Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Comparative Monsey schools to Bnos Chaya of BP
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
Sanz is neutral but they don't allow driving.

Oh right.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:37 pm
Sanz is neutral but they don't allow driving.

Correct. That's why it wasn't really an option for me. Besides for the fact that I cannot fathom being tied down to car service, I also don't understand how its more tznius/mehudar for a woman to get into a car with a 'fremda' often non Jewish man but not drive herself where she can control the language, music, attire, and everything else going on in her car. The whole ides of women not driving stems from the time when driving meant riding horses, something that wasn't considered refined for a bas yisroel. We've come a long way since horses and the same way shidduchim aren't done without the consent of the people marrying as was practice 100+ years ago, driving should also be revisited. Furthermore, I would have to commute to work so again, utilizing car service when I am capable of getting to places on my own is silly at best and baal tashchis of both time and money at worst.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct. That's why it wasn't really an option for me. Besides for the fact that I cannot fathom being tied down to car service, I also don't understand how its more tznius/mehudar for a woman to get into a car with a 'fremda' often non Jewish man but not drive herself where she can control the language, music, attire, and everything else going on in her car. The whole ides of women not driving stems from the time when driving meant riding horses, something that wasn't considered refined for a bas yisroel. We've come a long way since horses and the same way shidduchim aren't done without the consent of the people marrying as was practice 100+ years ago, driving should also be revisited. Furthermore, I would have to commute to work so again, utilizing car service when I am capable of getting to places on my own is silly at best and baal tashchis of both time and money at worst.
Tell all of this to the judge! Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Munkatch

So far it seems to me that Munkatch is a smidgen more refined and right wing than bdy, making it a better fit over bdy. I still do wish that kesser had 2 grades higher than they do because that would be perfect. Oh well. Inguess I need to recognize that I'm not going to get what I have now in Monsey and if I want a bigger house, grass, overall better quality of life there are some sacrifices on my end that will need to be made. Sad

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know. The no driving rule is basically the only rule that makes me really upset. There's no point or reason for it. It's maddening. I'm planning to try to get permission from the school.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So far it seems to me that Munkatch is a smidgen more refined and right wing than bdy, making it a better fit over bdy. I still do wish that kesser had 2 grades higher than they do because that would be perfect. Oh well. Inguess I need to recognize that I'm not going to get what I have now in Monsey and if I want a bigger house, grass, overall better quality of life there are some sacrifices on my end that will need to be made. Sad

Monsey is really lacking in regular neutral middle of the way Boro Parky schools. But there isn't much of a Boro Park crowd in Monsey, they go to Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:45 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Tell all of this to the judge! Smile

Lol I have expressed this frustration almost daily sometimes to the Ultimate Judge for He knows how seriously I take the task of being mechanech my children in line with my mesorah etc. This is the unfortunate part of galus where the judgment of those in charge of systemic institutions we need (like schools) is clouded by things that really have nothing to do with yiddishkeit but are just another way they get to retain control to ensure that yiddishe mamas get the max level of tzar gidul bonim. And while I firmly believe that these people will have to face their own judgment day in the highest of courts one day, I cannot sit and mope and need to do what's best for me and my children in the given circumstances.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:45 pm
I know. The no driving rule is basically the only rule that makes me really upset. There's no point or reason for it. It's maddening. I'm planning to try to get permission from the school.

Which school? Sanz?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:47 pm
The bottom line is you will not be as happy with the school as you were in BP. We hear this across the board from BP oilim. The vast majority do go to Lakewood. Those who do end up in monsey know that they sacrifice a good school where they fit in perfectly for the large house and grass...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
The bottom line is you will not be as happy with the school as you were in BP. We hear this across the board from BP oilim. The vast majority do go to Lakewood. Those who do end up in monsey know that they sacrifice a good school where they fit in perfectly for the large house and grass...

So I'm hearing. Lakewood is out for so many reasons as I listed before. Hey, maybe one day I'll open a school in Monsey! Kidding, I'd never be able to shoulder the burden of telling someone no, even if in my head I know I'd want my school to look a certain way. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my kids into schools twice and it's hartzrasinish (sorry, no English word encapsulates the feeling quite that well) that I don't wish onto anyone.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which school? Sanz?

Yes. I don't have my hopes up though. I expect to get a flat no. First let's see if I even have the guts to ask.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I'm hearing. Lakewood is out for so many reasons as I listed before. Hey, maybe one day I'll open a school in Monsey! Kidding, I'd never be able to shoulder the burden of telling someone no, even if in my head I know I'd want my school to look a certain way. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my kids into schools twice and it's hartzrasinish (sorry, no English word encapsulates the feeling quite that well) that I don't wish onto anyone.

Good luck being accepted in monsey. I think munkatch and bdy don’t give a hard time.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol I have expressed this frustration almost daily sometimes to the Ultimate Judge for He knows how seriously I take the task of being mechanech my children in line with my mesorah etc. This is the unfortunate part of galus where the judgment of those in charge of systemic institutions we need (like schools) is clouded by things that really have nothing to do with yiddishkeit but are just another way they get to retain control to ensure that yiddishe mamas get the max level of tzar gidul bonim. And while I firmly believe that these people will have to face their own judgment day in the highest of courts one day, I cannot sit and mope and need to do what's best for me and my children in the given circumstances.
Wow! I'm so impressed with your attitude! Way to go girl! Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 12:59 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Wow! I'm so impressed with your attitude! Way to go girl! Smile

I try my hardest, it isn't always easy.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:56 pm
Hi, I am looking for a chasidisha girls school in Monsey that is similar to the way Tomer Devorah in Boro Park used to be. I’ve heard that Bais Rochel is similar but impossible to get into and that KBY only has younger grades. (I need 1st through 8th elementary and a high school too). I heard that if BSM is too Chasidish and BDY is not Chasidish enough, I should try Munkatch. I know it’s a new school but I am wondering if anyone can tell me how they compare to BDY? Do the families that send there dress tzniusdik? (I know that there are different views on what tznius is, so please give specific examples of how they dress). Do they listen to goyisha music and watch movies? If yes do they discuss those singers and actresses in school?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 1:56 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a chasidisha girls school in Monsey that is similar to the way Tomer Devorah in Boro Park used to be. I’ve heard that Bais Rochel is similar but impossible to get into and that KBY only has younger grades. (I need 1st through 8th elementary and a high school too). I heard that if BSM is too Chasidish and BDY is not Chasidish enough, I should try Munkatch. I know it’s a new school but I am wondering if anyone can tell me how they compare to BDY? Do the families that send there dress tzniusdik? (I know that there are different views on what tznius is, so please give specific examples of how they dress). Do they listen to goyisha music and watch movies? If yes do they discuss those singers and actresses in school?

Why do you think bsm is too chassidish?

guest2

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:03 pm
Bsm is very old monsey and not too chassidish if something they have litvish touch like havhara

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:07 pm
Monsey is really lacking in regular neutral middle of the way Boro Parky schools. But there isn't much of a Boro Park crowd in Monsey, they go to Lakewood.

So is boro park!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
So is boro park!

I have found bnos chaya to be very middle of the road. There are rules, but they don't drive parents crazy with things like driving, black tights, sheitel must be shorter than shoulder length etc. Munkatch here in bp does not have a good name, it has a name for people that like to call themselves chassidish but don't want any rules/dress codes. That's what my fear is, if Monsey munkatch looks like bp munkatch then it's really not for me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 28 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:

Thanks for moving these questions to this thread! I also want to know about everything you asked here.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics