Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please don’t do this!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:26 pm
I was standing in line at an attraction this week. There was a Jewish woman standing in front of me. The line was long and didn’t move that quick. We inched along and as we thought we were almost there this woman’s children and grandchildren joined her in the line.

I was very bothered- but leave me aside for a moment. I saw the annoyed looks on the non-Jewish people waiting in line.

Have some manners, have some dignity when you are with your family. You represent our nation, do your best to do so properly. There’s so much negative media coverage out there, don’t give people a reason to hate us more.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:30 pm
I do this at the airport. I am a horrible person?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:36 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

You're not a horrible person but I would never do that and don't consider that to be proper behavior.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:44 pm
Omg, this makes my blood boil! I don't stay quiet in this situation and I give them a piece of my mind. It is such a horrible thing to do.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 02 2021, 11:45 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

It's really not a nice and not a mentchlich thing to do. You either all wait together the entire time or you go to the back of the line when your family arrives.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:00 am
So not nice.
Reminds me when I go shopping, someone is online in front of me and runs to do her shopping meanwhile and keeps coming back with more items.
Or when a mother and husband/child waits on two lines with two wagons to see which line moves faster and then brings the second wagon to check out.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:06 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

At least at the airport, usually each group is processed together, so it doesn't make a huge difference if when you finally get to the front you're checking in for one person at a time or 5.

At a ride or attraction, each person takes up extra space and effectively pushes the line back by that many people.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
So not nice.
Reminds me when I go shopping, someone is online in front of me and runs to do her shopping meanwhile and keeps coming back with more items.
Or when a mother and husband/child waits on two lines with two wagons to see which line moves faster and then brings the second wagon to check out.

I once had that a mom stationed her kid on line with a wagon and she kept on coming to add stuff. I just went and pusbed the wagon out of the line. The kid went to stand next to the wagon and the people on line in back of me said thank you. When the mom came back and saw, the guy standing behind me in line kindly told the mother to finish her shopping and then get in the line.
Some people are just rude.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:09 am
Having one person hold a spot on line at most amusement parks is grounds to be thrown out with no refund.
It’s wrong.
Truth is I see ppl of all nationalities doing it all the time at parks and it is wrong.
The only times it’s maybe ok is to leave the line to use the bathroom and then rejoin. Was once on 2 hour line and even then ppl were crumbling when guests did that.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:14 am
groovy1224 wrote:
At least at the airport, usually each group is processed together, so it doesn't make a huge difference if when you finally get to the front you're checking in for one person at a time or 5.

At a ride or attraction, each person takes up extra space and effectively pushes the line back by that many people.

Not really. At an airport even though you go as a group to one agent they still gotta process however many are in the group which takes longer the more ppl there are so you are holding up the agent from helping the next person in line. It’s really the same exact thing

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:15 am
I would speak up in front of everyone and tell her she’s wrong. So the non Jewish people see that we don’t all act this way.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:17 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

I don't know about horrible, but definitely inconsiderate. Please don't do this. There's no reason that everyone else should wait on line while your family doesn't.

Zehava

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:20 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
So not nice.

Once someone did this and she wasn’t there by her turn. I went ahead of her and she was so mad.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:23 am
I'm really confused because I don't think of myself as an inconsiderate person at all, quite the opposite actually.

While I wouldn't do what the family in OP's story did, I certainly have my husband get in line with some things while I still walk around. Maybe because of my ADHD but I have a hard time standing in a very long checkout line. In the airport as well, my husband will stand by check-in - but if my kids and I get restless we have sat by the wall on occasion until it's our turn.

Did I learn something new today?

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:30 am
At the airport, I wouldn't mind this.

As someone stated, they have to process the group together anyway. Besides, who wants to stand on a long line with a bunch if restless kids in front of you?

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 1:15 am
By rides, the only time I'll do that is if the person joining doesn't make it take any longer for the others behind. Such as a ferris wheel, where it's either the 2 of us in the same car, or the other 2 who joined us now joining our car and not taking up any more space. And even then, I'd ask the people behind me if it's ok, being that they're joining our car

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:47 am
I think this is one of the things that bothers me most in life. I mean there's things that bother me more but as far as day-to-day little things. I have been at the grocery store where I think I'm next in line and the person will come up with another huge overflowing cart that could take a good 15 minutes. I'm not talking about one or two items. I always learned that it is a halacha and you have to ask the person behind you if it's okay for you to add the items. My kids are a little bit embarrassed when I asked but I feel like I don't care at least I know I'm doing the right thing. So doing that an amusement park or where you are waiting at the airport unless someone is just running to the bathroom with sometimes happens is incomprehensible to me. Just adding I was told it is a halacha have stealing because you are taking their time. And I'm in Israel where these are religious people that are doing it oftentimes.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:51 am
At the airport I sure would not mind if say an expecting mother and kids sat down while poppa waited in line- they’re not making it secret and makes sense.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I'm really confused because I don't think of myself as an inconsiderate person at all, quite the opposite actually.

While I wouldn't do what the family in OP's story did, I certainly have my husband get in line with some things while I still walk around. Maybe because of my ADHD but I have a hard time standing in a very long checkout line. In the airport as well, my husband will stand by check-in - but if my kids and I get restless we have sat by the wall on occasion until it's our turn.

Did I learn something new today?

Yes, please learn something new. Shoppers like me will choose a line based on how much is in the other carts in the line. When I am in a hurry, I will pick the line with the fewest items. It's so frustrating and very inconsiderate when someone does what you do at the grocery store because it really adds to the wait times of the people behind you; this affects more than just you. Sure, I may be in line and remember I forgot one item and send my child to run for it, but thats one thing and not a regular occurrence. Most of us have hard times standing in line at the store, but this is part of going shopping. May I suggest ordering on-line when you can so you can avoid this?

I do not travel often enough for an opinion on the airport line situation.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Aug 03 2021, 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:59 am
sky wrote:
Having one person hold a spot on line at most amusement parks is grounds to be thrown out with no refund.
It’s wrong.
Truth is I see ppl of all nationalities doing it all the time at parks and it is wrong.
The only times it’s maybe ok is to leave the line to use the bathroom and then rejoin. Was once on 2 hour line and even then ppl were crumbling when guests did that.

And a lot of parks have signs posted where lines tend to be long to remind people they are not allowed to do this.

I was once at Six Flags (not in NY/NJ) on a chol hamoed. I live near a place where people love to visit for chaggim and vacations, so when there is a chol hamoed, our Six Flags gets to be very full of out of town frum visitors, and the chillul Hashem is horrible. I'm talking about more than the line jumping; heimish wrappers on the floor and tables, people leaving their babies in strollers at the ride entrance in the kiddy area as if it was a shoe store in BP, and yes, line jumping.

People can see us and at a glance identify us a Jews. We have to be better than this.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics