Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Passport question, not sure where to put this

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 4:59 pm
I went to get a passport at the beginning of June. I had it expedited because I thought my husband and I were going to go away with our daughter, but we ended up not. I got it back a few weeks ago, but it is only valid for a year. Today I got a letter in the mail (with my documents) saying that the picture didn’t fit the requirements, so they only issued it for a year, and I need to update it ASAP. The letter said that if you have any questions, you can call the number they put. I tried about 20 times. After following all the prompts I either get disconnected or get to a message and then can’t get back to the main options and I have to hang up and try again. Is there any way to actually speak to a person? Alternatively is there anyone I can speak to who can help me? I took my picture at the post office, so I’m not sure how it would not fit the requirements.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 5:00 pm
If government offices were crazy before Covid, they become 100 times crazier since.
Very frustrating but keep trying...

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 7:03 pm
I think I’m just going to send in the form to get a new one, and forget trying to talk to anyone….

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 7:20 pm
Maybe try the post office since they handle passport applications.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 8:51 pm
Sunshine Photo in Brooklyn is very experienced in passport picture regulations. Sometimes it feels they're taking it to an extreme, but their pictures don't get rejected.
They don't allow hats, glasses, bangs (pin them to the side), no hair on the forehead, eyebrows and forehead must be fully visible. There has to be specific amount of white background space all around the face in the picture.
If you can't get to Brooklyn, call them and ask if they can guide you from afar.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:00 pm
My husband said he thinks the problem is I was wearing a tickle? I don’t think that’s true though….

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:03 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
My husband said he thinks the problem is I was wearing a tickle? I don’t think that’s true though….
It could be.

gingleale

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:04 pm
The passport agency wants to see a hairline. So if your tichel was down on your forehead with no visible hairline it is a problem.

Reality

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:09 pm
What is weird is it got accepted at all. Plenty of times it us rejected and you have to send a new picture.

It shouldn't be because of a tichel. If you cover for religious reasons then it is allowed.

I would keep trying to call. Try to call first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It could be.

I took my picture at the post office. If it was a problem, why wouldn’t the guy tell me? And how could it be an issue if Muslim women can wear a hijab?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:13 pm
gingleale wrote:
The passport agency wants to see a hairline. So if your tichel was down on your forehead with no visible hairline it is a problem.

The guy at the post office should know how to take an acceptable picture. Muslims don’t have to pull their hijab back to see the hairline, why should I? (Also, my hairline was visible.)

Ema of 5

Reality wrote:
What is weird is it got accepted at all. Plenty of times it us rejected and you have to send a new picture.

It shouldn't be because of a tichel. If you cover for religious reasons then it is allowed.

I would keep trying to call. Try to call first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

I will try again in the morning. Thanks!

ra_mom

Ema of 4 wrote:
I took my picture at the post office. If it was a problem, why wouldn’t the guy tell me? And how could it be an issue if Muslim women can wear a hijab?

They sometimes don't know what's necessary themselves.

simcha2

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:17 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

I just got my passport- with tichel.

I included a letter stating that I fully cover my hair for religious reasons. As per the instructions on the application.

chava101

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 9:28 pm
I ran into delays with getting 2 out of 7 passports I had expedited. My local council reached out to the assemblyman of my district on my behalf - the issues were resolved very quick.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics