Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Who diagnosed your child with inattentive ADHD
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:40 am
If you suspected it, how did you go about the process? Neuropsych/ psychiatrist/ family doctor
Im not looking for s/o yo give me the diagnosis just because spaces out in class. I want a real assessment.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:48 am
Our Children's Hospital has a dedicated ADHD research center. We had our child evaluated by a clinical psychologist (PhD) there. We didn't do a full neuropsych evaluation because we did not suspect any learning disabilities, mental illness, or other issues. A basic ADHD evaluation will screen for other things, but not very rigorously in my opinion.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:18 am
Get a neuropsychologist if you want the total picture.

greenhelm

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:39 am
Our paediatrician referred us to a psychiatrist at our local children’s hospital .

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:45 am
Neuropsych

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:52 am
I believe its a learning disabilities - bh milder in nature. I also am wondering if theres an attention component. What do you suggest?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you suspected it, how did you go about the process? Neuropsych/ psychiatrist/ family doctor
Im not looking for s/o yo give me the diagnosis just because spaces out in class. I want a real assessment.

My son was diagnosed the first time by a neurologist, then by a developmental ped when he was older. The first diagnosis was when he was 2 or 3, so we needed another one before we could start meds.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I believe its a learning disabilities - bh milder in nature. I also am wondering if theres an attention component. What do you suggest?

Take your child for a neuro-psych eval. I don’t know where you live, but in NYC they can be done privately or through the board of Ed.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:04 am
Hypothyroidism can cause symptoms that look like inattentive adhd. I would want to rule that out using the lab guidelines from stop the thyroid madness. Food sensitivities or allergies are also a common cause of brain fog that looks just like spaciness.

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Go to a neuropsych. My daughter is going into second grade and we got her evaluated last year and she was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) and learning disabilities. It was a very comprehensive exam over 3 days a few hours each day. I used Dr. Davidowicz in Great Neck.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
My son was diagnosed the first time by a neurologist, then by a developmental ped when he was older. The first diagnosis was when he was 2 or 3, so we needed another one before we could start meds.
why would you start meds at so young for anyone reading this ALL BABIES HAVE ADD thats how they handle teething please please dont drug your kids so tiny I was medicated for add at 5 and till today im suffering because of it and no years later they found out that no I dont have add but I do have an imature brain because of the drugs

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 3:45 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
why would you start meds at so young for anyone reading this ALL BABIES HAVE ADD thats how they handle teething please please dont drug your kids so tiny I was medicated for add at 5 and till today im suffering because of it and no years later they found out that no I dont have add but I do have an imature brain because of the drugs

Huh? He didn’t start meds until he was 8!! I think you misunderstood what I wrote….

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 3:49 pm
Babies handle teething because they have ADD? What does one thing have to do with the other?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:53 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Babies handle teething because they have ADD? What does one thing have to do with the other?
it helps them when theres pain they get distracted and forget their troubles

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 4:58 pm
Huh? He didn’t start meds until he was 8!! I think you misunderstood what I wrote….

eights better than two but twelve is even better look im not saying some ppl are born with problems but the amount of kids on meds is beyond absurd

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
Go to a neuropsych. My daughter is going into second grade and we got her evaluated last year and she was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) and learning disabilities. It was a very comprehensive exam over 3 days a few hours each day. I used Dr. Davidowicz in Great Neck.

Thanks! What made you go so young? What were her issues? Did the school push you? My daughters school is just saying she's a weaker student and offering to put her in remedial math and chumash. Im more concerned. When does it warrant an evaluation?
Also, how did the information help you- did you get services? Did you medicate?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 5:34 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
eights better than two but twelve is even better look im not saying some ppl are born with problems but the amount of kids on meds is beyond absurd

Where do you get off? Do you know my child? Do you know our situation? How dare you tell a parent that they medicated their child too early, or that they should have waited, when you have no idea what was going on?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 9:19 pm
Where do you get off? Do you know my child? Do you know our situation? How dare you tell a parent that they medicated their child too early, or that they should have waited, when you have no idea what was going on?

Your right I don't know your child or your family and if it's right for you fine I know kids who definitely have add/ADHD I'm only saying this as a warning to EVERYONE don't medicate your child just because the school or teacher said something was wrong check it out yes but checking it out means checking out why the teacher recommended it in my case she didn't like that I stuck up to a bully and refused to nap among other things had my parents done a simple investigation they would have found out that the teacher was the wrong one but no they got scared because the school said they won't take me back unless I was medicated so here I am and no I don't think I can ever forgive and forget

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 9:27 pm
Also another thing I know someone who also was diagnosed with adhd and another attention disorder I forget which she started in first grade by third grade she decided she had enough and secretly stopped taking her meds three the pills in the toilet every morning she said she had so much fun every day the teacher would quietly ask her if she took her "vitamins" that morning and she'd randomly answer yes or no if she was in the mood to be sent out

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Your right I don't know your child or your family and if it's right for you fine I know kids who definitely have add/ADHD I'm only saying this as a warning to EVERYONE don't medicate your child just because the school or teacher said something was wrong check it out yes but checking it out means checking out why the teacher recommended it in my case she didn't like that I stuck up to a bully and refused to nap among other things had my parents done a simple investigation they would have found out that the teacher was the wrong one but no they got scared because the school said they won't take me back unless I was medicated so here I am and no I don't think I can ever forgive and forget
this is a coment I will never forget because it so strongly reflects my life!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics