Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
“First/front seats in shul” -meaning in europe

L K

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 1:57 pm
What does expression “first place/seat in shul” mean? Who’s be given such seat traditionally in Eastern Europe-Poland, Ukraine?

I’m translating from a different language, so it may differ from the original expression in Yiddish.

Back story: I heard this expression from two unrelated people, referring to some unrelated families/relatives.

One mentioned that her grandfather, I quote, was a respected person, not a rabbi but some sort of a judge or mediator, and people would come to seek his advice; and he held “the first place/seat in shul.”

Then, years later I heard a description of another family; that men there were kohanim and had “first places/seats in shul.”

Trying to figure out if you know what those first, or maybe front, seats are, and who would be granted the privilege to occupy them.

Thanks!

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:04 pm
In some old yekkishe shuls these seats are for the ashkanim/shul boards or rabbis and indeed kohanim. They are sitting at /or close at the bimah. I've seen it actively used once in Manchester (Shrubs) and I guess some shuls here in the Netherlands still do (I think in a few indeed but I never been aware of it I guess)

The equivalent of this in the litvishe world is that you sit close to the rov, when my husband had his aufruf he was sitting next to the rav.

L K

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:29 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
In some old yekkishe shuls these seats are for the ashkanim/shul boards or rabbis and indeed kohanim. They are sitting at /or close at the bimah. I've seen it actively used once in Manchester (Shrubs) and I guess some shuls here in the Netherlands still do (I think in a few indeed but I never been aware of it I guess)

The equivalent of this in the litvishe world is that you sit close to the rov, when my husband had his aufruf he was sitting next to the rav.

Thank you for sharing this.
What about chassidish shuls?

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 2:39 pm
L K wrote:
Thank you for sharing this.
What about chassidish shuls?

I don't know about chassidic shuls I need to jump now in the shower for shabbos I have 30 minutes till candle lighting Hi

git shabbes!

paperflowers

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 3:22 pm
I’ve seen the expression “sit in the mizrach wall” to mean someone chashuv, like a big talmid chacham. I heard of it from a litvish source.

scruffy

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 3:25 pm
The "mizrach vant" would have seats for important people, like community leaders/rosh kahal and kohanim.

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Jul 30 2021, 3:28 pm
paperflowers wrote:
I’ve seen the expression “sit in the mizrach wall” to mean someone chashuv, like a big talmid chacham. I heard of it from a litvish source.

Yes. It's even referenced in Fiddler on the Roof haha.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jul 31 2021, 3:39 pm
In the shul where I grew up there was a row of four seats in front of the Bimah and directly facing the Aron Kodesh. They were reserved for senior board members and honorary officers. (Anyone sitting in the box was expected to wear a top hat.)

The Rabbi had seat next to the Aron Kodesh. The previous Rabbi, who retired but still lived in the community, had a reserved seat in the front row of the block of seats nearest the Aron Kodesh. After he was niftar they put a little plaque on the seat with a memorial light, and no one else ever sat there again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics