Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Nut Free Peanut Chews?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:23 am
I have to send peanut chews to a nut free school, molded into a 3D shape.
Know the basic peanut chews recipe?
That texture I find easy to mold.
But what can I replace the PB with?
Anyone tried lotus cream?

sky

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:25 am
Can you do rice krispy treats with marshmallow fluff.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:36 am
sky wrote:
Can you do rice krispy treats with marshmallow fluff.

Thanks.
Marshmallow fluff wont work due to an egg sensitivity.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:36 am
I have actually used lotus creme in recipes that require peanut butter, due to having a niece who is allergic to peanuts.

Never tried it in peanut chews, but why not?

(I do it in a recipe for peanut butter cupcakes with a molten chocolate center. My kids say the peanut version is much better, but my sister's family makes it all the time after having tasted it with the lotus creme the time I made it for them.)

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 10:42 am
What about sunflower seed butter

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 12:33 pm
Nut Free Peanut Chews?

That is so weird. Why would a school request such a thing? That's like asking for egg-free omelets, or a salad without fruits or vegetables.

Why not just ask for something normal that is non allergenic? If they are going to ask for something that oddly specific, the least they could do is give you a recipe and list of approved ingredients.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 1:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nut Free Peanut Chews?

That is so weird. Why would a school request such a thing? That's like asking for egg-free omelets, or a salad without fruits or vegetables.

Why not just ask for something normal that is non allergenic? If they are going to ask for something that oddly specific, the least they could do is give you a recipe and list of approved ingredients.

Seriously this.

Haddar brand (I think it's them, could be another Heimish brand) makes something called Wow Butter which is peanut and tree nut free made out of soybeans IIRC. You can try that, although I'm not putting bets on how good it will taste..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 1:05 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nut Free Peanut Chews?

The school didn't request. They're having a party and my child wants to take peanut chews, but the school is a nut free facility.
Think I'll just use soy butter. Lotus cream seemed more appetizing, but don't wanna risk the texture.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:00 pm
I've use soy butter and it's actually not bad.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:03 pm
I have seen recipes using techina to make rice crispy treats. I wonder if that would work?

lauful

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:06 pm
Melt mini marshmallows and margarine/butter and coat Rice Krispies. You can also add in some chocolate or food coloring if you want it to be brown.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 2:35 pm
As a preschool teacher we once served wow butter sandwiches for a lag ba'omer picnic. The mother of one of my peanut allergy kids was not too happy. Keeping in mind that her child was not even 3 yet, she said that although technically it was not a problem, she didn't not want her kid to eat anything that remotely smelled like peanut butter. Wow butter smells like peanut butter even though it isn't. She wasn't secure that once that red line of not staying away from that smell was crossed, the young child might accidentally ingest something that really contained peanut butter.
I definitely could see it from her point of view.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
As a preschool teacher we once served wow butter sandwiches for a lag ba'omer picnic. The mother of one of my peanut allergy kids was not too happy. Keeping in mind that her child was not even 3 yet, she said that although technically it was not a problem, she didn't not want her kid to eat anything that remotely smelled like peanut butter. Wow butter smells like peanut butter even though it isn't. She wasn't secure that once that red line of not staying away from that smell was crossed, the young child might accidentally ingest something that really contained peanut butter.
I definitely could see it from her point of view.

I don't want to derail the thread completely, but you have a good point. I have heard too many stories of people with dairy allergy accidentally drinking milk because they thought it was their usual nondairy milk. I'm not sure what the solution is, but it's interesting food for thought, especially when dealing with very small children.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 3:44 pm
Sunflower seed butter?

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 3:59 pm
No Whey might have some products that either you could order or make a copycat recipe of. All products free of the 8 major allergens.

Debbig

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have seen recipes using techina to make rice crispy treats. I wonder if that would work?

Yes it works. I’ve done it. I’m trying to remember where the recipe is from.
The people I made it for with nut allergies really liked them.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:10 pm
My kids are allergic to pb and I use soy butter all the time and they love soy chews. It does not smell anything like pb at all. Actually has a weird smell

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:17 pm
OP, is your child allergic or are other kids allergic or is it just overall a nut free school? If your child isn’t the one who is allergic, personally I’d be looking in the direction of finding other foods to bring. Why are you making things so unnecessarily difficult?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 1:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have to send peanut chews to a nut free school, molded into a 3D shape.
Know the basic peanut chews recipe?
That texture I find easy to mold.
But what can I replace the PB with?
Anyone tried lotus cream?

I have seen peanut chews made with lotus butter and its actually really good! A bit sweeter than peanut chews

Ma3

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 3:44 am
out-of-towner wrote:
Seriously this.

Haddar brand (I think it's them, could be another Heimish brand) makes something called Wow Butter which is peanut and tree nut free made out of soybeans IIRC. You can try that, although I'm not putting bets on how good it will taste..

I actually bought the Haddar wow butter you're mentioning. Tastes exactly like peanut butter!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics