Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Camp disappointment
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 1:20 am
The camp that my son is currently in, had come in highly recommended and my son seems to be enjoying. But when visiting, I was so turned off by the bunkhouses/ facilities. Bunkhouse/ bathrooms/showers are so old, falling apart and moldy/dirty. Would this be a reason to try a different camp in future years?

Can people recommend a great litvish, open minded yeshivish camp that has nice bunkhouses and facilities? Thanks!!

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 1:28 am
Is your son unhappy?
As adults, we usually have higher standards.
If he’s happy and doesn’t notice the dump, then let it go.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:04 am
Here's a true story to show you that Moms are more bothered by this stuff than their male offspring!

Mom sent kid off to 4-day shabbaton, packed him 4 days worth of clothes. Kid came home, Mom unpacked bag - everything was untouched - except for one pair of socks.

Mom (horrified) said to kid " Well at least you changed your socks..." and kid replied

"No I didn't, I was cold one night so I wore 2 pairs!"

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:43 am
Going to camp and learning to make do is a valuable experience in its own merit. If the camp is a fun and safe enviroment, comes with reccomendations and your child is happy then I would leave it alone.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 6:20 am
Most camps are like that. As long as he's happy why switch?

imabima

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 8:28 am
He's happy, you're disappointed. Let it be.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:02 am
Have you been to camp as a kid? No camps look that beautiful.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:03 am
some campgrounds can be a big shock to the parents!
Still if kid is happy I'd focus on that.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:16 am
This thread brings up memories of when I was in seventh grade and first went to camp. I was having a great time. My mom came visiting day and made little remarks like "are you ok, do you have enough canteen money, the paint is so chipped, is it always this dusty, your counselors look amazing, etc." I hadn't realized that the bunkhouses were so neglected until then, and even whatever I did notice I didn't really mind. Parents and kids have different priorities.

gr82no

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:11 am
That’s what adds to the camp fun and makes memories. I laugh now about how muddy the place was and the toilet that tipped when you sat on it. I didn’t want my camp to renovate

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:14 am
My son seems happy and I did not expect the camp to be a five star hotel, but what I saw was pretty bad. Of course my son couldn't care less, but I feel so uneasy about shelling out thousands of dollars to send him to a dump. I myself went to a camp that was in very nice condition and and this was a camp that a very simple, non rich crowd sent to.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:21 am
A lot of the more expensive camps are also like this. (My son went to a less fancy camp and after mother’s in more expensive camps told me it was also rundown. I know it isn’t the cheaper camp my son goes to bec they don’t have visiting day).

The nicer camps are typically in Yeshiva dorms or college campuses. Like Degel mesivta camp is in Waterbury yeshiva. Or there are camps in the Cleveland dorm. But it is a totally diff experience.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:25 am
Mold is toxic. I would be really worried about a full month breathing in mold.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:04 am
Maybe change the title of your thread.
"Looking for ritzy camp for spoiled rich kids" or similar.

Sorry if this comes across as mean, I'm just trying to drive home the point that others are saying in a nice way. It is a positive, wholesome, and healthy experience for kids.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Maybe change the title of your thread.
"Looking for ritzy camp for spoiled rich kids" or similar.

Sorry if this comes across as mean, I'm just trying to drive home the point that others are saying in a nice way. It is a positive, wholesome, and healthy experience for kids.

LOL this made me laugh so loud because we are as simple down to earth and lower middle class as they come... We live very simply and are not spoiled at all. I'm trying to figure out how all the rich people send their kids to such camps, because if I'm not ok with it and I'm not at all rich and spoiled, how do those who are used to luxuries and all send to these places?!?!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:22 am
Any recommendations for camp with nicer/ better condition facilities? Open minded yeshivish

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The camp that my son is currently in, had come in highly recommended and my son seems to be enjoying. But when visiting, I was so turned off by the bunkhouses/ facilities. Bunkhouse/ bathrooms/showers are so old, falling apart and moldy/dirty. Would this be a reason to try a different camp in future years?

Can people recommend a great litvish, open minded yeshivish camp that has nice bunkhouses and facilities? Thanks!!

And this is why my kids never let me near the bunk bathrooms. They always had us use the ones in the shul or the office.

It says more about your kid's counselor than anything else, as most put the kids to work scrubbing the bathrooms before visiting day.

Make sure he has shower shoes, send a whole pack of toothbrushes so he can throw his out if he drops it, and don't worry. Its almost certainly not black mold.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 12:09 pm
That's why it's called "camp" and not "hotel."

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 12:18 pm
It's good for kids to rough it occasionally. It gives them an appreciation for normal life when they get home. My teenaged daughter is never so happy to sleep in her own room and share a bathroom with her siblings as when she's just home from camp. She actually says she prefers the bunks that have wood slat floors in the bathroom as opposed to tiles because they don't flood since the water can go right through the holes!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
LOL this made me laugh so loud because we are as simple down to earth and lower middle class as they come... We live very simply and are not spoiled at all. I'm trying to figure out how all the rich people send their kids to such camps, because if I'm not ok with it and I'm not at all rich and spoiled, how do those who are used to luxuries and all send to these places?!?!

Lol. The way you wrote that made me think that you see yourself as rich and pampered, and don't want your spoiled progeny associating with the poor kids.

If your kids are happy there and the environment seems positive for their development, I really don't know why you would switch camps for next year. There's something really special about developing long-term relationships with friends over years in camp. If they are good kids who are positive for your children, why would you take a chance at a different environment? Aesthetics shouldn't really play into the decision, especially if the kids don't care / don't notice.

Honestly maybe you should stay away from the bunkhouse next year so that this negative attitude doesn't interfere with their positive experience
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries