Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you American ?
Previous  1  2

finprof

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:37 pm
Yep & a proud Army brat too!

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 5:43 pm
I am a Jew who happens to have American citizenship. I check off “other” on forms that ask about race.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:47 pm
I am an American: I was born in the US and am an American citizen (although I made aliyah and certainly don't regret it).

I am white.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:51 pm
Not American.
I usually self-identify as white or other, depending on the circumstances.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 9:59 pm
EstyEF wrote:
Just curious- do you consider yourself American? Do you consider yourself white? Arguably I’m both those things but I was just wondering what other people thought about this because I find myself not feeling part of American society and not feeling very white because I’m not part of that either.,” I’m not totally closed off from the outside world- mycommunity is not super insular I just don’t feel like a white American . I don’t want to start a war about race or whatever . Just wondering what other frum women felt

This discussion would probably be more meaningful if you only consider responses from people who are actually US citizens and who appear white.

The fact that someone who is on this site who is from the UK does not consider herself to be American, or who is Black and does not consider herself white, is not very meaningful.

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 10:02 pm
Currently I am an American Jew.
Jew is the noun. American is the adjective.
Please G-d, I hope to one day identify as an Anglo-Israeli Jew.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 01 2021, 11:26 pm
DrMom wrote:
This discussion would probably be more meaningful if you only consider responses from people who are actually US citizens and who appear white.

The fact that someone who is on this site who is from the UK does not consider herself to be American, or who is Black and does not consider herself white, is not very meaningful.

Yes. The OP should have defined her target audience in her initial post.
Anyway, I do define myself as white but the term means nothing more to me than skin color, as determined by my race (Caucasian). It holds no cultural connotations for me.
I am American by virtue of one of the passports that I hold.
I also feel American in the sense that the US was my birthplace and where I spent my most formative years. The place where you grow up leaves an indelible stamp on you.
I am Israeli because I live in Israel but I don't feel very typically Israeli in my mind-set or culture.
I've been here 41 years but I'm still nisht ahin nisht aher in terms of my self-identity, like many immigrants.
Most of all I am Jewish. That is the bedrock of my identity.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 3:48 am
No! Ik ben Nederlands

saw50st8

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 4:30 am
I consider myself American and White passing, not white. Jews are only considered to be white when someone wants to blame us.

naomi2

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:48 am
I consider myself Jewish first and also American.
As far as white, lately I've been uncomfortable checking the white box. I know I don't really belong there. That just because I have white skin that is not really what they mean. I look for Ashkenazi Jewish or other, sometimes I check the white box.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 7:32 am
finprof wrote:
Yep & a proud Army brat too!

You should start an AMA!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics