Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Scheduled to Vaccinate on Friday, or shoud I cancel....
Previous  1  2

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:33 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
That would be nice if it was true. Look what's going on in Israel. Many people who are fully vaccinated are hospitalized, to the extent that they want to start giving out third doses.

Sweetie, I live in Israel.

Assuming your Hebrew is far worse than mine, here are a few things for you to know:
1) Most people who had the vaccine and are hospitalized are elderly or immunocompromised (or both).
2) Most of them had the vaccine in January.
3) They have started giving third doses to the immunocompromised, since their immunity levels were low from the get-go and now they are nearly nonexistent. They are debating giving third doses to the over-60 population, since those are the people most at risk of hospitalization. We went from protecting Saba and Savta (pre-vaccine), to protecting our children (post-vaccine), back to protecting Saba and Savta (Delta variant post-vaccine).

I am probably going to turn down a third dose if it is offered to me, and it's probably not even going to be offered for at least another 4-6 weeks, because I'm not over 60, and Delta is not considered a huge risk to the individual or hospital system for vaccinated individuals who have no pre-existing conditions and are under 60 years of age.

Most people who are young, healthy, but hospitalized with corona, DID NOT get the vaccine. Period.

If you claim "oh well 77 vaccinated people are in serious condition" that shows you don't know how to analyze statistics, and that you're choosing to ignore age groups and risk factors.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:37 pm
I had fatigue and achiness the next day so I wasn't very energetic. Also sore arm. This is why some people felt that employers should give a day off for that vaccine.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 12:45 pm
trixx wrote:
Looks What's going on in Israel indeed
"Those who vaccinated are not healthier" says feiglin
https://www.israelnationalnews.....10833

Feiglin, the failed politician who accomplished all of nothing in 20+ years in the Knesset, has made up a bunch of claims and you believe him.

Let's see.
1. Haredim were not sicker than the general population. Their numbers were higher because their cities are denser. So one person infecting his household meant 10 more infections, whereas in a secular area one person infecting his household meant 3 more infections. More infections because of a higher population density does not equal "sicker."

2. After the enormous tragedies, the haredi areas started taking things seriously, masking up, davening in smaller groups, and yes, they got vaxxed en masse when they were able to. True, they didn't always make it out on time to the clinic for each member of their family. The Health Ministry brought vaccines to yeshivas, making it easy and convenient, and the yeshiva bochurim rolled up their sleeves. Same thing happened during the measles outbreak, btw. So yes, now the haredi infection rate is lower than that of the general public. They also mostly got vaccinated, and later than January. And, the haredim I know all don't want to spread coronavirus. They chapped what was happening long ago. They don't want it now, they don't want more funerals. They learned their lesson the hard way.

3. The Arab population is notorious for lack of proper health care. They don't get checked as frequently, they didn't test as often as the rest of us, they had superspreader events, they of course aren't vaccinating the way the rest of us are. That doesn't mean they are healthier. We don't really have data on the Arabs, because we only know the ones who come in to OUR hospitals. And not all of them do. In other issues of health as well, the Arab population lags far behind the Jewish population.

4. He says "after scientists have said that those who do not get vaccinated do not endanger others in any way," but this is not what science has shown. Science shows that those who received the Pfizer vaccine - which is what is given in Israel - even if they are infected, they have a much lower chance of transmitting the virus to others. That means that choosing not to vaccinate, means accepting that if you are sick you are highly likely to transmit the virus, possibly before you know that you have it.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 1:03 pm
My father is over 70 with a lot of health issues (heart issues largely). I think he only had some arm soreness after his Pfizer shots.

Most folks I know who are >60 who got the vaccines happened to have gotten Moderna because that's what was available when they got their appointments months ago, and the only side effects some of them got were a sore/itchy arm. The older among them (>80) definitely didn't describe more than that and maybe even didn't have so much of that. I have one coworker, healthy and >50 who got Moderna and he had some soreness after the first shot and nothing after the second.

My teens and I got Pfizer. Just some arm soreness after the first shot. After the second shots, we had some mild fatigue and brain fogginess, maybe very slight muscle aches for 1-2 days. For me, the severity fell between feeling totally fine and feeling sick with a very mild flu. I didn't exactly feel sick but I wasn't myself. It's hard to explain. (I'm in my 40s) I got my shots on Fridays so I wouldn't have to take off work and I planned to be lazy the weekend after the second shot.

I think someone should consult with their doctor over their specifics to ensure there isn't contraindication, and then move forward accordingly.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 1:13 pm
I'm a bit confused by those saying to ask their Rav/Rabbi. A rav studies halacha, not medicine. The only one I would be consulting regarding a health decision is someone with medical training that knows my history. (Same way I wouldn't ask my doctor about a kashrus question).

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 1:29 pm
People who have had adverse reactions or know others who did are not going to post on this thread. They'll be questioned if it's really true, how well do you know the person, maybe it's because of others reasons...

OP if you really want to know the cons open some of the other threads from the past week alone.

I will only say this (though unfortunately know more): my dad's friend is a chabad shliach. They've been wearing masks all this time. Except for one man, they all got the vaccines. A few months later and they all got Covid. The one who didn't was taking vitamins...and added some more when he got Covid one of the last. He had a mild case and recovered quickly compared to those with the vaccine. We are taking about aged 50+.

No one should convince you either way. Saying there are no risks is not true. You need to personally weigh the risk versus benefits whether to take it or not.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 1:36 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
I'm a bit confused by those saying to ask their Rav/Rabbi. A rav studies halacha, not medicine. The only one I would be consulting regarding a health decision is someone with medical training that knows my history. (Same way I wouldn't ask my doctor about a kashrus question).

Our Rav actually knows medical stuff cold.
We would also ask him regarding birth questions as well.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:36 pm
I'm over 50 (to put it mildly!)

First Pfizer, sore arm.

Second Pfizer, half a day of feeling tired and cold.

Result - feeling a lot happier for having had the vaccine Smile

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Our Rav actually knows medical stuff cold.
We would also ask him regarding birth questions as well.

How can you assume your Rav knows "medical stuff cold"? Is he also a practicing physician? How does he keep up with his medical knowledge? There have been so many advances in so many areas in the last 5 years, last 10 yrs, last 30 years. It's mind-boggling. Does he take continuing medical education to keep up with it all?

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 3:34 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
You will get the vaccine or you will get corona. Which gives you LESS of a chance of landing in the ICU? Which gives you LESS of a chance of dying? I'd bet the vaccine. But of course it's up to you.

Just remember that the Pfizer is the safest and most tested vaccine out there. Millions and millions have had it worldwide and they've been fine. The virus has been around a lot longer and millions have died, including healthy young people like you.

I and everyone I know has received the Pfizer, unless they were sick before they got the chance. Even some who recovered took one dose afterwards. I don't know of any adverse effects other than fever and sore arm and general fluey feeling for a day or two.

May the person administering it be a good shliach and may you have good health.

I think you make an excellent point. Every single person is deciding on doing which risk is safest to them. So how can you argue with that?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jul 29 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am so soooo nervous!!

I am not the strongest person in nature and have ​several (minor) health issues. Am way over 50...

What if I may be one of the minor cases that may get extremely sick and attain long term side affects as a result (damaged organs etc. etc. ch'v)

If anyone can share there own experiences or even from others you may be aware of who had negative outcomes after given the Pfizor vaccinations kindly enlighten me.

I am so undecided whether I should go ahead with it or just cancel.

ETA; I haven't read any previous threads on this subject so if there was already a thread regarding negative side affects from the vaccines I would appreciate if someone can link me to that thread. TIA

It is MOST important for people your age and the good news is older ppl have been known to get no or little side effects from it. I’m over 50 and BH had no problem at all. Do it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 1:10 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
I'm not interested in imposing my vax position onto you, so I won't suggest that you decide one way or the other.

But what I will say is that your instincts are a valuable source of information.

As someone who's trained in somatic trauma therapy I can say that going into ANY medical procedure when you're anxious about the procedure bodes poorly for the outcome.

The better way to approach any medical intervention, including vaccines and meds, is to support your nervous system-

Only when you feel completely relaxed inside about the medical intervention, that's when it's ok to go ahead with it. If there's any lingering doubt or tension in your system about the upcoming intervention, it's best to postpone the appointment and take additional time to get additional support for the nervous system.

One of the biggest mistakes ppl make is going through a medical intervention while having tension and stress about it. It's so important to NOT ignore or override the un-ease or tension we have about an upcoming doctor appointment. The thing to do is to get appropriate nervous system support.
Good Somatic Experiencing practitioners are trained to prepare anyone (child/adult) for medical appointments, so they can go to their appointments with ease and relaxation. A person with a relaxed nervous system has better outcomes .

It's called honoring the intelligence of your G-d-given temple.

Thank you Amother Peru;
Your post was very enlightening
So were the posts from the many posters that responded. Very insightful indeed.

I am absolutely not mentally ready for the vaccination.

I discussed the quoted post with my husband and he agrees that it's best we postpone it for now.

I had a minor procedure done a while ago and was extremely panicky for several days prior to the procedure.
Under normal circumstances the average person is up and about after the procedure is over.
In my case I was insanely fatigued, dizzy and shaky for two days.

I fear that due to my fear of the vaccine I may experience negative outcomes post vaccine and will therefore postpone it until I will feel ready for it emotionally.

Thank you all for your responses.
Each and every response gave me insights to think about.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics