Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any non chassidish still living in BP?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:03 am
like perhaps on the border of BP/Flatbush? higher avenues? Seems like there are some houses there for sale that are cheaper than those in flatbush. But I dont think wed fit in...we both come from more chassidish backgrounds, but are by no means chassidish at all!! are there any more "modern," "heimish," "litvish" younger people still left in BP? Just curious....

Blossom

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:08 am
Do you really think not?
I have lots of Litvish cousins and friends here. Lots of Heimish and Modern Chassidish people here too.

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:09 am
I love the label "heimish" . makes me smile every time. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:14 am
squash - in a bad way or good way?? what I mean by "heimish" is maybe thats what we consider ourselves? my husband doesnt wear a shtreimel but our minhagim are all very chassidish, we would send our girls to litvish bais yaakovs, but our boys to a school like veretzky? I dont know how else to define it.
seriously, the only times were in BP its like to visit our grandparents, so I cant imagine living there!! I KNOW there are lots of young chassidish families there (most of the ones I know/am friendly with/am related to live in the lower avenues), but that is NOT US and we would be VERY out of place. are there blocks/neighborhoods where we can find more "modern" people and a more "modern" shul where wed feel comfortable davening in (ie I could go dressed like I do in flatbush, my husband could go in a hat, and we wouldnt be looked at as the most modern people in the shul?)? if so, where are such blocks/areas? im very clueless about this. we (my parents) lived in BP for one year when we were remodeling, and it was on 19th avenue, which seemed at the time (this is seven years ago mind you!) to have more of a "variation" of people living there! but they were mostly older with families!! are there any YOUNG families, with say one or two kids? BELOW thirty years old?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:16 am
Blossom wrote:
Do you really think not?
I have lots of Litvish cousins and friends here. Lots of Heimish and Modern Chassidish people here too.

yes! the impression I get is that from the older people (ie from europe) there is a major variety from totally modern (ie still some older women left who never even covered their hair, or just wear hats, like who still daven in YI or Bnei Yehuda), then in terms of families with already married kids, those families are mostly chassidsh, but there is still a mix, alot of litvish folk left in BP. But, from the younger generation and when I say that I mean 30 and below, its mostly chassidish who are moving back. I dont have ANY non chassidish friends living in BP. Im a friendly girl, and would make friends with anyone on my block, really! but I would prefer to not be the "outsider" and the most "modern" one among everyone else whose kids only speak yiddish etc!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:17 am
I lived on 63 bet 19 and 20 ave a couple of years ago. on my block there weren't any jews until we moved out and they were chasidim. the shul we went to, on 59 bet 18 and 19, were mostly not chasidim.

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:23 am
not negative, not positive. I just like that label. it's a new "brand" I think. cuz I've only recently started hearing it.

you're right that bp is chassidish in the vast majority. I think kensington area (where we might be moving to eventually) has more of a "mix". but don't take my word for it. I'm a relative newcomer to this city. I don't live here for a long time at all.

Blossom

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:29 am
Boro park is definitely becoming more Chassidish so it may seem that there are only Chassidish people living there but it's still full of other types as well.
Modern Chassidish and Yeshivish types.

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:30 am
that's true blossom, but op said she doesn't want to feel like the 'odd one out'. chassidish pple are the majority here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating