Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Please don't YELL AT ME
1  2  Next

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 10:57 am
there is a vendor who constantly writes emails in ALL CAPS ... Usually bc I accidentally short paid or something.

I think he might be unfamiliar with the fact that email etiquette means not typing in all caps

What is a polite way to say this?

I need you smart imas... Please help

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 11:00 am
Just assume he doesn’t know it is yelling and is to lazy to capitalize the first letter of every sentence and keeps his keyboard in caps lock.
FYI, one of the medical programs that I use, all the charting is in all caps. Honestly, I spend so much time in that program that I don’t even notice.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 11:02 am
Lol!!! I had a really similar thing this week. I’m a sheitel macher and I only have call and text. No WhatsApp. On purpose. But a customer was sending me voice notes via text. Her voice notes were 1-3 mins long over 10 of them a day (we were dealing with a sale, a repair, yada yada) shed say thru voicenote “I just bumped into an old friend and she said wow I didn’t recognize you” “I’m sitting in a restaurant and I see a lady with a cute style” I literally wanted to murder her but after a week I felt it was awkward to say it. But then one morning I opened up my messages and I saw 5 voice notes that were sent in middle of the night so I finally said something in the nicest way I knew how
“I know u may not realize but I’m spending a ton of time listening to u, text is much easier for me” thanks

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
Just assume he doesn’t know it is yelling and is to lazy to capitalize the first letter of every sentence and keeps his keyboard in caps lock.
FYI, one of the medical programs that I use, all the charting is in all caps.
Honestly, I spend so much time in that program that I don’t even notice.

I thought about that. Bc years ago I had a similar thing where the program I used had that it had to be in caps. But I remember telling my friend that was the case and when I reread the email I still cringe and I'm thankful she put up with it...

But I don't think so bc I've gotten the occasional email that is not all in caps.

trixx

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 11:16 am
Hi, did you realize this email is all in caps? It's hard for me to read it. Please use standard case when communicating with us. Thank you

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 1:56 pm
trixx wrote:
Hi, did you realize this email is all in caps? It's hard for me to read it. Please use standard case when communicating with us. Thank you

Thank you Trixx. I used your words.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:00 pm
singleagain wrote:
there is a vendor who constantly writes emails in ALL CAPS ... Usually bc I accidentally short paid or something.

I think he might be unfamiliar with the fact that email etiquette means not typing in all caps

What is a polite way to say this?

I need you smart imas... Please help

Who cares? I can’t understand why someone would care if they’re reading small letters or caps. Seriously.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 4:34 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Who cares? I can’t understand why someone would care if they’re reading small letters or caps. Seriously.

Bc when you type on all caps in on the internet it is considered yelling. Would you like to be shouted at every time you open your email?

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 4:41 pm
singleagain wrote:
Bc when you type on all caps in on the internet it is considered yelling. Would you like to be shouted at every time you open your email?

It's a mindset

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
It's a mindset

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

No . This is about proper etiquette in communication through the written word going as far back as April 17, 1856

(Hey that's my birthday)

enneamom

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 4:49 pm
singleagain wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

No . This is about proper etiquette in communication through the written word going as far back as April 17, 1856

(Hey that's my birthday)

Wow, you're old! Wink

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:08 pm
enneamom wrote:
Wow, you're old! Wink

Don't tell 🤫 I'm really a time traveler who hops around the solar system with friends on a big blue box

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:14 pm
https://chrome.google.com/webs.....hl=en
Enjoy!

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:19 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/change-case/lpakoahdokkkonadfppfgmednkknpgbm?hl=en
Enjoy!

I'm confused.. is this an extension to change what I see ... That is helpful. But I can't be the only person he does that to

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 5:31 pm
singleagain wrote:

You’re assuming everyone knows that or holds from it. Ridiculous. I use caps when I type so,times and not yelling.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 6:38 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
You’re assuming everyone knows that or holds from it. Ridiculous. I use caps when I type so,times and not yelling.

It's internet etiquette. And the idea of caps = yelling obviously predates the internet, according to the link I posted.

Now that you know that it can be read that way I hope that you will think twice before sending things in all caps online.

As my mother always says "it's not what you say, it's what they hear"

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sat, Jul 31 2021, 11:04 pm
I don’t care if people follow some arbitrary rule or not, I can read their emails fine either way. My fil uses all caps because he’s a poor keyboarder and it’s easier for him. I’m well aware of email etiquette but there are plenty of people who aren’t and I could care less because it’s a random and meaningless “rule.” Unlike etiquette rules like saying please and thank you which do serve an actual valuable purpose.

amother
Viola

Post Sat, Jul 31 2021, 11:12 pm
Director WHO CARES Smile

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 12:45 am
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
I don’t care if people follow some arbitrary rule or not, I can read their emails fine either way. My fil uses all caps because he’s a poor keyboarder and it’s easier for him. I’m well aware of email etiquette but there are plenty of people who aren’t and I could care less because it’s a random and meaningless “rule.” Unlike etiquette rules like saying please and thank you which do serve an actual valuable purpose.

It's actually not. Here's a pin that explains a bit about the difference. English is evolving, the written English especially. Here's a pin that explains it better than I could

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 2:22 am
That's simple, u just reply in all caps...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette