Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Nut Free Peanut Chews?
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:32 am
I hope that there are no kids in this school who have soy allergies. It's a lot more common than you'd think.

Another thing to consider, is that it's believed that too many soy products can mess with a growing child's hormones. Soy is a phytoestrogen, and it turns into estrogen in the system. Some scientists think it's why girls are developing so quickly. (Some people also think that too much estrogen is making boys g@y. The jury is out on that one, though.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I hope that there are no kids in this school who have soy allergies. It's a lot more common than you'd think.

Another thing to consider, is that it's believed that too many soy products can mess with a growing child's hormones. Soy is a phytoestrogen, and it turns into estrogen in the system. Some scientists think it's why girls are developing so quickly. (Some people also think that too much estrogen is making boys g@y. The jury is out on that one, though.)

Soy's in everything. Start with margarine. I've never been told to avoid it. Kids probably know not to eat just anything. I know parents who send special treats for their highly allergic kids for those kinds of occasions.

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Sesame allergy is super-common, and people were suggesting tehina. Thing is, if the school is nut-free, kids with any other allergies know they still have to be vigilant. Nut-free never meant allergy-safe.

smile4ever

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:36 am
I've made rice crispy treats with sun butter. Doesn't taste like pb but was still good

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:43 am
Thanks all. I made it with the Hadar Wow butter. It's really good, tastes almost like PB. And it came out really cute! I made it in the shape of the topic of the siyum.

The school is a nut free facility. I believe it's because the nut allergen can cause reactions when smelled, unlike most other allergens. A child that's highly allergic to certain foods should know not to eat unlabeled/homemade food.
I agree that soy is unhealthy, and I wouldn't want to feed it to my child daily.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I believe it's because the nut allergen can cause reactions when smelled, unlike most other allergens.

I know you mean no harm and you're just quoting what you've been told, but this is not scientifically accurate. Nuts are no more likely to cause airborne reactions than other allergens. Why schools became nut-free, but did not eliminate other allergens is really beyond me, but it's based on mistaken assumptions. I apologize for hijacking, it's a pet peeve of mine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 9:50 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I know you mean no harm and you're just quoting what you've been told, but this is not scientifically accurate. Nuts are no more likely to cause airborne reactions than other allergens. Why schools became nut-free, but did not eliminate other allergens is really beyond me, but it's based on mistaken assumptions. I apologize for hijacking, it's a pet peeve of mine.

That's interesting. Maybe because it's the most common airborne allergen? I don't know. Was just quoting.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:53 pm
Relative of a relative breaks out from fish cooking.

My daughter says her son can have an asthma attack when she cooks something that bothers him and it goes into the vents.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:10 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have seen recipes using techina to make rice crispy treats. I wonder if that would work?

Please do not use techina. Sesame allergies can be fatal!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:44 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:

All allergies can be fatal. People who have allergies need to know to ask what's in the food they want to eat. Sesame is no more fatal than sunflower or soy, or even lotus butter, to someone who is allergic. That's the baffling (and frustrating) thing about allergies. One person's safe food is another person's poison.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:29 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
All allergies can be fatal. People who have allergies need to know to ask what's in the food they want to eat. Sesame is no more fatal than sunflower or soy, or even lotus butter, to someone who is allergic. That's the baffling (and frustrating) thing about allergies. One person's safe food is another person's poison.

Absolutely correct. I and my family have anaphylactic reactions, so we know this. We have found techina mixed into dips (roasted pepper) and into Tuna (in EY). What I meant is little kids (in the class who were eating these peanut chews) would know to ask if it contains peanuts, but wouldn't know to ask if it contains sesame.
My relative ordered vegetable sushi, NO sesame and NO fish. They thought they were safe. Had an anaphylactic reaction and later confirmed that the store put in cashews. Who thought to request NO NUTS? We now know.
What I meant in my original post was not to put in techina in a food where it would be unexpected to have it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:

A kid with that degree of allergy is probably trained to never eat from another person's home without his parents' explicit permission.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics