example: https://scdhec.gov/news-releas.....nated and https://healthfeedback.org/cla.....ates/ and https://www.umassmed.edu/news/.....ated/ and https://apnews.com/article/cor.....5e187 and https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16.....nated

trixx

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 7:30 pm

Just as likely.

No, they have received 1 dose or are before 14 days of the second dose. ie have the vaccine inside of them. The entirely unjabbed are not getting delta.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 7:43 pm
trixx wrote:
No, they have received 1 dose or are before 14 days of the second dose. ie have the vaccine inside of them. The entirely unjabbed are not getting delta.

Do you have a source for that? Delta spread through India where very few people got vaccinated?

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 7:44 pm
fleetwood wrote:
No,that's incorrect. If majority of people are vaccinated then the majority of cases are vaxxed. .

The majority of people can be vaxed and the majority of cases may still be among the unvaxed. It all depends on a. the proportion of vaxed to unvaxed and b. the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Let's say we have a town of 100 souls, 60 vaxed, 40 not vaxed. If the vaccine is only 80 % effective, and the virus 100% "effective" we would expect 8 vaxed people to get sick and 40 unvaxed people to get sick. The majority of cases would be unvaxed people, which is what we are now seeing in the US. However, because some people have a stronger or weaker immune system, iow the virus isn't going to be 100% "effective," we would expect the actual numbers of cases to be somewhat lower among both populations.

Now let's suppose we have a town of 100 souls, 90 vaxed, 10 not. With a vaccine only 80% effective, we'd expect 18 cases among vaxed people and 10 among the unvaxed. Not because the unvaxed people are safer, but because there are so few unvaxed people around. The effectiveness of the vaccine has not changed; what has changed is the proportion of vaxed to unvaxed people.

FTR, Pfizer is 95% effective; Moderna 86%; and J&J 72% so the numbers of cases in vaxed individuals in the US would be lower than in the examples above.

The Delta variant is a maverick in that it is infecting vaccinated individuals. However, what also factors into the equation is that even if a vaccine does not prevent infection in all cases--indeed, no vaccine is ever 100% effective--it reduces the severity of the infection and, with it, the mortality rate.

From https://www.medscape.com/viewa.....#vp_2

In the United States, which has experienced more COVID-19 cases and deaths than any other country, the Delta variant represents about 83% of new infections. So far, unvaccinated people represent nearly 97% of severe cases.

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious diseases doctor at the University of California, San Francisco, said many vaccinated people are "so disappointed" that they are not 100% protected from mild infections. But the fact that nearly all Americans hospitalized with COVID-19 right now are unvaccinated "is pretty astounding effectiveness," she said.
.......................................................................................................................................

"When the vaccines were first developed, nobody was thinking that they were going to prevent infection," said Carlos del Rio, a professor of medicine and infectious disease epidemiology at Emory University in Atlanta. The aim was always to prevent severe disease and death, del Rio added.

Most COVID deaths in the US are now among the unvaxed because vaxed individuals, even if they get sick, aren't dying. And that's really the bottom line: saving lives.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 8:40 pm

Just as likely.

And this is what we call.....Lying with statistics.

Unvaccinated people comprise 97% of hospitalizations counting FROM JANUARY. Check your source at the CDC, it's not a secret.

Everyone see the problem here?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jul 27 2021, 8:44 pm
To respond to the OP, not before the 2022 midterms.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics